Bringing your own beer on a cruise line

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by maximum12, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (5,393) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Well, against my better judgment, I've been roped into a cruise, though at least it'll be a break from the Minnesota winter.

I've been reading up on cruisers thoughts about getting contraband (i.e. beer) on board, & there are a few topics over the years here, too. Opinions seem to be all over the board from "easy to get beer on board" to "don't even bother to try". So I have a few specific questions for those who've been fairly recently.

How thoroughly do they check your 'carry-on' items? Has anyone just thrown a six-pack in their luggage & had it show up in your room safely? One 750ML of wine is allowed - anybody brought a 750ML of beer in its place 'legally'?

Thanks.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  2. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Crusader (736) Dec 20, 2011 Arizona
    Trader

Since one bottle of wine or champagne is allowed, I would imagine bringing a C&C bottle of beer and having it pass through would be easy. I've personally never had issues with putting alcohol in my luggage, never tried beer and have never been "caught." Maybe it's just who's screening and who's in a bad/good mood that day...

GreenBayBA likes this.
  3. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,464) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

Wait... the cruise line doesn't want you bringing your own booze on a cruise? Weird.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  4. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

You could always use a six pack or two of Bud Light as a diversion away from the good stuff buried deeper in your luggage!

5. Zhillsgator

Zhillsgator Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2014 Florida

I have had alcohol in my luggage many times and never been caught. On my last cruise I took corked beer bottles and walked on with them in my carry on. The only thing security was interested in was how many. I took on 3 bottles because there were other people in the group not taking on wine/champagne. I have a friend who has successfully put a case of Bud Light in this suitcase multiple times. He takes a soft side cooler for the room and has the cabin steward keep his beer cold for him!

6. pmangold

pmangold Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 Florida

they check carry ons for sure...and at the port they'll put your bags through a scanner like at the airport. Pretty sure you wont get booze through that way unless (like it's stated above) it's corked and looks like wine. and the limit will apply. as for checked bags. I've taken 1.75ml bottles and have never been caught. I expect to get caught each time and only take what I'm okay with losing out on if that happens. Carnival also started serving CCB on their boats, so you'll get Florida Cracker and Invasion more than likely. Could be worse.

7. maximum12

Society Trader

THAT is some worthwhile info! I didn't see anything but crap on their beer menu.

The current plan is to grab a sixer of Jai Alai each, or something similarly tasty & not heart-wrenching if it's lost, & toss it in the luggage. Can't hurt (much) to try, right? It's my first cruise, so I can always plead ignorance, which isn't hard for me to do.

jodyray25 and pmangold like this.
  8. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

Never really researched brining beer on but brining liquor is a lot easier.

9. jrand2621

jrand2621 Aspirant (298) Dec 26, 2013 Connecticut

Never done beer, but have bought a case of water, emptied bottles out and filled them with vodka, put the bottles back in the case. Walk right on with them, no questions asked.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  10. kkleu357

kkleu357 Crusader (784) Apr 2, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

You are allowed to bring pop on board. If you are worried, just carefully open a 12 pack of coke, add your beer, then place coke in the 12 pack anywhere you can see into it, for instance the handle area. Then simply glue the box flap back together. This works well.

11. maximum12

Society Trader

I read this somewhere else too, maybe an old post here? Doesn't sound like a bad plan to me, although the ignorance excuse crawls right out the window!

jrnyc likes this.
  12. flexabull

flexabull Poo-Bah (2,682) Mar 9, 2006 California
    Society

I'm like you, not a big fan of cruises. But my wife's family does, so I've been on a couple.

They allow you to bring a bottle of wine per person if I remember right. I assume that could be a 750/22 of beer, we just drank the wine before the cruise, and refilled the bottles with Vodka and Bourbon.

GreenBayBA, RP21 and maximum12 like this.
  13. SmashPants

SmashPants Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2012 Australia

The alcohol on cruises are notoriously cheap anyway. They want you to drink so you'll have a good time and spend plenty of money on other entertainment.

14. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (539) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Aside from carrying on beer, more info would be helpful from the BAs on what their experiences are w/what if any craft beer is served between on cruise lines. Pmangold, being the only one so far...

