Brews you miss that are now "retired"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brutaltruth, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WantonFaun

WantonFaun Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Canada

Allagash FV 13

2. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,799) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Prior Double Dark- now there's a blast from the past! The cream-of-the-crop beer served at the Renaissance Festival in Tuxedo, NY; I believe I may have had a few :wink:. That was a FX Matt beer, before they started the Saranac line, wasn't it?

3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (569) Mar 19, 2012 California

I know that I'm at the back of the line...Pete's Wicked Ale...

SN, Pete's, and Redhook ESB were my entry points into micro/craft beer.

4. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Initiate (140) Jan 24, 2006 Michigan

Has anyone said Founder's Black Rye yet? Really would love to try it again to see if I still think it's as good as I did before, was maybe my favorite Founder's brew...

5. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (7,528) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Sam Adams - Imperial Hallertau Pils, it was a total hop bomb and goes against all hop standards normally seen by them. IMO, one of the best beers they ever produced.

atxrax, Rochefort10nh and TongoRad like this.
  6. macandrewsRIP

macandrewsRIP Initiate (49) Oct 28, 2007 Massachusetts

Youngs Special London
    Beamish Stout
    MacAndrews Scotch Ale
    Grants Scottish
    Pete's Maple Porter
    Catamount Christmas

Brutaltruth and Rochefort10nh like this.
  7. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,077) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The Prior brand was created in 1940 by the then-US importer of Pilsner Urquell, Atlantis Imports, when war in Europe cut off their supply of beer. Ads in the 40s claimed matter of factly "Brewed in America to Replace European Beers". It was originally brewed by the Adam Scheidt Brewing Co., of Norristown, PA., which C. Schmidt's & Sons bought in 1954 and continued to run.

As a Schmidt product line, there were eventually 3 Prior beers - Prior Preferred and Prior Light and Dark. The latter described as a "dark Muenchner" and eventually known as Prior Double Dark. C. Schmidt went "upscale" with the beer around 1980, with a fancy new bottle, four pack and --- a new higher price. The "light" - pilsner seemed to disappear around that time.

After Schmidt closed in 1987 and most of their labels were purchased by G. Heileman, the bottled Prior Double Dark disappeared but F. X. Matt did continue to brew a draught version (suggesting that the brand, under Schmidt's, was still owned by Atlantis or it's successors) and even supplied it to McSorley's in NYC as their dark beer. For a long time, there was a rumor that Saranac Black Forest was the same beer as Matt's version of Prior Double Dark, but Fred Matt has been quoted that the beers were "similar", with SBF having "...even more character.” There are still reports of "Prior Double Dark" showing up on draught in upstate NY as late as recent as 2010 - probably brewed by Matt, no idea who owns the label at this point.

8. richobrien

richobrien Devotee (470) Dec 29, 2013 California
    Trader

I don't know if it would classify as "retired" however the one-time (so far?) Yarrgghh collaboration between Tree House and Lawson's was amazing and I would like to very much drink that all the time.

9. MOVERTON1284

MOVERTON1284 Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2014 Alabama

Terrapin Side Project 18 - Liquid Bliss

They released it as year round in 6 packs this year but it is not even close to the same

10. LutherBrau

LutherBrau Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2014 Massachusetts

Sam Adams Holiday Porter

11. beerandtheghost

beerandtheghost Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Illinois

12. Derranged

Derranged Devotee (438) Mar 7, 2010 New York

I never got to try Liquor De Malt. I even asked DFH on their facebook page about it and they said its unlikely they'd ever brew it again. Crap.

13. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (3,342) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

Hilarious.......a hair before my time. The real question......was it good?????

14. LankFreudRyte

LankFreudRyte Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2008 Illinois

Surly/3Floyds Urine Trouble.

15. SkiBum22

SkiBum22 Crusader (787) Oct 18, 2009 New York
    Trader

Blushing Monk (not sure why founders doesn't make this again)
    Black Biscuit (same as above)
    Vanilla BCS (at least a similar version is coming back out)
    King Henry (the best barley wine ever made)
    Kate the Great

16. beerandtheghost

beerandtheghost Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Illinois

Before my time as well though my gramps saved a case - cellaring beer before it was cool. Contrary to what Jimmy Carter would have us believe, it was nothing to write home about.

Brutaltruth likes this.
  17. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,077) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Beamish Stout is not "retired" exactly - just no longer exported. After buying half of Scottish & Newcastle (Carlsberg bought the other half), Heineken wound up with the Irish portion of the company, closed the Beamish brewery, moved production across town to the Murphy's Brewery (that Heineken had owned since, IIRC, the 1950s) and announced that Beamish would become strictly a local Irish brand and Murphy's would be their international stout in export markets.

Oddly, the Murphy's exported to US comes from either Heineken breweries in the UK or Holland, not from Ireland.

18. TurkeyFeathers

TurkeyFeathers Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 New York
    Deactivated

19. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Initiate (0) May 1, 2009 North Carolina

I looked a bunch for threads and found nothing. So what beer have you had that you will never have again? I'm going with Jester King "Thrash Metal". I've had it twice, first time it was amazing, second time it had fallen off a lot. Don't think I will ever see that beer again (at least it's original recipe). What about you.

