Brooklyn Brewery Launches Brooklyn Pilsner

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by M-Fox24, May 9, 2022.

1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,402) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

[​IMG]

---

BROOKLYN, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Global craft beer innovator Brooklyn Brewery is growing its core portfolio of flavorful craft beers by reinforcing its reach into the premium lager category with the launch of the new Brooklyn Pilsner – a crisp, bright and refreshing new lager that’s inspired by Brooklyn, and brewed for all.

Available in a 6pk of 12 oz cans and via draft, Brooklyn Pilsner (5% ABV) is a bright golden, premium lager that layers clean malts with a balanced wave of bright hops, crowned by an instantly refreshing finish. It offers light toasty flavors and spicy, subtle citrus hop notes, and pairs well with everything from soft pretzels, hot dogs, grilled shrimp tacos or spicy green papaya salad to joyful noise and spontaneous adventures.

“Our new Brooklyn Pilsner is a classic golden lager based on American pilsners of the early 1900s and modern pilsners of northern Germany. It's relatively light-bodied with floral hop aroma, a refreshing snap of bitterness and a quick clean finish,” describes Brewmaster Garrett Oliver, “This one is brighter, fresher and more drinkable than the original. It fits our current lifestyle, which is all about great flavor combined with drinkability. This is a beer that will be right at home at a barbecue, on a fishing boat, at the beach, or at a football game.”

Brooklyn Pilsner exemplifies the authentic spirit and creativity of Brooklyn Brewery’s home borough. The design concept - which features that instantly recognizable yellow-cab color palette with graffiti-esque accents of water towers, music notes and more - was designed by the creative minds at Thirst Craft to celebrate the Brewery’s fun-loving ethos and to disrupt mainstream shelves around the world.

Miles Moser, Vice President of Sales explains, “We are incredibly proud of our brewing team’s ability to make some of the best lager beers in the world, especially Pilsners - which craft beer consumers want to see a lot more of right now. And while our original Brooklyn Pilsner was outstanding and always a fan favorite, our newly reformulated version is even better. The re-branded Brooklyn Pilsner is delicious and refreshing, and we’re excited to bring this new beer to market in time for the summer!”

Brooklyn Pilsner will sit alongside other award-winning beers in the Brooklyn Brewery portfolio, including leading premium craft Brooklyn Lager, its powerful IPA line-up with The Stonewall Inn IPA, Pulp Art Hazy IPA, Pulp Art Hazy Double IPA, among others, as well as the fast-growing non-alcoholic Special Effects brand, and other favorites, such as Summer Ale and Bel Air Sour.

---

Links:
    Brooklyn Brewery Launches Brooklyn Pilsner | Business Wire
    Brooklyn Pilsner | Brooklyn Brewery

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,429) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

3. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (395) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I enjoyed the original Brooklyn Pilsner and was sad to see it disappear. I will definitely try this, as I am always down for a new Pilsner (one of my favorite styles).

And on a related note Brooklyn Brewery has a decent lineup and I am sad to see many of their beers disappearing from around me and even the Lager is vanishing from shelves unfortunately.

4. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,726) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Hmm, you think?
    - The remastered Boston Lager - "Made brighter and easier drinking"
    - The new Brooklyn Pilsner - “This one is brighter, fresher and more drinkable."
    :wink:

AlcahueteJ and Jaycase like this.
  5. JackHorzempa

Society

[​IMG]

6. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,726) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

@JackHorzempa , Brooklyn added "fresher" to the BBC list... but does it need to be explicitly stated that their new pilsner will be fresher than an old one? :wink:

7. cid71

cid71 Initiate (141) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

well theres a craze now for craft pilsners but i think the old standby craft pilsners need a reason to be in the press again. They probably didnt tweak it very much, just trying to create word on the street. Prima Pils tweaked their recipe not that long ago i believe and dont think it was dramatic although a prima expert may have a different take . Im surprised some of the other larger breweries dont get more in on this like Sierra could relauch Summerfest and New Beligum had Blue Paddle i believe. But i think Sierra backed off cause the sales just weren't there. Guess we just want our pilsners in 4 packs and premium priced.

