Bring It Back: What beers would you like to see resurrected?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Sanacja2635, Jul 11, 2016.

1. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (359) Apr 29, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I have not, but I just might! SN kindly emailed me the Anniversary recipe when I requested it 5 years ago, so I do brew it up on occasion:).

Looking at the specs the Single Hop is slightly different as its not bittered with Chinook and is missing the tiny splash of Munich in the mash. Its also a touch drier on paper, but whatever, it looks close enough! And if it tastes anything like Anniversary, I may have my new favorite Fall release...again!

#321 TriggerFingers, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (1,904) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Saranac Lake Effect Lager

utopiajane likes this.
  3. gcasher

gcasher Devotee (426) Dec 20, 2008 Pennsylvania

McKewan's Export, low alcohol, Scottish Malt Bomb. Yummy.

keithmurray likes this.
  4. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (506) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Götterdämmerung had power and finesse the likes have not come around again.

New Belgum/Alpine Super IPA-----bring it.

TongoRad likes this.
  5. Yellowlt4

Yellowlt4 Initiate (122) Sep 21, 2016 Texas

Pete's Wicked Maple Porter.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  6. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (4,452) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Sam Adams Imperial Hallertau Pilsner. The rating for this beer is high for a Sam Adams product. Yes, Sam Adams gets no love and get it. ...... However, that Imperial Pilsner was really good! (.....despite the brewery, no apologies here.....)

7. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (2,735) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon

In no particular order.
    Michelob Dark
    Weinhards Blackberry Wheat
    Petes Strawberry Blond
    MacTarnahan's MacFrost Winter Ale
    Deschutes Quail Springs IPA
    Saxer Bock
    Bert Grants Scottish Ale and Perfect Porter.

8. Critofur

Critofur Initiate (119) Oct 21, 2010 Ohio

Goose Island - Pere Jaques

I've tried hundreds of "craft" beers including the highest rated ones like Rochefort 10 and Founder's KBC. Of them all Pere Jaques is my favorite and when it's a good vintage, not a stretch to call it the "world's best beer".

But, with all things exceptional, they are by definition, not "ordinary" and thus, probably not most suited to ordinary palates? I have to guess that's why it was discontinued, because it was simply too extraordinary? I actually didn't like it the first time I tried it, it was so strange - flavors of banana, bubble gum, rum cake and dates - I was like "what the hell is this?", but, I thought hmm, it is not actually bad, and it's interesting, I'll give it a chance. By the time I'd finished my second 4 pack I was convinced that it's something special and really liked it. It's one of those beers where I just have one in an evening. Not something I'd take to the beach, or fishing, or just have with lunch. More for the sorts of situations where some guys would have "a snifter of scotch and a fine cigar" while sitting in a comfy chair.

I read on some post that it has been brought back, however, I can't find it in Columbus, OH.

9. Wingnut93

Wingnut93 Aspirant (291) Aug 21, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

That bonfire blonde was horrendous, a drain pour after 2 sips of it. My taste buds have nightmares about this beer!

10. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (1,923) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Meister Brau. I used to deliver it when I worked for a Miller distributor 17 years ago but I never tried it.

11. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,220) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Someone bought the rights to brand a few years back when Miller auctioned it off...
    ...but unlike National Premium, which was purchased by someone else during the same auction, Meister Brau doesn't seem to have been revived.

Lucular likes this.
  12. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (1,904) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Meister Brau was horrible from my high school beer pallet. I say let it live only when watching Cousin Eddie in Xmas vacation.

13. mudbug

mudbug Zealot (593) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

A-1 Beer from Phoenix in the 40oz Maloxx bottle

dcotom likes this.
  14. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,164) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa

SN Flipside
    SA Pumpkin Batch

Pantalones and alucard6679 like this.
  15. HermitDan

HermitDan Disciple (345) Apr 30, 2016 New Jersey

Saranac Black Forest. A great Schwarzbier and one of Saranac's best

Foyle, 57md, JackHorzempa and 4 others like this.
  16. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (189) Feb 25, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Stone Suede Imperial Porter

17. fx20736

fx20736 Meyvn (1,006) Mar 7, 2009 New York

I finally found someone who agrees with me on Pere Jacques! One of my all time favorite beers. I have 3 bottles of 2012 that I plan to drink this December

18. ingchr1

ingchr1 Aspirant (274) Jun 4, 2008 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It was a part of their German Roots pack last year. Hopefully it returns every year.

19. HermitDan

They retired it right after that variety pack. I talked to the Saranac rep that came into our store.

20. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (247) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Stone Espresso IRS
    Stone Dayman
    Stone Smoked Porter
    SN Tumbler
    FW Double DBA
    Anchor Bock

That's what I got off the top of my head

Brolo75, BergBeer and Pantalones like this.
  21. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,161) Jan 2, 2001 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

You didn't miss much.

