Brewery X wins auction bid to purchase Modern Times for $20 million

Discussion in 'US - West' started by antsmarching777, Jun 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (165) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

lol imagine being that patriotic. "don't you dare kneel you this is our song". nerd

2. annakarina

annakarina Aspirant (223) Jul 29, 2016 California

Random police officer from Florida totally gonna buy some Modern Times now!

3. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Aspirant (227) Jun 23, 2013 California

I wonder how Modem Tones aged in Policeman’s Boot will taste like.

4. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (748) Mar 28, 2009 California

If brewery X can bring bring back OG blazing world, fortunate islands, booming rollers, city of the sun and other original modern times beers I’ll be a fan boy.

5. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,749) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Whats all the fuss about.? I never heard of Brewery X, but reading some comments i thought they must be Red Hats and the brew pubs covered in Proud Boy shit.
    Went to their website and also looked at some images, seems like a nice modern brewery, the crowd seemed families with kids. Nothing that would attract me but I didn't see anything that would upset me, and i am pretty left for Americans. They seem to want to be part of the "community.
    Community — Brewery X (brewery-x.com)

Like I said not my stuff but whatever.
    However for a city ( Anaheim) which is majority "minority" the crowd in the pics look 90% white

6. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,156) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

How much cache do you think the MT brand name has in so cal these days?

Scotchboy likes this.
  7. GetMeAnIPA

In SoCal I think a good amount. I live in Orange County so I am not sure what the vibe is in SD. I am not really into the beer scene, but My friends who are casual craft beer drinkers think highly of their beers.

personally I don’t drink much MT other than when orderville is on tap. Seems like that beer is in places with very marginal tap lists.

I haven’t even been to leisure town. Which, is kinda funny because when I heard about it I couldn’t wait to try it. But it’s just far enough and I am just not excited enough about their beers to go. Rather go to green cheek or Riip.

sorry this kinda turned into a rant. I was in SD and went to their Encinitas location about a year ago. Beer was fine but the overall vibe wasn’t my thing. If the beer was good enough I could care less about the vibe but my friend and I left underwhelmed.

there was a time when I occasionally went to SD for work and MT was a must stop. Now there are multiple other locations, like north park, I would rather go out of my way for.

#47 GetMeAnIPA, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  8. riko

riko Initiate (121) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

lol "I went looking for red flags but didn't see any. However, I did see one."

AlmostDeadly777 and skelliott like this.
  9. Reidrover

Society

Kinda yes. I noticed in Google images.
    But the place looks very innocuous.

riko likes this.
  10. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

If having a disproportionately white clientele is a "red flag" for breweries, there aren't going to be a lot of clean options for you.

And @Reidrover , brewery x apparently caters to a frat boy and thin blue line crowd and people are worried that they will change Modern Times' company culture of vocally supporting liberal political causes... while having a toxic internal work place culture and scamming their fans and employees out of money with some sketchy financing schemes.

11. Reidrover

Society

I want them to open a place in Portland..that would make the old EPIC meltdown thread when Fat Heads came to Portland look like glowing praise!
    But all the pics showed a very white clientele. Even here in Salem OR..much more hispanic people do craft beer.

12. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Well hopefully there's still a future for the brand. It's wild to think back to how exciting they were just 5 years ago. It's hard for me to accept that those recipes couldn't sustain a brand.

Hopefully the folks at brewery x can keep things going

TrojanRB and pjeagles like this.
  13. PatKorn

PatKorn Aspirant (202) Aug 30, 2007 Hawaii

Total wild guess but I think the MT brand will be discontinued or sold off and they bought the property strictly for the equipment and brewing space. The MT brand may be well known, both good and bad, on this site but to the general public they are just another pretty label with pithy names.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  14. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

20 mil seems like a lot to pay if they were just after the infrastructure. Plus, the modern times branding always seemed absolutely perfect for seltzers and RTD cocktails. So that's gonna be my wild ass guess, in 3 years MT will be mostly pastry seltzer, canned sangria, and mixed drinks.

15. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (589) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Pastry Seltzers:nauseated_face: and fake sangria.

Maybe Paloma Seltzers and even a Mezcal Seltzer Bar since thats all the rage:joy:

I ran into a kid that worked at Angel City Brewry, but at the Truly Selzter addition they have there. All they sell are 9% seltzer mixed drinks and he says the shit is packed all the time.

Seltzer Old Fashioned, Seltzer Manhattan , seltzer on the beach.
    I get it. Its perfect to add 4 hours of drinking to your as opposed to tapping out early

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  16. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,393) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

The best thing Brewery X could do is take the goodwill from the MT name and rebrand all of Brewery X's beers and locations to Modern Times. They have a history and an identifiable labeling. I for one have never heard of Brewery X prior to this sale whereas ever self respecting beer geek has at one point or another chased something from Modern Times. Modern Times has a good reputation for IPAs and stouts, the credibility and marketing Brewery X could use outside of their local market. I have had great experiences at Modern Time and the brand nostalgia alone would encourage me to purchase more whereas the only time I suspect I would engage with Brewery X is on a math problem like "Brewery X has three times the production capacity as brewery y. If brewery y has three 100 barrel fermenters and two 10 barrel fermenters, what does X equal?"

TrojanRB and darktronica like this.
  17. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

According to the thread on this topic in the West forum, Brewery X is constantly packed and their beers are widely available in the area. I highly doubt they have any intention of abandoning that brand.

Interestingly, the folks in the West forum also report that the Brewery X crowd is more conservative ("frat bro" and "thin blue line" were descriptors employed) so maybe they are just engaging that classic capitalist maneuver and playing both sides. X for the Maga crowd and MT for the gender fluid vegan crowd.

TrojanRB and readyski like this.
  18. skelliott

skelliott Initiate (78) Jul 2, 2013 California

Imagine bragging about how much money you're going to spend at a brewery that doesn't even distribute to your state just because you think it makes random people on the internet mad.

19. GetMeAnIPA

I don’t think they cater to frat boys. I think they draw a more drinking crowd vs beer enthusiast because they opened a huge nice facility. For the average craft beer drinker it’s easy to see the location, and want to go. I am sure they also have corn hole and other games for people to play and drink. As opposed to the small breweries that don’t even want tvs.

#59 GetMeAnIPA, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  20. annakarina

annakarina Aspirant (223) Jul 29, 2016 California

So far this appears to be incorrect.

21. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

That's a good point, sometimes I forget to run opinions here through the beer nerd translator.

22. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,259) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Note: thread has been cleaned up. Modern Times is obviously going to draw some strong opinions, but keep it on topic - and keep it from being personal.

If you can't do that, perhaps your argument isn't as well thought out as you thought, and is best shared on a different social media site. We're here to celebrate beer, after all! :grinning:

23. AWA

AWA Defender (632) Jul 22, 2014 California
    Society

Wait. How much debt was assumed?

24. AWA

Society

It's not that you can't trust big corp. It's just that you need you're money behind them. Not in front of them.

25. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (134) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

I think his point is (and @dcgunman please shoot me down if I'm putting words in your mouth) companies are run by capitalists only interested in ANY cause insofar as they view it beneficial to their bottom line. Blue lives matter flags, Medicare for all beers, black boxes on Instagram, whatever. It's all for their own interests, one way or the other.
    Granted individuals and "on the ground" culture may be very different. I've only been to MT, and one time only at that.

Ponzu4u likes this.
  26. AWA

Society

I get it. But my point is that most people are ok with that, as long as they personally benefit. Ultimately, wealth isn't created, it's just moved around. And the trick to happiness is making sure some of it moves your way.

Ponzu4u and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  27. PatKorn

PatKorn Aspirant (202) Aug 30, 2007 Hawaii

Wait, there is a brewery in Anaheim with lifted trucks with dangling balls in the parking lot, dudes wearing flat brim hats, and frat boys in blue lives matter shirts? Shocking...

28. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Crusader (709) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

I've been to Brewery X and handful of times before the pandemic and always had a good time. It's a great for families if you can find parking (we couldn't, a couple times). Lots and lots of taps, tons of food trucks (not just 1 or 2, so you can find something for anyone), stuff for the kiddos to do, live music, tons of indoor space, massive outdoor patio.

Never noticed any Thin Blue Line or MAGA stuff in any visits, but haven't been since before the pandemic. Just sayin'.

I like IPAs, especially west coast style, and I think their beers in those styles are mostly good and some even great. I don't touch seltzers, though, of which they have plenty.

