brewing drunk

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jlordi12, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flexabull

flexabull Poo-Bah (2,682) Mar 9, 2006 California
    Society

Did it once and it resulted in a beer that was only drainpour worthy. Total waste of time and money.

2. mattsander

mattsander Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2010 Canada (AB)

I don't find the brewing process to be especially complicated or taxing, I'm sure it could be accomplished drunk. Once I got the technique and timing down, my brewdays became quite stress-free and even relaxing. Personally I might have 1-2 beer while brewing, and maybe a jazz cigarette.

3. goodonezach

goodonezach Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2011 New York

i'll have 2 tops, and usually spread out. the idea of having a ton of people over while brewing sounds fun though, i'll have to give it a try soon.

4. psnydez86

psnydez86 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

I had about 7 Bud pounders during the course of my first brew day, an extract pale ale. Ended up with a beer that drank like a clovey belgian dark ale and eventually I had bottles explode. I haven't had a BMC since and the beer gods are now working in my favor.

5. Darthballs

Darthballs Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2011 Missouri

Drink all the time when I brew. Don't set out to get hammered. A six pack and a bomber is not uncommon.Never had any problems or even close calls. I say just stay within your parameters.

6. kjyost

kjyost Meyvn (1,224) May 4, 2008 Canada (MB)

...which is harder to judge when you've had that much. I carry a 6.5 gallon glass carboy downstairs at the end of my brew day, and the idea of breaking that scares the begeezus out of me so I stay sober.

7. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,965) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Like rocdoc, I wait until the wort is chilled and the burners are off. Like kjyost, my brew system is spread over two stories, and the thought of a mistep on the stairs while awkwardly carrying 50# of beer scares the pants off me, especially if I'm using glass (which is why I mostly plastic for primary fermentation). I won't drink a beer until the heavy lifting is done. And like mikehartigan, I start my brewdays in the morning, and the temptation to drink anything but coffee is not too strong.

utahbeerdude likes this.
  8. jlpred55

jlpred55 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

Just brewed....wasted...best beer ever..made pancakes after and dry pancaked my wort! Super excited for this, going to bottle in 40s with blood from honey bees. Only glitch was dropped my iPhone in the boil. I'm sure it's fine.

cmac1705, EOTLBrewer, kjyost and 2 others like this.
  9. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

You don't have to be drunk to do that...I just brewed a stout and had run out of rice hulls, tried cramming > 28#s of grain in a 10 gal mash tun, and put my dehusked malt in first along with 2#s of flaked barley and base malt that was more like flour than milled grain...all while perfectly sober. The sad thing is that I had 6 gals. of extra mash tun capacity and didn't use it untill it was almost too late. Hopefully the <9 gals. of beer I get out of this batch won't taste like shit, but it might...I mashed for 45 min. @ 160 and then 145 for the next (what seemed like) 2 hours :confused:

Good news: I always over hop my Stouts...and this one turned out to be bordering on an Imperial Stout (1.082)

10. IKR

IKR Savant (912) May 25, 2010 California
    Trader

I follow the same sort of reasoning. Right out of College I worked as Waste Treatment Technician, which involved moving 1,000s of gallons of highly alkaline, acidic and cyanide containing solutions. I wouldn't screw around then and I still treat my brew days with the same respect. But after everything is done, that has always been the time for me to imbibe big time!

11. Ilanko

Ilanko Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2012 New York

Never ever, there's some potential danger in to it.

12. samtallica

samtallica Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2010 North Carolina

Used to drink while brewing. Never had anything crazy happen because of it, but these days I prefer to stay clear headed until I'm done. I call my first beer after my brew day my "victory beer."

13. thatsfine

thatsfine Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2010 Arizona

I've only brewed one batch and I nursed one beer during my boil and only after my boil was under control. I couldn't see myself drinking more than one or two while brewing so I don't forget something. But drunk after I brew? That's another story.

14. kaips1

kaips1 Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Kentucky

I love it, the best part is waking up the next day and not remembering what happened but you have a fermentor churning away. Hell I was gonna brew my last batch while on mushrooms but I dont think will happen just due to the focus of it all.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  15. Ilanko

Ilanko Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2012 New York

I have one exception, if and when I will have Brew System such as Brew Magic. I will try Brew under the influence.

16. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (472) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Drunk? absolutely not. Way too much going on to impaired in any way.
    Even one or 2 is usually beyond my. I'll stick with coffee or cola when brewing.
    When learning to brew, a couple guys who were teaching me would pop their first brew and light up a stogie after pitching. I've taken that advise to heart, except for the stogie. Not a smoker, except for weddings.

17. premierpro

premierpro Aspirant (266) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan

I will usualy have a few during my brew day. Saturday a friend came over and we started with a side by side with Hop Slam and Pliny. After that I felt the need to break out more Barley Wine and Belgian strong Ales. I knocked over my hydrometer sample and started swearing! Other then that a good day.

18. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

I feel like a drunk reading this thread. :flushed:

19. RattleheadKV2

RattleheadKV2 Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2011 New Mexico

I usually have a few while I'm brewing. Maybe split a growler with a friend or two. I just don't get drunk really, just maintain a nice buzz throughout. I've always just made a checklist for every brew beforehand that I follow religiously, and so far have turned out some pretty tasty brews.

20. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Poo-Bah (2,662) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Society

Now what did I do with the rest of that bag of shrooms... ? :grimacing:

Psychedelic beer! :astonished:

I'm not drunk right now, but I'm on my way to having several beers, and I'm trying to decide on my next recipe. Does that count?

21. atomeyes

atomeyes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Canada (ON)

brewed drunk and cold sober. both are enjoyable.

my craziest brewing experience was when drunk. was brewing a sour stout. brewed with a friend of mine. she brought over some crazy shit. first beer was at 11:30 AM and was 11% abv. we drank and drank while brewing and it kind of hit us after the boil was done. she went inside and i brought the cooled wort from my front driveway to my back yard. while walking, i randomly lost control of my limbs. some wort came splashing out of the kettle and onto me. unexplainable. was quite funny.

didn't realized how fucked up we were until we took the carboy to my basement and sat, in the darkness, around the carboy. you know, to guard it. i ended up passing out. woke up after 5 min and we continued drinking, went to a local bar, ordered a round, drank it and walked home. over 12 hours of continuous drinking.

i had to tweet the bartender to make sure that we paid our tab.

but so far, so good. the sour's been fermenting for 5 weeks and it looks and smells great. me the next day? didn't look or smell great at all.

22. CASK1

CASK1 Disciple (307) Jan 7, 2010 Florida

I love decoction mashing for Euro lagers, but I go "stir crazy" during the decoction boil. I usually have a beer to pace the decoction and keep my sanity.

23. darknova306

darknova306 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2005 New York

I refuse to brew without drinking beer. That's part of why I love keeping session beers on tap. Nothing like having a nice 3.5% dark mild, pint after pint, during brewday!

24. azorie

azorie Champion (877) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

NOPE, I want the beer to be perfect. I not going to waste my time and money. But once its in the primary, I crack a few, lol.
    cheers!:wink:

25. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (9,715) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Nope. That's called being a sensible and responsible home brewer. We put in too much time and energy perfecting our beers and it makes no sense to brew impaired (I agree). Been there, done that, never worked, and I hate distractions - I'm on board with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.