Brewing a 1 gallon (All Grain) batch

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by DerrickW, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerrickW

DerrickW Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 Georgia

Greetings BAs,

I've been brewing exclusively extract batches and was thinking about trying an all grain batch soon. I was thinking I should be able to steep a pound or two of grains in a muslin bag for 60 min and then bring it to boil. My question is, have any of you brewed a 1 gallon all grain batch this way and if so, how did it turn out?

2. kalvarez

kalvarez Initiate (44) Jul 22, 2010 Wisconsin

You're essentially describing the BIAB (Brew in a Bag) method. It's a relatively easy way to all grain brew. I one gallon BIAB quite often and am happy with the results.

3. od_sf

od_sf Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2010 California

I brew BIAB exclusively and love it.

BILF likes this.
  4. jae

jae Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2010 Washington

I do 2-2.5 gallon BIAB batches and some smaller batches (1-2 gallons) as experimental batches. I like the small batches. I can mash/boil on the stove and do a batch after work while fixing dinner for the fam/getting the kids in bed.

I use 5 gallon paint strainer bags, which are cheap.

BILF and JuliusPepperwood like this.
  5. Chrispy

Chrispy Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2012 Washington

How long do these small batches take you? Still a 60 min mash and boil and then cooling in an ice bath?

6. Mag00n

Mag00n Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 New York

Yes its still all the same procedure which is why most people go bigger, but I personally love the 2-3 gallon batch range.

7. Chrispy

Why not make a 5 gallon batch and siphon off 1-2 gallons to smaller carboys for experimentation? I have done this many times experimenting with open fermentation/bottle dregs/fruit.

8. od_sf

A lot of people (me included) cannot brew outside, we have to do it indoors in a kitchen. Good luck doing 5 gallon all grain full boil on a kitchen stove.

kalvarez likes this.
  9. DerrickW

DerrickW Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 Georgia

Have you noticed any issues with a partial boil? I plan on doing a 5 gallon partial boil soon and wanted to know what's the difference between a partial boil and full boil in terms of the finished product.

10. od_sf

I did a couple of 5 gallon partial boils before switching to 2.5 gallon BIAB full boils. The beers tasted just fine, but I had a hard time hitting the planned original gravity with both beers. I ended up roughly 10 gravity points lower than intended. I'm sure I would have eventually adjusted had I kept doing them, though.

11. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

Been doing BIAB 1 gallon batches myself, don't have the hardware for bigger batches right now, it's really easy and doing all grain I feel more like a brewer. I've been mashing in my oven for 75 min with the oven set as low as it will go and it holds the mash temp nicely.

12. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New York

I've been doing it for years, and I'm definitely not the only one.

Witherby, Mohican88 and kennyg like this.
  13. Chrispy

Until I got a burner a few months ago, I brewed my first 14ish batches on stove top. All 5 gallons, 1 six gallon. The only difference I noticed is how long it takes to boil/heat the water.

kennyg likes this.
  14. od_sf

Y'all have some mighty good kitchen stoves then. I can barely get 4 gallons of wort to a (not so vigorous) boil on mine.

15. CrackTheSkye

CrackTheSkye Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2011 Maryland

For single headin bathes, what do you do for pitching yeast? I love the smack packs for full 5 gallon batches but I'd imagine that would be a little overkill for a 1gal batch.

16. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (378) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

I still use the wyeast smack packs for 1 gal batches, I just don't dump the whole pack in.

17. sixa66

sixa66 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Florida

Any idea on how much initial water to use for a one gallon BIAB? With 2 lbs of grains I would figure maybe 2 gallons? With grain absorption and boil off I would think I would be right around the one gallon mark. I thought there was a calculator somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

18. CrackTheSkye

CrackTheSkye Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2011 Maryland

I think I would feel bad wasting all that yeast. I guess it's boy the end of the world, but should I set some wort aside and make a "starter" for another beer? Would there be something else productive to do with it?

19. tedvr

tedvr Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Ohio

There are quite a few one gallon recipes out there. I also have had good luck converting a five gallon recipe to grams and dividing by five.

20. kalvarez

Here's what I use:

1 Gallon (Desired Batch Size) + Grain Absorption (Total Grain * 0.10) + Boil Off Rate (Varies) + Trub Loss (Roughly Total Hops * 0.15)

So for a 1.065 IPA (2.8 LBS of Grain and 1 total oz of hops)
    1 Gallon + 0.30 Gallons Grain Absorption + 0.5 Gallon Boil Off + 0.15 Trub Loss = 1.95 Gallons

Junkforadam, JxExM and sixa66 like this.
  21. sixa66

sixa66 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Florida

Thanks, I just did a batch today and got lucky. I used 2 gallons and it worked out alright but I like your formula and I will save it. Thanks again.

22. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,036) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

0.15 Gallons per ounce of hops is really a lot, even for leaf hops. I suspect your Trub loss parameter is compensating for some missing parameter and/or perhaps for understatement of another parameter. But if it's dialed and works out for the types of batches you typically brew, that's the important thing.

23. kalvarez

Yeah you're probably right. It's kind've been my average over 50+ batches. Not sure how it came about really but it's developed in a spreadsheet formula and become more consistent over time. For the record, in the example given I start the boil with 1.65 gallons, end with 1.15 and roughly 1 gallon of that sans trub goes into the fermentor.

24. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,816) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Not to derail the thread, but the basic question seems to be adequately answered, so a follow-up question...

Fermenters for 1 gallon batches - a one gallon glass jug seems to be cutting it way too close, so what do people use? I'm interested in the small batch approach as a means to experiment and work on technique.

25. tedvr

tedvr Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Ohio

The glass jugs I use for my one gallon brewing have a line on them which states one gallon and if you fill to that line there is plenty of room left in the jug. I do use a blow off tube until the bubbling stops, then switch to the three part bubbler.

LeRose likes this.
  26. kalvarez

Yep, they hold proly 1.25 gallons. Blowoff tube and fermcap will be your friends.

LeRose likes this.
  27. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Initiate (182) Sep 21, 2012 Texas

Five liter wine jugs work fine if you don't have too crazy of a krausen and you only fill up to a gallon.

LeRose likes this.
  28. Karl_M

Karl_M Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2013 Illinois

I use the Mr Beer fermenters and they work great for 1 - 2.5 gal batches. They are inexpensive and easy to work with.

LeRose likes this.
  29. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

I do one gallon and ya I have to make sure not to fill the jug up to high. I did an FBS clone recently and filled it a tad too high and the airlock blew off twice. Hardest mess ever to clean up, I had to use a utility knife to scrap chocolate wort off the white walls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.