Brewery Updates in Minnesota (2020)

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by islay, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawkEye19

HawkEye19 Initiate (109) Jun 15, 2006 Minnesota

If they don't, that's alot of taxes and mortgage being paid on a large, empty space.

2. Grave252

Grave252 Initiate (63) Mar 12, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Sorry, I'll sit out now. Just frustrating. Carry on!

3. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,916) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

It does come on the heels.of the employees voting to unionize. That and acombination of lost revenue with high overhead to be open, thats hard to sustain I look for them to open again April/May of 2021.

JMN44 and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  4. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,007) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Surly's Beer Hall is a large beer-centered restaurant. It is much different from smaller brewery's taproom in size, overhead, sources of revenue, and number of employees.

The Beer Hall is at a disadvantage compared to other restaurants. Because Surly is a brewery, MN law forbade them from selling beer to go, even though their restaurant competition could.

And (an assumption on my part), Surly's Beer Hall provided a larger percentage of the company's revenue and profits than the taprooms of other similar sized breweries in MN. Surly seemed to distribute only their flagship beers while having a large and diverse collection of taproom only beers.

Their statement says at this point, the Beer Hall is a major financial drain on the company.

I wonder if they will now ramp up the variety of beers they package and put into distribution?

What I find odd is the long lead time to closing - 2 months!

Perhaps that is weather related. But that would indicate they are at least making some money so long as they can seat people outside.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  5. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,916) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Most likely 60 days notice,due to layoffs?

6. HawkEye19

HawkEye19 Initiate (109) Jun 15, 2006 Minnesota

That's sure what it sounds like.

The optics of this make Surly look anti-Union. It's likely that the decision was made (as they say) weeks ago to close the beer hall, but why wait until November? By that time, it can be cold up here, and their patio/outside service will dry up (only costing them more money). Timing of this just comes across as odd.

7. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (612) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

I'm glad this group is discussing the Surly situation fairly and calmly. It seems the pitchforks are out on Twitter/Instagram....

MNAle and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  8. MNAle

Society

Yes, me, too.

The timing is bad relative to the union issue, but lacking any facts other than the timing, I think it is unreasonable and unfair to accuse them of anything other than struggling under the COVID-19 edicts.

Besides, Twitter and Instagram ARE Torches and Pitchforks Nation.

9. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,151) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

10. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (121) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

If Surly had been planning on the closing for weeks, why still have job postings online?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  11. MNAle

Society

The source of the accusations seems to be the union organizer.

The past would suggest people with that position tend to grandstand to the media.

If, indeed, Omar decided to shutter the Beer Hall two days after the employees informed him of their intent to seek union representation, then it is a poorly run business just on that basis alone, IMO. (i.e. closing a major part of the business operation as a knee-jerk reaction.)

IOW, I seriously doubt the decision to shutter the hall happened that fast. Omar's explanation makes more sense to me than the union organizer's accusations.

Generally when businesses decide to take action like layoffs, etc., the fact that the business is thinking of this is closely held to just a few people, while the rest of the business operations proceed normally.

This, alone, could explain the job postings, etc.

Such things must NOT EVER be allowed to leak until the decision is made and the announcement is ready.

12. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (56) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

Seems odd though they would bother posting on their social media about unions and then two days later just close it up. Why just say on monday to the union reps that they are closing it up instead of letting people think something was gonna change.

JMN44 and ChicagoJ like this.
  13. MNAle

Society

Quoting myself:

14. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Aspirant (262) Oct 27, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

They are required to notify the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development 60 days prior to the layoff.

Seems like the timing corresponds to this as well as just weather factors. I'm sure they are making some revenue from the beer hall being open, but as they said, down 80% is going to make profits unlikely. Maybe they can manage some expenses for the next two months and then reopen in the spring in a better situation. Sucks all around.

15. Chaz

Society Trader

Update to an inquiry made by @BeerDrinkinGuy from last year’s thread in this topic:
    Google notes that it is temporarily closed, but there is new content (photos) on the website, along with a 2020 copyright.

Their five year mission to transform the space is proceeding apace:

https://www.stcroixbeer.com/

St. Croix Brewing, as we’ll recall, is part of the ever expanding Fytenburg family of breweries.

JMN44, Victory_Sabre1973 and grantcty like this.
  16. RAH-RAH-Beer

RAH-RAH-Beer Initiate (29) Jan 1, 2019 Minnesota

Luce Line Brewing in Plymouth has revised their Facebook page and posted OPENING IN FALL 2020.

Chaz and TrailsandAles like this.
  17. JMN44

JMN44 Initiate (164) Sep 19, 2013 Minnesota

Per MplsStPaul Magazine:
    Down in Burnsville, Nutmeg Brewhouse has been sold, and is on its way to becoming Ineffable Brewing Co. Barbara and Richard Stein are the buyers, and Richard worked as a brewer at LTD in Hopkins. His mentor from LTD, Steve Larsen, taking the plunge with them as their head brewer. Look for an October opening.