GreenBayBA and pmangold like this.
  15. iTunesUpdates

iTunesUpdates Initiate (0) May 7, 2014 Florida

They run the luggage through machines to check for liquid. I ended up getting a bottle of wine removed because of their limits.

The best idea was to place canned beer into a coke 12pk and disguise it. They wont open that up and check each can. But make sure to at least put some coke cans in where they would be visible through the handle.

16. Northlax3

Northlax3 Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2012 New Jersey

Get a 750ml beer bottle that looks Fancy, with a regular cap on it ( like Goose Island Juliet, Hallia, Gillian etc). Either bring 2 of them (per some cruises rules you can bring two 750ml bottles of wine), or refill them with what you want to bring.

If you have a bottle capper, that is a huge plus and makes it easier. electrical tape the crap out of the cap around the seal put in plastic bags.. If they ask, just be like, I didnt want the wine to spill, just in case.

I did this, and they never even said a word to me or looked twice.

17. crazyjoedivola

crazyjoedivola Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Colorado

Most beer isn't strong enough to be of any use in enduring a cruise. Just smuggle booze in plastic flasks. The bag with a screw top kind. I took one full of bourbon for me and one full of vodka for the lady. Got em on with no problem

18. OldRickSputin

OldRickSputin Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2014 Illinois

Went on one carnival cruise 15 years ago.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.

19. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (480) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

So, uhh.......how was the cruise? :grinning:

20. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,612) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

They don't check much at all; a few bombers have always made the trip with me. Done 5 Carnival cruises and one on RC and never an issue.

Don't let a vacation curtail your ability to tick!

GreenBayBA likes this.
  21. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,402) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I am no cruise expect, but the one and only time I was on a cruise (about 1.5 years ago), this was FAR from being the case.

Also, OP, as others have said I'm pretty sure replacing the 1 bottle of wine per person with one 750/bomber of beer is allowed. The can trick seems to be a good one two, 12 pack of Mountain Dew and replace those green cans with some SN Pale Ale. I haven't tried it, but it seems like as good an option as any and I know many people have done it. When I went, I took a case of water, and replaced two of the bottles with bottles full of Vodka.

GreenBayBA and lambpasty like this.
  22. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (480) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Disney Cruise Lines allows booze up to a certain bottle size, but when I went, they didn't even check. I just had a handle of Old Forrester, but could've brought in more, no doubt.

Rodosman and Sludgeman like this.
  23. zac16125

Society Trader

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

24. cfh64

cfh64 Zealot (556) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Trader

Cruised about 10 years ago. Brought on a 2 6 packs of local bottled "root beer". I emptied the root beer out before hand, refilled with whiskey and recapped them using a home brew capper and caps (easy to do and both can be picked up inexpensively at the local home brew store). You'll spend less on materials than a glass of whiskey. Obviously if you get brown "root beer" bottles you can fill it with whatever liquor you want.

Some old bag gave us a hard time for a little while because she clearly couldn't read and/or understand that root beer is nonalcoholic. Eventually they let us through and my wife proceeded to vomit the entire time while I drank a 12 pack of whiskey to myself.

*Apologies for never directly addressing your question directly related to beer but something to consider if you want to save money

25. maximum12

Society Trader

Well, glad to hear no horror stories. And hey, Carnival says they'll "confiscate & hold" the beer until the end of the cruise if it's identified, so no loss either way. I wonder if they'd check a twelve year old's backpack... :astonished:

26. robwestcott

robwestcott Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2008 Indiana

indeed. brining liquor is awesome. it adds sodium, but still.

27. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Sarcasm, right? Alcohol on cruises is notoriously expensive, unless you think $5 bottles of Coors Light are cheap. Also, the majority of entertainment on cruise ships is included in the price of the cruise itself. Really the only thing you pay for out of pocket once on board is specialty dining, excursions and alcohol.

28. ChicagoGuy

ChicagoGuy Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 Illinois

This is the most awful thing I've ever read. I'm appalled and disgusted. I mean, come on...Budweiser? What's wrong with you, man?!

