Brewing Activities (2021)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by wasatchback, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Devotee (454) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon
    Society

Awesome, thanks for the info and the offer!

2. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Initiate (52) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

Actually did this today, things went well. This is the first time I adjusted my water profile... turns out my water is similar to Pilsen... very soft and very low in Ca. Treated with phosphoric acid, CaCl and gypsum. And it looks like I picked up a couple of points in efficiency with the treatment.
    Hit my OG target and it's in the fermenter. Now only time will tell...

In the end... it will be beer!

3. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Initiate (52) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]
    Yikes! I'm glad I didn't fill my fermenter! 3.5 gal in a 5.5 gal fermenter, and it's close to blowing out of the top. WLP530 is by far the most vigorous fermentation I have seen to date.

[​IMG]

4. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Aspirant (207) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

Ya I’ve been keeping an eye out for ECY Kolsch yeast. Hope they drop some soon.

OddNotion and riptorn like this.
  5. skleice

skleice Aspirant (299) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

I think it's the best beer I brew. I brewed a batch last year and loved it. This year's batch is on point as well. It has a huge malt aroma that jumps out of the glass. Big, rich caramel with dark fruits supporting. Just enough hop presence to balance and dry it out. Mouthfeel is luscious. I'm gonna have to brew more of this for sure and keep it year round.

6. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (600) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

I am as well, I am expecting early spring but what do I know?

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  7. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Made a White Ipa today with pils, torrified wheat, oats. Hopped with chinook and cascade. Coriander, lemongrass and orange peel added at 5 minutes. Fermenting with westmalle slurry.

8. OddNotion

9. Jasonja1474

Trader

riptorn, deadwolfbones and OddNotion like this.
  10. wasatchback

wasatchback Devotee (412) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

hahaha

came here to post this.

It’s great yeast. We ferment it at 62 and raise to 66 at the end. It initially floccs really well but can take an additional transfer to really go crystal clear. Great for small hoppy beers as well as Alt. Never tried it in anything over 5%.

Also a big fan of Old Newark. Attenuation can easily be manipulated through mash temps. I’ve gotten over 80% with no dextrose and as little as 72% with short and high mash temps. Easy to make beer with stable haze or beer that’s incredibly clear. Not as neutral as Chico but doesn’t trample hops. It’s the original Ballantine strain. First strain to make IPA in the states I believe??

Also if you live a ways away from NJ, pay for 2 day shipping. Even though Al packages these with a really high cell count I’d still recommend a starter if you have it shipped across the country and the yeast is warm for a while.

#850 wasatchback, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Lukass, Jasonja1474, riptorn and 2 others like this.
  11. deadwolfbones

Society

Thanks again for the tips. Have you tried ECY28 Kellerbier?

12. deadwolfbones

Society

New post on the site about my fresh hop amber ale. Not a winner, but not bad, and a fun experiment. (I just don't like amber ales, I think.)

[​IMG]

13. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

My Wit brewday went off super easy, but I came in 10+ points low. I was out of lactic acid so I'm assuming the pH was too high for proper conversion. Oh well, still beer. Nectarine Blossom yeast was ripping in just over an hour, down to 1.012 from 1.041 in 48 hours, temp is dropping on me, but the sample tastes really good. Let it finish off over the next few days.

14. deadwolfbones

Society

Oh yeah, also brewed V2 of my Italian pils on Sunday:

95% Bestmalz Heidelberg Pils
    5% Weyermann Munich I

25 IBU Hallertau Magnum @ 90
    9 IBU Saphir @ 10
    DDH with 10g Saphir toward the end of primary and 20g after crashing

It's already down to 1.017 from 1.048 after a day and a half, so I already added the first DH charge. I love pitching beers on an active cake. :sunglasses:

Lukass, Davl22, Jasonja1474 and 2 others like this.
  15. OddNotion

I jumped in and grabbed one as well

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  16. deadwolfbones

Society

Also got the ECY Kolsch (and the Kellerbier).

Gonna brew @wasatchback's recipe along with a version made with Bestmalz/Weyermann malts and the Omega Kolsch II strain and then compare/contrast.

skleice likes this.
  17. jbakajust1

I would recommend doing the same exact grist with 2 different yeasts, or 1 yeast and 2 different grists. Switching both introduces too many variables to tell what is from the grist and what is from the yeast.

deadwolfbones and Lukass like this.
  18. deadwolfbones

Society

Yeah, I'm familiar with basic scientific principles. :slight_smile:

I suppose I could build a big enough starter to do two with the same yeast and different grists, but I didn't buy enough of the Ireks to do two with the same grist.

I'm not sure I care that much about isolating one variable, anyway. I just want to see the difference between what I would have made without @wasatchback's post and what his recipe is like.

jbakajust1 and skleice like this.
  19. jbakajust1

You could always mash and boil for 5 gallons, but split ferment to 2 @ 2.5. Package after fermentation. Do the second 5 gallon grist and split onto yeast from first batches. Just a thought. Still only 10 gallons of Kolsch, but 4 variants. Only added labor is cleaning an extra carboy.

deadwolfbones likes this.
  20. deadwolfbones

Society

Good thought! I ferment and serve in corny kegs though, and I'm not sure I have enough kegs to pull that off. :grinning:

Brewing a Bells Two-Hearted-ish all-Centennial IPA today. A homebrew club buddy brewed his take yesterday so we're going to do a side-by-side tasting when they're finished.

