Bring back that beer....

Discussion in 'US - West' started by derftron, Mar 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derftron

derftron Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Was perusing the aisles the other day and started thinking about a beer that's no longer around that I would really enjoy right now..... Ft. George Sunrise OPA

If you could bring back a beer (either a 1 off or regular offering), what would it be?

Another one that I miss is Green Flash Rayon Vert :slight_frown:

2. drone

drone Jun 17, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

This has me thinking about breweries with rotating line-ups and few, if any, staples. Breweries like Cloudburst and Gigantic rotate a majority of their beers consistently. While this certainly appeals to the modern market, it sometimes bums me out, knowing I'll never have another pour of some phenomenal beer.

I get it from a business perspective, and it seems to be where most are going, but damn if I don't miss some starlets from Gigantic, Cloudburst, and Skookum. Gigantic's Superbad from several years ago was a particularly delicious coffee stout that I'd love to see return. Awesome bottle art too:

[​IMG]

kemoarps, woemad, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  3. HopBroker

HopBroker Jun 5, 2015 Washington
    Trader

My #1 is No-Li Rise and Grind. Started drinking this pretty early on in my student life at Gonzaga. They stopped making it a few years ago and I ask for it every time I go in, thinking that they might have brewed another batch. The answer is no every time, but I'll keep asking!

woemad, sharpski, zestd and 1 other person like this.
  4. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Sep 12, 2012 Oregon
    Society

I wish de Garde would bring back the Bu series.

5. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I wish that Fort George would bring back the 2014 version of 3-Way IPA (FG, Boneyard, and Block 15). Tons of citrus, plenty of bitterness, and super satisfying.

I would also be happy with a return of the 2016 3-Way (FG, Barley Brown's, and Melvin), which was another crowd-pleasin' NW IPA.

6. derftron

yeah the 2014 3-way will go down in BA lore. I probably drank 30 of them

kemoarps, guajolote, woemad and 3 others like this.
  7. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Jun 20, 2005 Washington

Holy Mountain Astral Projection - before it became hazy.

8. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Jun 20, 2005 Washington

Also Upright Billy the Mountain

(yadee yadee yaaaa daaaa!)

9. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

This was the first beer I immediately thought about when I saw this topic.

There was some variation in the batches that year, but the one's that were really good were just incredible.

I can still remember being at 16 Tons in Eugene after they had just tapped a fresh keg. They had a number of beers on the tap list that I was interested in trying, but I thought I would order a glass of 3 way first. The first sip was soooooooo good, I had to sit down and collect my thoughts. At that point I started to reconsider if I really wanted to order anything else other than 3 way that day. By the end of the glass I had calmed down somewhat, and so I went ahead and ordered some other beers on the list I had wanted to try.

That night when I went home, all I could think about was the glass of 3 way I'd had over at 16 tons. So the next day I made a beeline back over to the taphouse. Alas, it was all gone. The bartender indicated that everyone who ordered a glass loved it, and that the keg had blown just before closing the previous Saturday night.

I got to try it again plenty of times after that episode, but even after all these years, that particular pint of 3 way is something I still can't shake from my memory.

woemad, TaborTime, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  10. blackcloud

blackcloud Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

the redhook starbucks double black stout that i used to drink in '97. that was such a good beer. again, for the time. would it hold up to good coffee stouts now? no clue. but as the first one i ever had, it was amazing and i have such fond memories.

11. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Same here. Man, that was a lot of years ago now (I had it on tap at the old downtown Seattle pub, and I think it was a blue line offering). Probably no big deal in today's world, but at the time I was astounded by the coffee flavor in that beer (not only very prominent, but it tasted as if Redhook had used really high quality coffee). At the time, it was almost too much of a good thing. The one small glass I ordered back then was all that I could handle.

Didn't the label actually have the Starbucks insignia as part of the label for that beer (so you would know it was authentic)?

woemad and blackcloud like this.
  12. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

What was that blue colored Star Trek beer? Romulan ale or something? Or even though it never existed, how about Stone Vertical Epic 01.01.01?

Seriously, I haven't had one in a decade or more but I remember liking MacAndrews Scotch ale.

woemad likes this.
  13. derftron

also.... Upright #7, Commons FH Myrtle and Commons Urban Farmhouse. I will miss all of these this summer/fall

14. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

By treaty agreement, the Federation doesn't allow the importation of Romulan ale from the empire. While humans are able to consume and appreciate Romulan ale, it's renowned for the severe, blinding headaches and hangovers it typically causes.

Part of the problem I believe, is that humans from the federation have become too accustomed to consuming synthehol, and so are all the more susceptible to the adverse consequences and side effects of consuming real Romulan Ale. My understanding is that a synthehol version of Romulan ale was attempted at one point, but for whatever reason, didn't catch on (apparently, if humans are going to consume Romulan ale, they prefer the genuine article, adverse side effects and all).

15. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Sep 12, 2012 Oregon
    Society

Yesss....Bring back the entire Commons brewery, please.

