Brewing Activities (2020)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by wasatchback, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wasatchback

wasatchback Devotee (414) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

Interested to hear how the beer turns out with that enzyme.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  2. skleice

skleice Disciple (301) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Me too! I have to say that so far I'm a huge fan. My efficiency went through the roof (over 100% based on my typical extraction). I ended up leaving wort in the kettle and diluting what went into the fermenter. The brew day was also shorter and simpler than my normal process. We'll see how it ferments out...

For anybody that's curious about Ondea Pro enzyme

https://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.com/BLOG/130/Introduction-To-Ondea-Pro-Liquid-Enzyme-Complex.php

riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  3. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Aspirant (220) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

Read the article. Very informative. If I was going to mash this recipe in system like the grainfather and want a finale volume of 3.5 gallons for fermentation, would you know what my water volume for the mash/sparse would be? Would the whole 4gallons be ok with the grain bill? Thinking about try this recipe out. I guess I could put it in the Brewfather app.

riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  4. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Devotee (454) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon
    Society

I use the Robobrew, which is similar to the Grainfather, but I took out the malt pipe and use a BIAB bag instead.

I think you could easily do a full volume mash in the Grainfather, though. That's what I did and it fit just fine. If you're uncertain, then yeah I'd check out the Grainfather app or the Priceless BIAB water calculator (I use it for every batch I make).

Unfortunately, I can't tell you what your water volumes should be, because everyone's system has a different boil-off rate. You need to boil some water in yours and figure out what it is for your specific system. You also need to figure out your grain absorption rate. Mine is super low because I squeeze the hell out of my bag, but yours is probably higher if you just sparge.

5. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,032) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

^This
    @Jasonja1474 if you want to reliably hit your intended batch volumes and gravities, you'll need to dial in some basic system parameters, regardless of what software you use.

6. KCUnited

KCUnited Aspirant (212) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Got a starter going for a saison. Using Omega Saisonstein's Monster for the first time.

7. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (399) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Brewing a sMasH beer in the next day or two for a club competition. Going to do a hoppy Pilsner:
    Weyermann pils
    1/2 lb Idaho 7
    W34/70

Trying a new dry hop technique too. One that was mentioned by @wasatchback a while back. Where hops are added to empty keg and purged by fermentation, then rack said beer to keg upon completion of fermentation.

Applecrew135, SABERG, riptorn and 5 others like this.
  8. deadwolfbones

Society

I like the dry hop idea!

9. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

Brewed a Rye IPA for my first brew of the year, with lots of Columbus and Simcoe. Hoping to get back into the swing of brewing more frequently! Cheers

10. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (540) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

DH double jack brew

riptorn, Buck89 and skleice like this.
  11. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,221) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Kegged the New Years Imperial Stout and added vanilla tincture and bourbon soaked in oak cubes. Then just finished brewing an IPA for a Super Bowl party. Used Kveik for a quick turnaround.

12. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (2,047) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Finally bottled Smoked Foreign Stout that's been sitting on bourbon soaked oak spiral for a year+. Flavor is insane- all the flavors you expect from boubon, plus smoke and roast. I'm figuring my whisky drinker friends will really like it, but it seems like a here or there winter dram for me.

13. GormBrewhouse

Smoked foreign Stout. That sounds awsum. That's my next brew after I get off da pager.

deadwolfbones and riptorn like this.
  14. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (537) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

15. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,032) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

My new LODO technique, the Persistent Starsan Bubble.
    [​IMG]

16. GormBrewhouse

Thanks ripper, not smokin my own for this batch but do have a few lbs of smoked malt.

riptorn likes this.
  17. MightyTrustKrusher

MightyTrustKrusher Initiate (86) Nov 5, 2014 New Jersey

I enjoyed this yeast when I used it in the late summer. The beer came out tasting a bit like very well-attenuated witbier.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and OddNotion like this.
  18. Naugled

Naugled Savant (954) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Society

Update: I tapped the two different kegs yesterday. They seem to be conditioned and ready, 10 days brewing to drinking. They came out really nice, both have the orangeness that people describe. The one I fermented at 86F (30C) has a slight clove phenol, more apparent in the nose than the taste. The one I let free fall from 86F to RT is definitely cleaner, no noticeable phenols to me, and still has the orangeness. I plan to get a few friends over to see how they do in a triangle test. I am really impressed, it has lived up to some of the hype so far.

This has led be to plan to explore a few more varieties.

GormBrewhouse, MrOH, riptorn and 4 others like this.
  19. Jasonja1474

Trader

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Bottle a Northern England Brown Ale today.
    Used WL London Ale yeast and added 2Ibs of honey at flame out. Thanks to @VikeMan for his help during fermentation. Can’t wait for it to carbonate and post one what are drinking now.

20. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (84) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Bottled my Simcoe/Sabro Black IPA last night. Gave it a double dose of dry hops and it was tasting and smelling great. Now all of my non-barrel fermentors are empty so it's time to start brewing again. Next up is the AP Dubbel up on Saturday.

21. skleice

skleice Disciple (301) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Great idea to use sabro in a black ipa. Sounds delicious!

22. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (84) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

It's been on my "To Brew" list for awhile now. Only used Sabro in a couple of regular IPAs/stouts before. My previous attempt at a Black IPA was Centennial and El Dorado and that was a tasty brew so seriously excited to drink this one. Hopefully carbonates quickly!

skleice likes this.
  23. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (537) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Those bottles remind me of dominoes.
    Have you checked out a fastrack or bottle tree?

24. Supergenious

I was thinking the same thing. One false move, and you have a disaster on your hands.

Jasonja1474 and riptorn like this.
  25. Jasonja1474

Trader

Lol no but not 2 minutes after that pic I knocked every one of them over

Rfro5, deadwolfbones, riptorn and 2 others like this.
  26. Jasonja1474

Trader

I did

deadwolfbones and VikeMan like this.
  27. KCUnited

KCUnited Aspirant (212) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Brewed on Monday and down 1.054 to 1.014 in 72 hours held at 71F. Bumped up to 78F today. Definitely performs like French saison with the big ester levels of a Belgian.

Hersbrucker 60min
    Styrian Goldings 20min
    Motueka 20min whirlpool

SABERG, Eggman20, VikeMan and 3 others like this.
  28. wasatchback

wasatchback Devotee (414) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

Trying to get 3 brews in today... probably not gonna happen but we’ll see.

Batch 1 started at 6 this AM
    Strata Pale Ale
    GW Idaho Select Pils
    8% Vienna
    Magnum bittering
    Strata @ 20, 0 and Leaf in Hopback
    Vermont Ale
    DH Strata pellets

Batch 2
    Helles
    Barke Pils/Vienna
    Spalter Select/Hersbrucker
    Augustiner
    Trying this yeast again. Have never had good luck with it in the past. We’ll see.

Batch 3
    Spontaneous Ferment attempt 3
    Pils/Spelt/Oats
    Gonna leave it out overnight and pitch yeast tomorrow AM. Set aside a gallon to see if it ferments on its own. Last one I acidified to 4.5 and it didn’t grow mold but it took forever to show signs of fermentation but it is/did ferment.

Rfro5, riptorn, Naugled and 4 others like this.
  29. eaglepar3

eaglepar3 Disciple (387) Jun 5, 2009 Oregon
    Society

Just finished judging it. Good luck!

deadwolfbones likes this.
  30. deadwolfbones

Society

Thanks, dude! My BBA coconut stout appears to have been entered in the wrong category (based on judge feedback from Stout Bout), but maybe the others have a shot. :stuck_out_tongue:

eaglepar3 likes this.
  31. GormBrewhouse

Rocking another Irish stout, followed by a hippy pale. Double batch day

riptorn and skleice like this.
  32. Supergenious

In the mood for a Dubbel. So I plan on brewing the AP Dubbel. A couple modifications due to what was in stock at LHBS. Using WY1214 (Chimay) and German Pils.

33. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (89) May 18, 2017 England

Got the day off work, so I'm brewing something for the homebrew club's "European" themed session in a couple of months. Going for an Irish Red, with English, German and Belgian malts (Maris Otter, Caramunich, Special B and roast wheat), English yeast (West Yorkshire) and Slovenian hops (Styrian Wolf for bittering).

The brew day's going alright so far, although it's looking like the end result is going to be at the brown end of red...

34. deadwolfbones

Society

Kegged my Vienna lager (used Brulosophy's recipe, eg. 98% Vanora, 2% Pale Chocolate, Hallertau Mittelfrueh, and W-34/70). Tastes great.

Will be kegging an Oslo "lager" tonight that was made using 95% Pelton, 5% Briess Bonlander Munich, and all Wakatu hops (60/15/FO/DH).

I have a chocolate rye lager (40% Bonlander Munich, 40% Pelton, 11.5% Rimrock, 5.5% Weyermann Chocolate Rye, 3% Fawcett Crystal Rye, with Magnum and Loral) going on the cake from the Vienna lager. I'll be secondarying it on toasted cacao nibs and vanilla beans.

Need to take a break from brewing until late Feb to get through some of the stuff I've already brewed. I'm doing a club "group brew" at my place on Feb 23, where I'll be brewing 10 gals of... something, paid for by the club, and half of which I get to keep and half of which is donated to the club.

35. deadwolfbones

Society

Also, just got word that at least one of my entries into the KLCC Brewfest medaled, which is cool since that's literally the first competition I've ever entered! :sunglasses:

36. eaglepar3

eaglepar3 Disciple (387) Jun 5, 2009 Oregon
    Society

Awesome, send me a PM if you make it out to the awards/fest.

deadwolfbones likes this.
  37. deadwolfbones

Society

Sadly I won't be able to make it since I'm stewarding the Best of Craft Beer Awards in Bend that weekend, but thanks!

38. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Just finished boiling my first kettle sour after souring for 36 hours with good belly.

39. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (611) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Kicked 2 kegs on Friday on the first pour so put my ECY40 Saison on tap then kegged and tapped an Amarillo Pale Wheat ale inspired by FFF Gumballhead. First beer I made with a bunch of new equipment/toys, most notably the first beer I carbonated through spunding. Still too young to fully judge the flavor but my first impressions are very positive.

40. Jasonja1474

Trader

Decided to make another batch of the brown ale I just made. This time I’m using WL007 instead of the WL0013 “I think it is” I used last time. I just purchased a new keg system and yeast starter stirrer system. Brew day is on Friday. Super excited to brew again!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.