Jasonja1474, Lukass, Davl22 and 2 others like this.
  21. deadwolfbones

Society

Damn, that ECY yeast already arrived. Great work, Fermented NJ!

Jasonja1474, OddNotion and Prep8611 like this.
  22. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

That my home town store. 3 minutes from my house. Eric is a great guy.

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  23. deadwolfbones

Society

Aaaand I can't stop buying stuff. Ordered some Centennial, El Dorado, and Citra hop terpenes. Let's do some weird science. :sunglasses:

24. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (536) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Got a brewing assistant for the lifting, soooo
    This weekend
    Irish stout and a double batch of hole hop pale ale using cascade citra and chinook

25. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (532) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Gorm.....great that you're getting some support. Imperative to keep that stout flowing!

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  26. Jasonja1474

Trader

Mine has been in transit since Monday I think. I hope it comes today. Should’ve paid for faster shipping

riptorn, Prep8611 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  27. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (1,991) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Bottled the oaked and brett'ed amber rye saison, put 4 gallons of local raw cider on the dregs (oak spiral included), and got another 5 gallons of cider going with 2 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate and BE-134. 'Tis the season.

Lukass, Davl22, riptorn and 5 others like this.
  28. jbakajust1

Wit from last weekend is done. Kegged it up. Brewed a Saison with Belgian Pils, Flaked Barley, CaraVienne, Belgian Special Aromatic, Saaz, Triskal, debittered Citra. Aiming for 40ish IBUs, 6.8% ABV. Fermenting with a blend of 3724 Dupont, my Nectarine Blossom, and 2 Brett strains from Cantillon.

Lukass, Davl22, OddNotion and 6 others like this.
  29. jbakajust1

And... 15 gravity points low... I think the LHBS has their crush set too wide. My sparge is running faster than it did before and my gravity is way off. Gonna have to run it through my own mill next time.

30. skleice

skleice Aspirant (299) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Brewing a gf NEIPA & bottling the Candy Cap Milk Stout (sample is bangin!). I'm upping the SG & FG on the NEIPA to see if I can get more body (reducing enzymes to achieve this). Also breaking up the DH into 2 charges to see if it will boost aroma.

4L rice
    oats
    quinoa
    goldfinch millet

Galaxy
    Simcoe
    Amarillo
    Columbus

Verdant

31. deadwolfbones

Society

Weird. I'm west coast and I just did USPS Priority.

32. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (536) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Brewing assistant wants more,,,, soooooo
    Today, coconut coco coffee stout aged on oak and sugar maple.
    It’s good to be back.

33. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (501) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Smoking up 11.5 pounds of (6.5#) Rahr 2-Row and (5#) Weyermann Vienna for a smoked ale to be brewed this coming weekend. Still need to finish a recipe beyond the base malts being smoked for it.

Will smoke the malt 3-4 hours and then lightly dry it afterward (malt was moistened with distilled water to help the smoke "stick").

Target OG will be 1.050 or so, fermented with US-05.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Davl22, Lukass, Jasonja1474 and 4 others like this.
  34. jbakajust1

What Smoke? Beechwood, cherry, something else?

Davl22 and riptorn like this.
  35. invertalon

Trader

It's a blend I use with my pellet smoker and have used in the past a few times (it's a mix of Maple, Hickory and Cherry).

In the past, I have used straight hickory, mesquite and apple-wood pellets (good natural pellets, not the cheaper blended/flavored pellets that can be found).

Love the smoke flavor/strength I get from this particular blend. Smoking my own malt is the closest I have come to the potency and flavor to Schlenkerla or Brauerei Spezial from Bamberg. I have tried all the commercial ones from Weyermann to the various variants from Briess, etc... Result is always nice with those, but missing a depth and 'fullness' that I get from doing it myself. Easy enough, just a bit more time/prep.

36. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (532) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Is it packaged as a premixed blend, or do you get the three separately and blend yourself? If the latter, what proportions do you use for your custom blend?

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  37. invertalon

Trader

Pitboss or Lumberjack pellet "Competition Blend". Both use the same mix of Maple, Hickory and Cherry.

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  38. deadwolfbones

Society

If anyone is interested in messing with hop terpenes, Oast House Oils has three varieties (Centennial, Huell Melon, and Mandarina Bavaria) half off for BF.

Jasonja1474, riptorn and skleice like this.
  39. Jasonja1474

Trader

Installed a sight glass on my Anvil Foundry. I got tired of not knowing what my volume was after the mash and sparging without pulling the grain basket out me looking at the etched volume scale then putting the basket back and continue sparging. If it’s a grain bill size I’ve done before I kinda know what volume to sparge with but this will take the guess work out. Did a test run with water and it works great. Bought the sight glass off Amazon.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Just thought I’d share with those who may be thinking of the same thing.

40. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,027) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I just saw that Offset Beer Co is sporting a 4.03 avg on untapp'd. That in itself is noteworthy. And considering that it's virtually all low-ish ABV beers, that's outstanding. Congrats to @wasatchback.

skleice, MrOH, deadwolfbones and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.