18. BeerDrinkinGuy

Yeah they have a few pictures of developments on their instagram account.

19. BeerDrinkinGuy

Is this only project now because he had a little too many on his plate before which never came to fruition.

20. HeadRetention

HeadRetention Initiate (67) Jul 13, 2015 Minnesota

21. RAH-RAH-Beer

Chaz, TrailsandAles and HammsMeASAP like this.
  22. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (3,442) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

Foremost in Owatonna has it's brewing equipment in the building.

HammsMeASAP and Chaz like this.
  23. Chaz

Society Trader

Hard to know for sure. He’s always up to something.

The websites for his other breweries all got a lick of digital paint and the © 2020, too (I suppose he had some spare time to gussy-up his sites during COVID-19):

https://www.fytenburgbeer.com/

https://www.stagecoachbeer.com/

BeerDrinkinGuy and grantcty like this.
  24. Beerfordays2

Beerfordays2 Initiate (11) Oct 24, 2019 Minnesota

Sylvan Brewing in Lanesboro is opening at some point this fall. They have been updating their progress on their Facebook Page. This will be the 4th Brewery/Brewpub in Fillmore County, which has a population of just over 21,000 people. The other 3 Breweries/BrewPubs are Karst in Fountain, PawPrint in Chatfield, and Trout City in Preston.

Victory_Sabre1973 and Chaz like this.
  25. Chaz

Society Trader

Since some folks don’t do the book of face:
    https://www.sylvanbeer.com/

HammsMeASAP and grantcty like this.
  26. RAH-RAH-Beer

I was in Hackensack this week at Rendezvous Brewing in my quest to go to all the breweries in MN (4 left). the beertender told me about a brewery starting up in Jenkins, MN which is north of Pequot Lakes. I Googled it and found that Snarky Loon Brewing is in planning for Spring of 2021. This is an additional brewery in the Brainard Lakes area.

27. Xanthophhyll

Xanthophhyll Initiate (14) Sep 25, 2017 Minnesota

Oh man....that trip North to the cabin is getting longer and longer every year. Cheers!

28. HammsMeASAP

We demand a comprehensive list of favorites/likes/dislikes ETC ETC :sunglasses:

Seriously though, that's impressive as hell.

29. RAH-RAH-Beer

30. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,454) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

What did you think of Rendezvous? Nice to have in Hack but below average overall I thought and $12 crowlers?

31. RAH-RAH-Beer

I had a flight and liked "Hopmazing" which is a NEIPA, the best. It's the style I'm liking right now. There was nothing wrong with the others, but they didn't stick out as exceptional.

I didn't check on Crowlers but $12 is too high.

32. HeadRetention

HeadRetention Initiate (67) Jul 13, 2015 Minnesota

I tried three. The neipa was ok, ESB was lacking maltiness and hop bitterness. The cream ale was terrible.

maximum12 and Chaz like this.
  33. RAH-RAH-Beer

Roundhouse Brewing has now opened their tap room in Nisswa. They closed the one in Brainard per their website.

34. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,454) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

I think they wanted to keep the other one open too but these pesky MN liquor laws wouldn't allow it.

35. Windvaner

Windvaner Initiate (50) Nov 7, 2014 Minnesota

Actual new breweries opening in MN news in a global pandemic !

Arbetier Brewing in Minneapolis have 6 new beers in their tanks including an Alt beer and session hazy .

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFaIs03FBJ_/?igshid=phw9emv9c343

No opening date yet but it’s got to be soon.

Ineffable Brewing Company will open in Burnsville in mid-October.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ks...id-19-pandemic-ineffable-brewing-5854873.html

Bricksworth Beer in Burnsville is opening soon - what the hell is going on in Burnsville ?

As this is from the Blackstack family I’d expect good beers out of the gate . They also released a new collaboration beer with Blackstack this week called “Side of Ranch” a beer for pizza !

It says the Bricksworth space has capacity for 400 people so post pandemic this could be a big draw for Burnsville.

https://www.twincities.com/2020/09/29/burnsville-brewery-to-open-with-pizza-beer-to-come-soon/

[​IMG]
    Amanogawa Brewing Co. - Twin Cities 2021

These guys have been brewing amazing beers at St. Paul’s The Lab and have finished their final pilot brew there and are now planning a nano brewery somewhere in the Twin cities.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...9045583938080&ref=page_internal&__tn__=*s*s-R

36. HammsMeASAP

Do you think they'll make any hazy IPAs?

Chaz likes this.
  37. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,858) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

It is now a requirement by the Brewers Associations that a minimum of 22% of beers on a brewery's tap list must by hazy IPAs.

38. doner24

doner24 Initiate (84) Apr 16, 2013 Minnesota

They had a Hazy IPA, hoppy blonde, coconut stout and cans of their Lager collab with Blackstack when I stopped there last week. All were drinking really well, especially for the first batches of them on that equipment.

Chaz likes this.
  39. Chaz

Society Trader

40. RAH-RAH-Beer

Looks like pizza only. I see no reference to their beer. Is this correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.