I agree with the sentiment above that this place isn't catering to beer nerds but rather families and groups who like to gather around beer. They must be doing something right because the place was always packed.

TrojanRB, backwash, ChicagoJ and 5 others like this.
  29. derftron

derftron Devotee (450) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Ballast Point was sold for somewhere around $1B, and MT is being auctioned off for $20M. The beer industry is WILD

30. wilymobastardo

wilymobastardo Zealot (506) Jan 12, 2015 California
    Society Trader

And now I read that the parent company of Beer Advocate and UnTappd submitted a higher bid that was rejected, and which they are appealing.

31. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,199) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Maybe they wanted to sell to a brewery and not a company with zero background in making beer.

32. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (574) Mar 26, 2013 California

Maybe you can buy some Brewery X beer and mail it to the police officers in Uvalde. Those guys are champs

33. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,812) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I feel like there are like 50 references that are flying over my head right now.

donspublic, DefenCorps and Bitterbill like this.
  34. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 Aspirant (270) Jul 25, 2010 California
    Trader

I have been by that area, but never made it in. I was curious to check out the beers.

https://www.brewery-x.com/menu

Apparently "SLAP N TICKLE" is the brands Flagship Beer with Merch and everything.

I guess they thought up DUCK BEER and Quack IPA, before Noble could steal the idea?

Surprised Barstool Sports hasn't came after them for "Saturdays are for the Boys" Light Lager...

Of course...Freedom Beer.

Maybe this is some Reality TV show they are going to film. One brewery where Sports Bros and Dungeons and Dragons dudes/Wizards get together.

35. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (333) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

It's MTD Asset Acquisition. The owner of that company also owns Next Glass which is the parent company of Untappd and BA. MTD is the TRU Colors Brewery bid. The MTD owner's father is the CEO of TRU Colors. This article explains it well.

Highest Bidder — After Auction, Brewery X Set to Acquire Modern Times (For Now) — Good Beer Hunting

36. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,849) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Add Aurora and I'm totally in. With no Fortunate Islands, Summerfest, and Pivo I'm really displeased with my summer staple selections. At least Deschutes is still putting out Twilight, though would prefer it be in rotation rather than my sole go-to.

Selfishly I'm happy about the FatHeads PDX experiment. Meant I got to consume IBUsive several times, which makes me smile. And didn't IBUsive actually win an IPA competition or two up there? That would seem like some level of praise, or at least acknowledgement of quality. My unsolicited $0.02

37. dcgunman

dcgunman Meyvn (1,355) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I feel like there’s a lot of animosity here on BrewX & MT? Forgive me if I’m wrong. I’m not defending or jumping on the hate bandwagon for either of these 2 breweries. For those in OC/LA area that’s never been to BrewX maybe a visit to check them out is in order? Or not. I like to check out a new place that just opened up to get a feel for them and the brews. I can’t check every new brewery that opens but will make an attempt to visit some in the OC/LA area. heard about Trevor being the head brewer at this BrewX. So I went down to visit and see what he had to offer. My first thought on seeing BrewX was wow this place is huge. There had to have been some big investors taking a chance with BrewX. So I’m sure there was a reason to this madness. I’m sure the MT failure wasn’t in the plans when they first opened. The brewery/tasting room is nice for sure. Like @SoCalBeerIdiot said this place is set up for family and friends to gather. So if that’s not your thing then maybe BrewX is not for you. I went 3 times before the pandemic. Haven’t been back and I have no interest to go back. I see their products sitting on the shelves everywhere. I’d say their seltzer can disappear faster than the beers. More power to Trevor and BrewX on whatever the plans are with acquiring MT. I won’t buy MT or BrewX stuff. I got too many great IPA’s around me. I’m already in hop heaven in HB. So for those who visit Bottle Logic or Windsor do yourself a favor and stop in BrewX and let us know what you think then. Cheers y’all and happy Monday.

38. dcgunman

dcgunman Meyvn (1,355) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Society Trader

You should stop in and try their beers. It ain’t bad. But there’s so much more out there that’s better. The outdoor sitting area is really nice. That’s all.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  39. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,274) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

I hear the former Commons space is available…

40. J-loco

J-loco Aspirant (210) Jan 23, 2015 California
    Trader

I wonder if Black Cock Brewing placed a bid...

juablu and LocestLXCX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.