Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Latin America Bringing beer into Mexico

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by bayareahustla, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Jul 13, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Now i know you can travel by airlplane and bring suitcases full of beer from tons of places outside the USA, but is this the same for bringing beer with me to mexico? im going to Cancun in a couple weeks and want to bring some nice beers to celebrate in Mexico. Is this common? am i good to go? im lost and have searched google many times and have found nothing! HELP BA!

2. elNopalero

elNopalero Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Yes. Yes you can.

jrnyc likes this.
  3. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Jul 13, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

i guess it was a simple answered thread, CLOSE UP SHOP PLEASE MODS!

4. Beeranator

Beeranator Feb 8, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Its Mexico! the rules are made up and the points don't matter!

AwesomeSquad likes this.
  5. dcloeren

dcloeren Sep 15, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I brought somewhere around 8-10 Karbach canned beers with me to enjoy out on the beach when I went for my honeymoon. They typically scan your bag at Mexican airports after you go through customs. They stopped and opened mine and asked what it was. I'm guessing there is a limit on how many ounces/liters you can bring, but after a short conversation they zipped me up and we were on our way.

6. dcloeren

dcloeren Sep 15, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I brought somewhere around 8-10 Karbach canned beers with me to enjoy out on the beach when I went for my honeymoon. They typically scan your bag at Mexican airports after you go through customs. They stopped and opened mine and asked what it was. I'm guessing there is a limit on how many ounces/liters you can bring, but after a short conversation they zipped me up and we were on our way.

7. juankzas

juankzas Jun 13, 2008 Mexico

Yes, you can bring beer to México, as previously said your bags will be scanned and opened if something suspicious shows up. You are allowed up to 3 liters of beer per 18+ person (3.17 quarts). The result if you bring more than the allowed allotment depends on the customs agent, you can be lucky and let go with the beer or you must pay the tax or the additional items can be seized.

If you are bringing 750s that doesn't say beer in the main label you can tell at customs that is wine, you are allowed to bring 6 liters of wine instead of 3 liters of beer.

8. WesleySassafras

WesleySassafras Nov 3, 2007 Texas

You can bring beer, if you'd like, but there is a nascent craft beer movement in Mexico. Here's some information about craft beer in Cancun:
    http://www.beersinparadise.com/?p=13234. Specifically, there is the Beer Box in downtown Cancun and the Club de la Cerveza in Playa del Carmen. They may have Facebook pages.

I'm traveling to Guanajuato in October and I cannot be more excited about the options available! Just 5 years ago the only option I was aware of was Cucapa from Baja, and I was only able to find in one posh restaurant in Oaxaca.

I hope this post was in time!

9. juankzas

If you have a twitter account I suggest contacting @Mario_Duran for information regarding the craft beer scene in Guanajuato.

Cheers

10. moonman14

moonman14 Sep 27, 2012 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

I know this thread is really old but has anyone brought beer from the US to Mexico recently? Do you think I'll have issues bringing around (20) 16oz cans and a few bottles? Based on the statement below is sounds like I will: http://yucalandia.com/.../what-can-i-bring-into-mexico.../

Passengers over 18 years of age, may bring in a maximum of up to 10 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco and up to three liters of alcoholic beverages, and six liters of wine. Items in excess of the above cannot be imported without complying with applicable regulations and restrictions.*

11. juankzas

Just declare them, the worst case is that you'll have to pay for the excess . If you can, put a lower price tag on the beers

Mike_Aguirre likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe