Brewery Updates in Minnesota (2020)

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by islay, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,151) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

A whole lotta brickin goin’ on.

I keep thinking of this (islay-local) place, which ain’t that old:

https://brickfieldbrewing.com/story/

2. nograz

nograz Disciple (376) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Brickfield has been great for that community. My wife grew up there and her parents still like out there so we are there often, so we were excited when we heard about it. It is also nice to have a place we can go with the entire family and also is not a dark bar like all the bars in the area.

The beer is ok, not great, but I haven't had trouble finding something to drink.

I think my favorite part is all the farmers raving about the IPA milk shake. These are the same type of people that have scrunched up their noses at my "fancy beers" at bonfires and other social gatherings throughout the years. Now they are enjoying those beers and willing to try new stuff.

maximum12, Chaz and HammsMeASAP like this.
  3. RAH-RAH-Beer

RAH-RAH-Beer Initiate (29) Jan 1, 2019 Minnesota

I think there is a mix up between two breweries with similar names. Brickfield brewing is in Grantsburg, Wisconsin and Bricksworth Beer Company is a brewery that is not yet open in Burnsville, Minnesota.

gatornation likes this.
  4. Xanthophhyll

Xanthophhyll Initiate (14) Sep 25, 2017 Minnesota

Drove past the former Gull Dam Brewery today. There's a big ROUNDHOUSE sign now outside of it. Wonder when they'll be opening?

DCP426 and Chaz like this.
  5. RAH-RAH-Beer

Is Roundhouse moving there or is this a second outlet? Are they going to brew there?

Xanthophhyll likes this.
  6. TrailsandAles

TrailsandAles Initiate (23) Sep 10, 2014 Minnesota

Xanthophhyll and Chaz like this.
  7. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,437) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

This is some very sad news just across the border, in Fargo, ND:

Flatland Brewery
    1 hr ·
    It is with great sadness that we are sharing our upcoming closure. We personally want to thank each of you for your support and patronage over the past four years. Our dream to provide unique and tasteful beers has come to an end as a result of the ongoing COVID 19 measures and the hardship it has caused to our business.

We will be closing our doors on August 2nd but want to share with you several kegs of excellent beer in our cooler before then! Watch social media for tapping announcements and discounted pricing on all remaining brews.

Serving you has been our greatest pleasure and we will miss being a part of the West Fargo / Fargo community. We continue to support our community and those who work and live here.

Again, thank you for your past support and patronage.

8. HeadRetention

HeadRetention Initiate (67) Jul 13, 2015 Minnesota

9. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

10. fargofallout

fargofallout Initiate (50) Nov 30, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

That sucks. I only made it out there once, but I wanted to get out there again once all of this Covid crap was over.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  11. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,856) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Redrover and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  12. Chumley22

Chumley22 Initiate (80) Sep 28, 2013 Minnesota

Boom Island- I have been back a number of times since re-opening and have not seen Founder Kevin Welch as of late. He is also not listed in the team photos on the web site- anyone know if he is still around? Would be a shame if his time was cut short after the new partnership and move. Would be very disappointed if there has been an unfriendly departure!

13. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (238) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Maybe this guy knows?
    https://untappd.com/user/Wolvesbill/checkin/907643222

14. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (129) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Looks like there's a new brewery in Burnsville, called Ineffable Brewing. According to their Facebook page, it looks like it will be replacing Nutmeg? One of the posts said that the Nutmeg Brewhouse was still open, but seemed to indicate it would be replaced. An October 2020 opening is targeted.

#214 grantcty, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Chaz and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  15. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (121) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

Chaz likes this.
  16. Chaz

Society Trader

I heard today through the “grapevine*” that they have sold to a new group of investors.

There’s nothing set in stone yet, but the earlier talk of a kitchen seems to still be in the planning stages for the future.

The new owners probably won’t be returning to any of the previous names or naming conventions (Flat Earth, Saint Paul Brewing), but you never can tell!

* The head brewer’s wife. She’s a friend of the place I work at.

17. RAH-RAH-Beer

Chaz and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  18. RAH-RAH-Beer

The brewers came from LTD Brewing Co. in Hopkins according to their web site. There address is currently on CR 42 a couple miles east of where Nutmeg is. It is not clear if they are going to take over Nutmeg.

grantcty likes this.
  19. TrailsandAles

TrailsandAles Initiate (23) Sep 10, 2014 Minnesota

Chaz likes this.
  20. RAH-RAH-Beer

Ashby Brewing has opened another tap room/ pizza place in Battle Lake. In Google maps it shows as ABC Brewing.

21. LOWFisherman

LOWFisherman Initiate (16) Sep 21, 2018 Minnesota

Chaz and HammsMeASAP like this.
  22. Chaz

Society Trader

I’m not going to jump and skip through the STrib paywall, so I entered a generic search string into Google, and found this (local coverage) from late last year:

https://trftimes.com/news/12562/brewery-to-open-next-year-in-trf

On a wild-ass guess, I’d imagine that their start-up and estimated opening date have been impacted by COVID-19, and the inexorable suckitude of 2020.

23. RAH-RAH-Beer

This weekend I went to ABC Brewing in Battle Lake, MN and they have the equipment in place but haven't started brewing there yet. They are still getting their beer from Ashby. I had a flight of 4 and my favorite was the IPA.

Victory_Sabre1973 and Chaz like this.
  24. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

Well, apparently St. Paul Brewing has risen from the dead, per their Facebook page:

[​IMG]
    Saint Paul Brewing
    20m ·

It's true! We open this Wednesday! Come celebrate with us and enjoy a cold one on our beautiful patio!

Reserve a table here: https://v2.waitwhile.com/welcome/stpaulbrewing

Our hours this week are:
    Wednesday & Thursday: 3pm - 10pm
    Friday & Saturday: 11am - 11pm
    Sunday: 11am - 8pm

We are a dog friendly patio

Chaz and gatornation like this.
  25. muck1979

muck1979 Initiate (54) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

Why this brewery has yet to come out with some sort of Hamm's knock-off is beyond me. I'm sure Molson Coors wouldn't even take notice.

Victory_Sabre1973 and Chaz like this.
  26. Chaz

Society Trader

There’s a pretty long history of Minnesota brewers making versions of “recipes“ (brands) of other Minnesota brewery’s brands, so you’re right to an extent.

I’m not sure whether Saint Paul Brewing (or Flat Earth, previously) had ever brewed a lower ABV pale, adjunct lager, but it couldn’t hurt them to try!

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  27. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (56) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

So does St Paul Brewing have new owners and new brewers? Cuz they should probably get both if you ask me. Also Ive suggested this place make a "big fresh taste" lager from the "blue waters" well they have on site and for the fact that well they are where they are...duh.

28. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,454) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

To be honest I'm not real confident they could brew a clean version of that. Clean, lager brewing is not what I associate with their beers. Guess you never know.

surfninja likes this.
  29. brewerybuilder

brewerybuilder Initiate (5) Apr 9, 2019 Minnesota

Arbeiter in Minneapolis has a CO and I have been told they have started brewing.

edbeered and HammsMeASAP like this.
  30. grantcty

Trader

South x Southeast Brewing just outside of Pine Island is now open for to-go sales--but seemingly just for those who signed up for their newsletter.

The initial lineup for to go included: a blonde ale, a scotch ale, a peanut butter milk stout, a NE IPA, and an amber ale.

HammsMeASAP and Chaz like this.
  31. grantcty

Trader

Per their Facebook page, they've opened the sales up to the public.

Chaz likes this.
  32. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (4,036) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

They went in the old cheese shop/ homebrew store? I remember hearing something like that around here.

grantcty likes this.
  33. grantcty

Trader

Yep, that's the spot. It definitely doesn't look like it used to.

34. LOWFisherman

LOWFisherman Initiate (16) Sep 21, 2018 Minnesota

That is the only thing I’ve heard on it. But as you stated, that was some time ago now.

You could be right on the effects of covid

35. A__J__H

A__J__H Initiate (27) Dec 7, 2017 Minnesota

36. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (238) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

maximum12 likes this.
  37. Grave252

Grave252 Initiate (63) Mar 12, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Whatever one thinks of Surly, this is certainly bad news. If they can’t make it, how can these smaller breweries?

I don’t want to make this some hot topic, but there has to be a tipping point somewhere along the line in which people push back on government and say it’s time to reopen and live. The effects of lockdowns and closures are far outweighing the danger of the virus, and eventually we are going to reach a point of no return. That will likely come this winter when hundreds more local watering holes shutter for good as outside dining
    disappears in the cold. We’re on day 150 of “2 weeks to slow the spread” and expect it to drag on for many more months despite declining hospitalizations and deaths.

38. dbhammel

dbhammel Initiate (71) Oct 24, 2016 Minnesota

In some ways I would think smaller breweries are better equipped to get through these times. Much lower overhead from a labor/utilities/property standpoint, ability to make smaller batches of beer, ease of pivoting to different styles etc. There are certainly pros and cons for both sides but I can see smaller breweries having an easier time going super lean.

39. HawkEye19

HawkEye19 Initiate (109) Jun 15, 2006 Minnesota

Goddamnit, and I liked this thread too.

Xanthophhyll, JMN44, cmannes and 2 others like this.
  40. fargofallout

fargofallout Initiate (50) Nov 30, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Good lord. They'll have to open it again someday, right? I would think if it's permanent, you'd use that word rather than indefinite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.