Brick and Feather

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by epoole3, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epoole3

epoole3 Aspirant (227) Aug 28, 2005 Massachusetts

Why in hell are people not discussing the beautiful beers this brewery has consistently put out since its inception?

Christ!

2. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (5,136) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

The beers are quite good. We stopped on the way to Brattleboro last year. I think the main issue is that it's a bit off the beaten path and Turner Falls doesn't have all that much going (at least that I could see). I'm sure there's some kind of Western MA circuit you can do. That said you do make a good point. Hopefully they're doing well enough so they can thrive while still keeping well-kept secret status.

SABERG likes this.
  3. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (468) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Agree. Had a few growlers and some drafts at Armsby. Been wanting to hit up the tap room for awhile. Anybody been? Good vibe?

4. epoole3

It’s VERY low key. Good place to enjoy a couple pints or a flight with a few friends. Growlers are always on, cans are usually available. Flagship IPAs (Zelda and In Absentia) are stellar, Positively 11th and 22nd St are insanely tasty for 5% pales. Pilsners, lagers, and porters are all on point, as well as a slew of others. Turners Falls has some nice places for food and beers, too. Five-eyed Fox and Riff’s North to name a few.

chipawayboy likes this.
  5. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (256) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Enjoyed several excellent lagers there during Western MA Beer Week.

sosbombs likes this.
  6. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (157) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Five-eyed Fox closed in late spring.

https://www.recorder.com/Five-Eyed-Fox-closed-hopes-of-a-new-chapter-25739127

7. killamonjaro

killamonjaro Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2017 Massachusetts

Really enjoy their stuff. Agree that it’s off the beaten path, hit a flash blizzard going through the mountains one time to check the taproom out. Place is easy to miss as well it’s in a small industrial park. Would probably make a good drive during leaf peepers season

chipawayboy likes this.
  8. epoole3

9. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (182) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

10. sosbombs

sosbombs Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

It is pretty close to the highway.

11. sosbombs

Yeah, I enjoyed going there. Supposedly lost their cook and did not want to continue.

12. sosbombs

Another place that does not seem to get much buzz is River Roost in NH.

13. Jonathan-Dixon

Jonathan-Dixon Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2016 Maine

River Roost is in Vermont. I’ve been to Brick & Feather for growlers and pours before it’s mellow, small. Positively 22nd is fantastic.

14. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,124) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

We live near enough to Brick and Feather, I watch out for the occasional Firkin Sunday.
    The gravity cask treatment of their offerings is always a home run.
    Cheers All

15. followerofmen

followerofmen Initiate (104) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts

I've been waiting for this place to blow up for years and they still haven't. Seems like they're doing enough business that I won't complain. Love their beer, love their beer, love their beer.

16. J_LoopholeGM

J_LoopholeGM Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2019 Massachusetts

Great beers, Lawrence is awesome. Always happy to spend some time there when I get the chance.

epoole3 likes this.
  17. Dukies222001

Dukies222001 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2016 New Hampshire

I live smack dab in the middle of River Roost and Brick & Feather and can vouch they are both fantastic and under rated. Some of us are hoping it stays that way lol.

It amazes me how many people plan trips all throughout Vermont and fly right by River Roost on the way. There is a max of 2 maybe 3 breweries that I would put ahead of them in the entire state of Vermont.

Brick & Feather is always a stop for me when heading south to the Springfield area. Both places have super low key tasting rooms as well.

epoole3 and SABERG like this.
  18. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Initiate (47) Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts

For a second I thought you were saying you’re happy to spend time in Lawrence.

19. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (153) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Stopped in on Saturday. Was super low key and empty (we were there pretty early). Had a 5oz sample of In Absentia and Kitten with a Whip (helles lager). I'd previously had In Absentia at Armsby after Bane's last show in 2016 and thought it was killer. Still do. But the Helles was really, really good and I'm mad they had just run out of cans.

Also picked up some cans of Positively 22nd and Magnetic Aesthetic, but haven't tried them yet. All in all cool little spot.