29. Bearshawks85

Bearshawks85 Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2014 Illinois

30. boothbeer

boothbeer Aspirant (272) Jul 19, 2009 Illinois

Went on a cruise with some buddies about 3 years ago. A bucket of light beer is 5 beers and about $25-30. We all brought on the bottle of wine to bring to dinner each night. If I remember, there was a corking fee though. Still cheaper than buying their alcohol. We also brought our own booze. I put vodka in a clear rum runner flask. Buy on Amazon. Packed between clothes. They either don't show up on the scans or the people did not care. Also, empty a bottle of mouthwash that has the white container that you cant see through. Clean it very good or what you put in will taste like mint. You could get a nice bottle of beer in that pretty easily.
    Buy beer at the ports during the day. Then come back on ship and drink your own booze.

31. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Far out, maaaaaan!

[​IMG]

32. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Defender (658) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin

And I knew we'd get into that awful stuff soon enough.

I used the plastic flasks for liquor mentioned above for an Alaskan cruise and ended up bringing some back so quantity wasn't an issue. I did check out the prices for liquor bottles at the ship's store and they were actually quite reasonable, I'd probably just buy from there if I went on another cruise.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  33. oldsyd

oldsyd Initiate (166) Oct 27, 2006 Iowa
    Trader

About ten years ago we bought a "Bon Voyage" bottle of rum and had it pre-delivered to our room. The price was cheaper than what I could get on shore and it was a legitimately acquired bottle. We also brought a sixer of crappy Polar cans and watched them get X-Rayed and handed to us. Oh, and don't forget to attend the art auction and guzzle free champagne while watching people battle it out over velvet Elvis'.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  34. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Most cruise lines sell a "beverage package" that for a flat fee per day, you can drink all you want (with some exclusions, typically for very high priced beverages or souvenir beverages and the like).

And, by "all you want", I mean more than you SHOULD want, unless you want to spend the entire cruise in a drunken stupor. Carnival's package, for example, costs ~$50 per day, maximum of 15 drinks per day (and if you use your 15 drink quota, their web site seems to say that not only will you not get any more under you package, they won't sell you any more on a per drink basis, either). Beers more than $10 each are not included.

BTW, this tells you that they do have at least SOME beers that cost more than $10 a pop.

Bearshawks85 likes this.
  35. zac16125

Society Trader

The liquor bottles for sale on the ship on Duty Free, thats why they are so cheap. BUT, you are not allowed to drink them on the cruise. You purchase them, and they tag them for you and you pick them up after you dock at your final destination. Its a custom's thing I think. The actual price per drink of regular drinks and beers was pretty damn expensive the one time I was on a cruise.

36. Jaywalsh20

Jaywalsh20 Defender (656) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I had to convince the TSA to let me bring my speedway stout on board. I did have the mindset that they won't know its beer, since you are allowed to bring a bottle of wine on board. It was a hassle, but I was able to bring it on. If your cruising out of Florida they have CCB Invasion and Florida Cracker. Kind of hard to find on the ship too. Good luck though!

GreenBayBA likes this.
  37. GetTheYayo

GetTheYayo Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Lol what? Alcohol is one of the main revenue generators on a cruise ship. You'll pay a high price for drinks, and on top of that the last Carnival cruise I went on (2012) they added a 15% gratuity to EACH DRINK. Cruises are really an unfriendly environment for the beer connoisseur, as they generally cater to the BMC and hard booze crowd. You can try to sneak something on, I've heard success stories but also horror stories. IMO you're better off going to an all-inclusive resort. It's cheaper, you're not confined to a boat for 70% of the trip, and you can drink whatever the hell you want. Just my two cents.

CMLinder and TongoRad like this.
  38. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,359) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

And you're sure you actually went on a cruise? I'm thinking you never left your couch and only thought you went on a cruise.

GreenBayBA, Dan_K, augustwest and 4 others like this.
  39. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 California

Slightly off topic but I just saw a post on my Instagram about a cigar city and Coronado brewing carnival cruise. What if you got lucky and ended up on that one!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.