16. NWer

NWer Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I don't miss a thing. The world of beer has evolved so much since I was young I'm overwhelmed at the offerings and can't keep up. Cheers.

edit: well, maybe B1K.

woemad, BBThunderbolt and VashonGuy like this.
  17. Amendm

Amendm Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Weez from Maine Beer, Black Ales are in decline and Weez was my favorite.

afrokaze and woemad like this.
  18. honkduh

honkduh Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

I would say the 2014 Stone Espresso Imperial Russian stout but it's back this year :slight_smile:

woemad, NWer and vurt like this.
  19. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

It did. And Starbucks and Redhook were both perceived as much more "premium" in 1997.

ch3no2, woemad, blackcloud and 4 others like this.
  20. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

@NWer has a good perspective. There's so much good stuff around now that there's barely time to remember the great beers of the past. My personal "Beer Hall of Fame" would have Fremont's Spring Elixir and Brew 1000 in places of honor. But hey, Fremont keeps on bringing out spectacular IPAs and B2K and B3K, so who's complaining.

Now, if we could just get Russian River to distribute in this area once again. I consider PtE to still be among the greats, not to mention their sours.

woemad, zestd, NWer and 3 others like this.
  21. HopBroker

HopBroker Jun 5, 2015 Washington
    Trader

I was gonna say this! But I didn't know if they still had plans to make it in the future.

22. derftron

yeah im definitely not comparing eras, because the current beer scene is 1000x more robust than it was even 10 years ago.

there are just a handful of beers that i wish were still kicking around.

kemoarps, woemad and vurt like this.
  23. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Fremont's Oaked Dark Star with Hazlenuts and Smoked Pepercorns.

[​IMG]

I can't figure out why this isn't a thing anymore. @Texwild?

I don't know what you're talking about... hehehe.

24. LarryV

LarryV Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

I miss Tremont IPA, that was a fine English style IPA courtesy of Chris Lohring and the Atlantic Coast Brewing company.

25. distantmantra

Trader

They've brought that back in the past, but it's not a regular thing. Vita coffee was used in the 2012 release and I know it was on tap at the Woodinville facility in 2016.

woemad likes this.
  26. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

And Saison Desay. As long as we're shooting for the moon, I'd love it to be $5 per 750ml, but I can live with a higher price point if it returns.

Seconded.

woemad, jason_nwx and vurt like this.
  27. TaborTime

TaborTime Dec 10, 2013 Oregon

Pulp Free. All bias aside, easily top 3 hazy style beer for me.

vurt likes this.
  28. derftron

well some good news. Ft. George sunrise OPA will be on tap at OBF this year. not as good as cans in my local market, but ill take it!

kemoarps, muchloveforhops3 and woemad like this.
  29. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Pulp Free made me think I liked hazy IPAs.

Turns out I just really liked Pulp Free. It ruined so many hazy IPAs that followed it.

Pulp Free: the spoiler.

kemoarps and TaborTime like this.
  30. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Oh, I was totally on board with your post, until this.

Do we actually miss them? Sure, I enjoy a PtY or Blind Pig when I get one, but, do I, or any of us, crave them?

If they came back, what local favorites would they push off the shelves?

woemad likes this.
  31. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I am on board with the OP: I miss that Fort George OPA. Jim Parker repped them up here, and the stuff was on tap and in the stores regularly. Jim left his gig with Ft. George, and, probably coincidentally, they reduced their line-up, and distribution after.

Having OPA gone was like losing a limb. OPA and Mirror Pond were my favorite "Drinking Beers". When ya wanna just hang with friends at a cookout, and not focus on beer, but still drink tasty stuff that went well with the feel of the day, unmatched.

Spikester, kemoarps, woemad and 2 others like this.
  32. distantmantra

Trader

I’d love to have access to Temptation bottles again.

33. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Cannot argue with that.

kemoarps likes this.
  34. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

I had family in SF, and two or three times a year I'd visit, and every time I'd get Pliny the Elder, and RR sours. Every time. There's stuff on the shelves here that wouldn't be missed.

woemad and BBThunderbolt like this.
  35. NWer

NWer Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Totally agree with everything you say. I would have no complaint finding a place on the shelf for RR stuff. Modern Times give a little perhaps? I much prefer RR to them. But that's just me. YMMV

kemoarps, Spikester, woemad and 3 others like this.
  36. derftron

I could of swore i just saw some bottles the other day. Johns Mkt has consecration bottles. wish i could remember where i saw the temptation bottles. stupid brain :slight_frown:

37. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Most of the stuff I miss, I miss because of distro.

I drank a ton of Terrapin Rye back when I lived in Atlanta and I'd love to have a 6er of it right now. Same with Wake n Bake.

38. distantmantra

Trader

Washington, yo. We haven't had Russian River since the end of 2012.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  39. ewendel

ewendel Feb 12, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Sixpoint's RAD — best fuggin' (grapefruit) Radler I've ever had. Sadly, it was a one-off, so I rode my bike around Philly back in the day buying up every damn 4-pack I could find. Then when the distro supply ran out, I found a local bar that was sitting on a couple cases, and just kept going back day after day for cans till I cleaned 'em out. Greatest summer crusher ever.

followerofmen, vurt, woemad and 2 others like this.
  40. derftron

ahhhhh. got it. Boy that sucks

woemad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.