20. chinacat

chinacat Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2014 Massachusetts

Hit Brick and Feather and then go eat and drink at People's Pint in Greenfield. Some pretty good beers there too I thought.

21. trsC

trsC Initiate (84) May 5, 2013 Spain

Can also recommend Hope and Olive for food... often have Brick and Feather as well as Honest Weight on tap.

SouthAtholSuds likes this.
  22. ElmerTLee

ElmerTLee Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2015 Connecticut

Went to NH to adopt a dog and told the wife we're going to BnF, since I'm never up that way.

Fantastic place, very low key, awesome people and beer!

Nichols33 and SABERG like this.
  23. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (293) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

and after that I would suggest a visit to Ryan and Casey's liquor store- definitely one of the better selections of craft beer in this part of MA.

24. sosbombs

who asked for a geography lesson. I thought we were discussing small breweries off of 91.

25. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,124) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Brick and feather is 7 minutes off of exit 27 of I91.
    Quick run on 2 East left at the Turners bridge, onto Avenue A.
    Right onto 11th st. Park and Delight
    Cheers

26. NWH83

NWH83 Devotee (412) Jan 2, 2009 California
    Society

B&F makes some of the best beer in MA, hell, if not the US (IMO of course). I always make it a point to go there whenever I'm in MA, even if it requires a long drive. I find it amusing that there are lines, expansions, etc etc at some of the more "popular" breweries in MA while B&F silently and consistently puts out amazing beer with no hype.

SouthAtholSuds, Jmr85 and SABERG like this.
  27. thedaveofbeer

Trader

Are you seriously mad that people are offering other suggestions nearby?

Rysk22 likes this.
  28. ppponte

ppponte Initiate (24) Feb 1, 2010 Massachusetts

so for someone in the Boston area, without driving to the tap room, any way to get cans? Any distro?

29. dubdrop

dubdrop Disciple (340) Aug 6, 2012 Vermont
    Trader

no can distro that i know of. very limited draft accounts too. i don't think i've ever seen B&F in greater Boston.

30. NWH83

NWH83 Devotee (412) Jan 2, 2009 California
    Society

As others have said I don't think they have any distro regarding cans... as for draft, I have seen them at Armsby Abbey/Worcester, but I don't remember seeing any draft available in the Boston area.

31. ppponte

ppponte Initiate (24) Feb 1, 2010 Massachusetts

well damn. Maybe I will take the long way next time up to vermont. I am burned out on everything in boston. Trillium anything is a muddled sweet mess that looks like orange juice, lamplighter is ok but fell off a bit, idle hands I enjoy but sometimes a bit further than i want to uber. Mystic is gone, notch is too far in salem, havent been to vitamin sea because weymouth is a dead zone. Castle island doesnt really move the needle, harpoon is mehhhhh, sam adams and turtle swamp are a joke. I am basically just drinking cans of schilling from fort point market and the occasional frost when they get them. Will keep my eyes peeled if anything brick and feather turns up

32. sosbombs

I am the one who said that Brick and Feather is not far out of anyones way.

SABERG likes this.
  33. sosbombs

Not angry, was responding to something else. I will would love to hear about all or any places.

34. thedaveofbeer

Trader

Ah my apologies then- I would also suggest a visit to Honest Weight Brewery in Orange Mass as well- more of a detour off I 91 but they make some great beer in a variety of styles

SouthAtholSuds, sosbombs and SABERG like this.
  35. epoole3

Rejoice! Five Eyed Fox is reopening
    according to their Instagram.

#35 epoole3, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  36. oldbean

oldbean Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Sauron's Nightlight has militarized me against pastry stouts.

TheOneTC, followerofmen and epoole3 like this.
  37. epoole3

I can barely stomach them anymore.

38. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

They describe it as a "very robust porter" so I don't know if comparing it to a pastry stout is fair.

39. oldbean

oldbean Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Literally my point is that it's different.

40. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

Cool.
    First time having it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.