Brewing Activities (2019)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (89) May 18, 2017 England

Had a friend over to try out our contribution to the homebrew club's "pair brewing" theme - a sour cherry brut IPA (me) and a chocolate dry stout (him) brewed to be mixed (or ideally layered) as a Black Forest Black Velvet.

The blend tastes good, but the higher than expected gravity of the brut IPA (possibly due to extra carbs from the cherries) made layering a bit touch-and-go. We got pretty good separation by slowly dropping the stout in under the IPA in a shot glass using a wine thief, but that's not going to scale to jug-size very easily. Currently our best idea is to try using an aeropress as a giant pipette - stout in the upside-down aeropress, press the jug on top, invert, pour IPA over the top, gradually lift and plunge the aeropress to release stout and fill out underneath the IPA...

2. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Devotee (454) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon
    Society

Sounds good! Just don't expect it to be super funky with kveik only.

Granitebeard likes this.
  3. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (130) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

It is about as funky as I can go...

4. wasatchback

wasatchback Devotee (414) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

3rd rendition of an all NZ hopped IPA. Riwaka, Moutere, Nelson, Kohatu.

5. deadwolfbones

Society

In the process of kegging the Oslo toasted rice pseudo-lager. Tastes very good, super clean.

6. ddow229

ddow229 Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2019 Missouri

First brewing in like ten years. I did a Hefe Weizen batch. Pretty happy.
    5# Wheat DME
    Belgian Aromatic 2oz
    Flared oats 4oz
    Flaked wheat 4oz
    Malted wheat 4oz

3AAU Bittering
    .25 Oz Sorachi Ace for aroma at 2 minutes left of boil
    2tbs Coriander at 5 minutes left

Came out at 1.040 SG.
    Pitched at 70*.

Pretty straight forward batch just to get into the swing of things. I am thinking another Weiss, maybe a Berliner, then look at a Doppel Bock. I love Doppel Bocks. I want to do a full grain on that so I might hold off until spring. My boy wants to do a mead. That will get done soon.
    I forgot how enjoyable creating these beers is. I love the figuring out of how things are going to work.

SABERG, Scope4Beer, Eggman20 and 7 others like this.
  7. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (537) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Been longer than I anticipated since my last brew, but I still love this hobby even when I'm not at the burner. Always some new technique, ingredient, literature or gadget to learn about and tinker with.

Glad your return to brewing went well.

8. JohnConnorforealthistime

JohnConnorforealthistime Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2016 Wisconsin

Kegged my amber last night. Went a little more aggressive ABV wise compared to where I wanted it (7.1% actual vs 5.5% target). Still figuring out my boil off rate with the new burner and kettle. Lots of chocolate/caramel notes. Some citrus flavors from the hops. Even some delicate fruit esters from 1318. Can't wait for this to carb and have some rest time. This should be nice for Thanksgiving!.

9. deadwolfbones

Society

For my club's Learn to Homebrew Day event today I brewed a smoked British imperial stout and co-pitched Imperial Darkness and White Labs Brett C. Gonna let it ride for a few months and see how it's doing.

Tomorrow I'm probably going to brew a hazy mid-strength IPA with Ebbegarden kveik and leaf Citra/pellet Cashmere at FO and dry hop only (so a short boil).

10. skleice

skleice Disciple (301) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Brewing a gluten free NEIPA today. I've been brewing this style a hell of a lot and they are getting better and better. Today's brew will pump up the protein with 10% quinoa. I've also been dialing back my enzymes to finish ~1.020 for more body.

Bravo whirlpool (trying cheaper hops hot side)
    Citra & Amarillo DH
    M36 yeast

11. wasatchback

Trader

Trying to get two done today....

IPA
    Rahr 2 row/Chit/Carahell/Acid
    Warrior at 60
    Amarillo @ 30
    HBC586 @ 5
    Cashmere Leaf in Hopback
    HBC586/Cashmere DH
    VT Ale yeast

Robust Porter... cold steeped some Belgian Black and British Roasted Barley last night. The Belgian black tastes great, the roast barley not so much. Probably gonna throw the liquid from the Belgian black in the kettle before KO. Rest will be Maris/ Flaked Barley/Caramalt/Chocolate/Dark Chocolate/DRC.

12. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,966) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Just doughed in Penny Rye, an ordinary bitter with 58% muntons mild malt, 29% Briess rye, 7% muntons amber malt, 6% muntons c60. Will use homemade dark invert syrup late boil to get about 15% of the gravity points

SABERG, MrOH, Supergenious and 4 others like this.
  13. videofrog

videofrog Zealot (559) Nov 13, 2010 Texas
    Trader

Brewed a Dunkelweizen today. Hit my target OG of 1.051. The LHBS talked me into a local yeast called "The Window" by Community Cultures. $10.99 for 2B cells, how could I say no? Hopefully it'll be ready for Thanksgiving for the larger than expected crowd coming to our house.

14. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (540) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

and another spruce ale hits the fermenter.
    brewing irish stout and whole hop #9 some time this week

A2HB, pweis909, skleice and 2 others like this.
  15. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,032) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Hopefully that's 200B cells. If so, that sounds like a great price, especially for an LHBS.

videofrog and riptorn like this.
  16. videofrog

videofrog Zealot (559) Nov 13, 2010 Texas
    Trader

Yes, it is. I was tired after a long brew day and didn't notice the typo.

17. Naugled

Naugled Savant (954) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Society

Banged out 8 gal of an El Dorado hopped IPA yesterday. I missed my OG by a bit. But as usual (for me) my mill gap slipped a bit so the crush wasn't as fine as it should have been. I have to start checking the gap before every brew.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  18. deadwolfbones

Society

Ebbegarden Citra/Cashmere hazy is bubbling away, but my fermwrap died so I wrapped it up in my girlfriend's heated blanket on the low setting. Hope that works out alright. :|

19. wasatchback

Trader

Doing my first real traditional lager fermentation. Using liquid form of 34/70 fermenting at 48, at 1.020 I started stepping it down 1* in the AM and 1* in the PM. Sitting at 42 now and gravity has dropped from 1.020 to 1.011 while the temp was slowly lowered. Gonna keep going to 39 then transfer to a keg and krausen with 10% fermenting Helles. Finally found a great article on this krausening process. Stoked to try it out.

A2HB, Elvis_on_Bass, riptorn and 2 others like this.
  20. deadwolfbones

Society

21. wasatchback

Trader

I’ve never done one and have never had diacetyl. Pitch enough healthy yeast and provide the with enough O2 and you never need to ramp the temp. If treated well lager yeast can clean up after themselves all the way down to 32.

Supergenious and deadwolfbones like this.
  22. deadwolfbones

Society

Thought you said you'd never done a true lager before, though?

23. wasatchback

Trader

A true lager fermentation in the sense that it’s stepped DOWN at a specific attenuation, not stepped up and then krausened when transferring into lagering vessel (a keg in this case). I usually just let it ferment out at 48-52 depending on the strain.

deadwolfbones likes this.
  24. deadwolfbones

Society

Word, gotcha.

25. VikeMan

Society

Finally got around to motorizing my ancient Schmidling Maltmill. I built it with little rubber feet on the bottom to hold it steady on the buckets when in use. I wanted it to be portable, but man, the whole thing together is kind of heavy. If it turns out I don't like that, I left room on the perimeter to build a frame/legs. The yellow gasket (cut from flexible kitchen cutting boards, actually three layers) under the mill raises it just enough to align the mill's shaft with the motor's.
    [​IMG]

26. skleice

skleice Disciple (301) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Brewing up another gluten free Saison tomorrow that will eventually sit on a blend of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. M29 yeast. These fruited Saisons have been very successful!

27. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2013 Texas

@videofrog Please let us know how that yeast is!

Sampled a recently bottled prickly pear sour. I picked, peeled, and smashed before freezing about 10 pounds of the tunas. Added after primary to an all pale 2-row with Belle Saison with L. plantarum. It's better than I ever expected, a "red" flavor similar to Swedish fish. I expected it to be light on flavor, the fruit by itself is pretty bland. But this is packed with flavor! Will brew this again for sure.

28. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,966) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I'll keg this today. FG 1.012.Slightly lighter amber color than the copper I was going for, which can be attributed to the uncertain SRM of the homemade invert syrup. Hydrometer sample shows slickness from the rye. There are herbal, earthy, and stonefruit notes, which I think are the pekko/cascade hop combo, the sizable % of rye malt, and London ESB yeast, respectively. There is also a somewhat distracting astringency I attribute to the braun hefe particulates at the top of the fermenter where I drew the sample from. The beer will need time in the keg to brighten up and allow some of that to settle out, but once it does, I think I'll call this a success.

29. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,437) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

It’s been cold, and time has been limited so I brewed up another stovetop extract recipe - an imperial stout, that’s been fermenting up a storm with S04 these past few days. Plan to age on bourbon oak cubes for a few months before kegging. After years of all-grain brewing, these extract kits have been a breeze, and are turning out fantastic.

Next up in the pipeline will be a no-boil berliner weisse dry hopped with 4-5 oz Azacca.

Early December I’ll be brewing 11 gal of 1.05ish saison wort, hopped with Denali to around 30 IBU, and split between hornindal and simonaitis strains. Really gonna try and stress the hell out of these yeasts and only pitch around 2 tsp per batch. Recent Kveiks I’ve brewed have been great, but I’ve always pitched sufficient starters. Not this time!

riptorn, 209Hill and GormBrewhouse like this.
  30. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

First go at a milk stout for me tonight!

riptorn, Eggman20, SABERG and 3 others like this.
  31. wasatchback

Trader

Batch 5 of a Hoppy Pils yesterday. Had been going down the road of more Noble oriented hops but recently had some Timbo from Highland Park and was floored by it. The best Citra + Mosiac beer I’ve ever had and it was a pils. Supposedly it’s all Noble hops hotside and Citra+Mosaic DH. I generally despise that combo but Timbo was amazing. I understand why it won GABF gold.

Ereclea Pils/Carafoam/Acid
    Magnum/Saphir hotside
    Cashmere/Loral DH maybe
    Super high efficiency 1.052 OG
    TYB Hessian Pils
    Ended up doing a single Decoction on it too
    Fermenting away nicely at 45

Hazy/Bitter IPA of sorts today. Modeled after the more modern WC IPAs with a little more haze and a little less bitterness.

Rahr 2 Row/Carahell/Carafoam/Acid
    Dextrose
    Amarillo + Warrior @ 20
    HBC692 @ 5
    Amarillo/Columbus in Hopback
    DH mostly 692 + Amarillo cryo maybe
    Bell’s Yeast
    Hopefully 1.066 and 7.2%

32. deadwolfbones

Society

Timbo is maybe my favorite beer and the main reason why I love HPB so much.

riptorn likes this.
  33. deadwolfbones

Society

riptorn likes this.
  34. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (169) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Cleaning out the grain box so i threw a quick recipe together. Not even sure what to call it.

[​IMG]

35. wasatchback

Trader

Interesting. The beer I had on tap at the China Town location didn’t taste like it had a huge whirlpool addition. It actually had very little hop flavor but the aroma was mind blowing. Never had that combo not stink. It was crazy floral/fruit. The cans I grabbed while good more closely resemble the beer in the recipe with considerably more hop flavor, which honestly I don’t really want. Could be just my palate or some other influence but I swear they were different.

I guess I took a little influence from the recent Schell’s CB&B podcast where the brewer talked about their latest Pilsner recipe. Large mid boil charge of Noble then whirlpool and actually a day 1 DH addition..

jgnovak, skleice and deadwolfbones like this.
  36. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (540) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Bottleing spruce ale and Burton light.

SABERG, riptorn, A2HB and 1 other person like this.
  37. deadwolfbones

Society

Yeah, they've been doing a ton of pilsners lately. Pleasant Pils is also very good and sounds more like what you're describing.

And yeah, the aroma on Timbo is the craziest part. Pretty mindblowing.

38. Naugled

Naugled Savant (954) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Society

Late post: Brewed a West Coast Red Imperial IPA this past weekend. Here are the steaming remains of the process.
    [​IMG]

skleice and VikeMan like this.
  39. VikeMan

Society

Hmmm. No pic here.

40. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (537) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Image doesn't display for me, either.
    You said "streaming". Does that require using the media insert tool?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.