20. Justin8mypants

Justin8mypants Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2014 Oklahoma

Prairie's Wine Barrel Noir.

kristougher likes this.
  21. ObeMaltKinobee

ObeMaltKinobee Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2010 Illinois

22. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Zealot (544) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

Three Floyd's Pride and Joy. To me, it always seemed like a lite version of Alpha King. I have heard they are going to retire it, maybe thats why Yum Yum is in heavy rotation now.

FFFjunkie likes this.
  23. turbotype

turbotype Disciple (300) Nov 5, 2013 California

BCBS. Flame on.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  24. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (4,207) Feb 11, 2009 Canada
    Society Trader

StrappingYoungLad likes this.
  25. BullDoza

BullDoza Initiate (194) Apr 12, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Arrogant Bastard or the stone RIS.

Simply not a stone fan, and did not enjoy these two very well liked offerings.

Mouserat likes this.
  26. halo3one

halo3one Crusader (788) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

Zima, rip....

27. Tsar_Riga

Tsar_Riga Poo-Bah (2,555) Sep 9, 2013 Indiana
    Society

See now, that was one of the reasons I really enjoyed Pride and Joy and am sorry to see it go. The rare Three Floyds beer that dials back and offers a more moderate, less extreme take on the APA, it made for a good drinker during a meal or on a hot day, and didn't tax my palate if I wanted more than one.

28. Kaz_DemonKnight

Kaz_DemonKnight Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2014 Illinois

---- American Lagers----
    - Steel Reserve (The worst beer I have ever had, hands down.)
    - Natural Ice
    - Rolling Rock

----Craft Beers----
    - Victory Session Saison (I love Victory, but this brew was too sweet man)
    - Schlafly Tasmania IPA (I have only had this beer once and it was about a year ago. I just remembered that I did not like it at all. I can't exactly say why I didn't like it, but I knew I was not going to drink it again. Their American IPA is incredible though.)
    - Founders Double Dancer (These guys make amazing beers, and they are one of my favorite breweries. But I wasn't even half way done, and it started to taste like rubbing alcohol. This is just my opinion. Im sure some Founders fan's like this.

I have had some other bad beers, but to be fair, they were probably skunked and not taken care of after it left the brewery's hands. So this is my list.

29. WAbeerfiend

WAbeerfiend Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2014 Washington
    Deactivated

Peak XV by Black Diamond.
    Almost anything by Elysian or Pike.

wrv01 likes this.
  30. WAbeerfiend

WAbeerfiend Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2014 Washington
    Deactivated

Those were drain pours for me. I gave Stone another chance, though, with Ruination and their regular IPA. Those changed my mind with one sip and now they are favorites.

31. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Disciple (304) Dec 3, 2013 Washington

Any kind of malt liquor. Haven't touched the junk since high school, when it was somewhat useful as a very fast way to get bombed and tasted marginally better than shots of cheap vodka. No one around me drinks this type of swill, so there is practically no chance of even being offered some. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for light AALs, but hell, those are basically just water and not particularly offensive tasting anyway.

wsd627 likes this.
  32. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

Don't feel bad. I felt the same way about BCBBW. Was way too syrupy sweet for my enjoyment. A one and done for me. Would rather spend that kind of money on F-W Sucaba..

33. Immutable_Dusk

Immutable_Dusk Initiate (146) Dec 16, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

It's being retired from bottling, they are still going to keg it for the pub and limited bar distribution. You'll still see it around, just not in bottles anymore unfortunately.

34. 77black_ships

77black_ships Disciple (393) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

3800+ probably, I drink most beers only once, there are only a handful of beers that I regularly buy and drink. If there is something that I liked, I will have it again at a tasting but I rarely see beers return.

35. icetrauma

icetrauma Devotee (490) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

Original Black Metal from Jester King. RIP

Daemose likes this.
  36. Retroman40

Retroman40 Zealot (527) Dec 7, 2013 Florida

Dogfish Head Midas Touch. Considering the price and description I was somehow expecting almost some nectar of the gods and instead got something that actually reminded me of Hurricane High Gravity. No disrespect to DFH intended as their 90 Minute IPA is my "number one with a bullet" malt beverage by far.

37. Traquairlover

Traquairlover Meyvn (1,024) Nov 10, 2007 Virginia

Just about every cask ale I've had in England. Other than something ubiquitus like London Pride, which I usually have at least one pint of when I'm in the UK, I try different beers whenever I am there. Most of them are wonderful, but I am there infrequently enough that most beers never get a second tasting and most probably won't.

38. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Savant (923) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

I visited Hair Of The Dog this summer and every single one of their beers were bad...off flavors everywhere including band aids, blue cheese and batteries. Everyone in our group was psyched to go because of all of the hype the place gets, and thoroughly disappointed with the beers and total experience. I visit Portland a lot, but I'll never pay for that over hyped garbage again!!!

39. DegenErik

DegenErik Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Serbia

Merak, Master. Beers in Serbia that I drank only once and will never again. They are awful.

40. rozzom

rozzom Champion (878) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Is this thread meant to be about beers you won't be able to try again or don't want to try again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.