22. Critofur

Critofur Initiate (119) Oct 21, 2010 Ohio

I have a buddy that I often share new [to me] craft beers that I try. I believe he had only been drinking "ordinary" beer like Miller, Bud, or their Mexican equivalents before I started sharing beers with him. He thoroughly enjoyed the four pack of KBC we split earlier this year (a lot more than I did, to me, it was merely "good"), but he heard me lamenting the fact that I could never find any more Pere Jaques and he told me that was actually his favorite beer too, and thank you for letting him try it (along with all the others).

I do hope I find find some of the recent batch, somewhere, somehow. I saw a photo of the 2016 vintage on a website not long ago and I've asked a couple of my local stores to get it for me. Unfortunately, Ohio is one of those whacky states where the state decides what we get or don't get. I have them to thank (sarcasm) for deciding to stop carrying Suntory whiskey. Grr. Now the only Suntory we get is the single bottle we bring back when my wife, or our family travels to Japan, or, occasionally, when we drive to another state on a road trip and I find it there.

23. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Disciple (378) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Another vote for SN Tumbler and Flip Side. Year round, please!

Saw Stone's - Espresso IRS mentioned...never got my hands on that so definitely voting in that direction. Too early into my craft days when it was out.

VABA, HermitDan, JrGtr and 2 others like this.
  24. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (247) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

It was indeed fantastic. Or at least good enough for me still have my fingers crossed 4 years later;)

25. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,220) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Well, if they were to bring back Meister Brau, hopefully it'd wouldn't be the "popular-priced" Miller product of the 1980s but German-born brewmaster Richard Siebold's "No sugars or syrups" 1930s era recipe (brewed for "beer cranks")...
    [​IMG]

One of the last US brewers to offer unpasteurized beer in the the 64 oz. "picnic" bottle, too (well into the 1960s, if not right up to the end).
    [​IMG]
    * A "high school beer pallet "? Damn, that's a lot of beer. :eek:
    We didn't drink that much, most I recall is once when 5 or 6 of us all scoring a case of Rolling Rock ponies each... ;)

Brolo75, ecpho, Pantalones and 6 others like this.
  26. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,074) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

BCBS comes out for about a half-day once a year, then is discontinued for 364.5 days! Many places anyway. Bring it back more often!

Pantalones likes this.
  27. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Devotee (406) Apr 17, 2015 Washington

I'd like to see New Belgium bring back their Lips of Faith Cocoa Molé.

Bitterbill, crobinso and bbtkd like this.
  28. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Crusader (707) Feb 5, 2014 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Another vote for Firestone Walker Double DBA

Brolo75, BergBeer and crobinso like this.
  29. SteveD082791

SteveD082791 Disciple (394) Jun 20, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

another vote for Stone Espresso RIS. Probably also mentioned, but Founder's Curmudgeon's better half and Frangelic Mountain Brown

30. threeviews

threeviews Zealot (512) Apr 18, 2011 New Jersey

Hop Crisis (21st Amendment)
    Muffin Top (Clown Shoes)
    Hop Wallop (Victory)

HermitDan likes this.
  31. eppCOS

eppCOS Disciple (335) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Subscriber

+1 that the correct answer is FW Wookie Jack! Dammit!

32. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,083) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

33. User_Name

User_Name Initiate (110) Aug 16, 2016 Massachusetts

Narragansett Porter,not the new one but the original was some great stuff.Drank tons of it back in the day.

Bitterbill and jesskidden like this.
  34. WhatdaHec

WhatdaHec Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2003 California

Pete's Wicked Ale
    Pete's Wicket Winter Brew
    Bert Grant's Summer Brew
    Sierra Nevada Brown

Bitterbill likes this.
  35. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Disciple (378) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Maybe since Stone is holding out on IRS this year they'll bring back Espresso next year as a gift. Wishful thinking !:eek:

ebin6, VABA and alucard6679 like this.
  36. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Savant (908) May 14, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

In same vein, I really miss Sam Adams Black Lager. I'm almost positive that was put to bed but I'm not 100%

57md and HermitDan like this.
  37. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (481) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Harpoon Munich Dark gets the job done. But I also miss Saranac Black Forest at xmas time.

I'd also add SN Anniversary Ale. Always played second fiddle to Celebration Ale among seasonals, but still a good beer.

HermitDan likes this.
  38. HermitDan

I pray that you're lying right now. Why the hell would they get rid of tumbler????

39. ebin6

ebin6 Disciple (347) Jun 11, 2009 California

Now that cans have caught on, Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous would be killer. 4-pack pint cans of it would rule my fridge

40. Giantspace

Giantspace Zealot (501) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Diesel in 16oz cans......or 12oz can if there is no other option

Enjoy

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.