AlcahueteJ and jonphisher like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

Society

[​IMG]

9. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, here's the thing...

I used to be a BIG fan of Prima Pils before it was 'reformulated'. There was an article where Ron Barchet (former co-owner of Victory) detailed his motivation for making a change:

“Barchet noticed that he wasn’t able to drink the same quantity of Prima as he used to—by the third beer, his palate felt a little tired. He and the brewing team decided that dropping the beer’s bitterness level ever so slightly—from 50 bitterness units to about 45—might do the trick. Victory’s brewers also changed their process to incorporate Prima’s hops at a different point in the brewing process—almost entirely in the hopback rather than the brew kettle—which gives the beer more hop aroma with less hop bitterness.

“We’re really happy with how it came out. It’s a little more of a modern take based on where taste buds are and where the market is,” Barchet says. “We felt that if Prima was going to carry on, we need to get it a little more modern.”

And:

“I don’t think people will necessarily be able to pick out the change,” he says. “I hope they just think ‘Wow, this is a good batch. This is a Prima batch I really like."

https://thetakeout.com/how-often-do-breweries-change-a-beer-recipe-1833330451

In a past NBS thread I discussed the new and improved (?) Prima Pils and below is a copy of my overall impression:

"Overall:

This beer is pretty good. I really enjoyed the balance of bready Pilsner Malt and spicy/herbal hop flavors. The body is lighter than my memory of the ‘old’ Prima Pils.

Now, the million dollar question: is this version ‘better’ than the previous version? While I enjoyed the aroma/flavor of this new version I found the ‘lightening’ of the body to be a step backwards.

To use an analogy of the sub-style of Session IPA, this beer ‘feels’ like a Session Pilsner to me. I am personally not a fan of the Session IPA sub-style since those beers are too watery for my preference/palate."

I have made a personal choice to no longer buy Prima Pils because for my palate this change was a 'step backwards'. If I had never had the 'old' Prima and all that I ever knew was the 'new' Prima would I have a more favorable view about this brand? Beats me!?!

There are plenty of other high quality Pilsners available in my area so I choose to purchase those beers instead. The locally brewed Pilsner that I drink the most is Sterling Pig Shoats Pilsner but there are many others that I could (and on occasion do) buy. Victory has lost my patronage as regards Prima.

Just one man's opinion.

Cheers!

10. ESHBG

The Prima tweak was pretty dramatic for us regular drinkers but it seems to me as if they have shifted it back a bit, as it's been hoppier lately (thankfully, as that is what made that beer really shine). Unfortunately it's another one disappearing from many of my local shelves, though.

The Dry-Hopped version is out right now and earlier than last year, I will be picking up a pack soon: https://victorybeer.com/beers/dry-hopped-prima-pils/

hillind, BrewsOverHoes and Spade like this.
  11. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (552) Feb 2, 2015 New York

I was a fan of the earlier Brooklyn Pilsner. It had a bigger malt body than many competitors, and that made it a favorite for me. I'll definitely look for the reincarnation. I didn't have the stamina to do an intensive survey of the Pilsner market looking for a replacement. For the time being, I've settled for LIDL German Perlenbacher Pilsner and LIDL Czech Lager (aka Argus 12 Majestic). They're inexpensive, to my taste satisfying, and available near me.

Redrover and SunDevilBeer like this.
  12. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (134) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

I agree, they dumbed it down. Brooklyn Pilsner was good as it was no need to change it.

jesskidden likes this.
  13. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,426) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Gee, that sounds familiar. Where did I read something similar? Oh, yeah. The Wall Street Journal, 2006.

BBThunderbolt, AlcahueteJ and steveh like this.
  14. Providence

Providence Crusader (790) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

I feel the same. Brooklyn Lager is a go-to when there aren’t many options. Heck, even when there are options I’m reaching for it (like when I’m at the Scurvy Dog).

ESHBG likes this.
  15. cid71

cid71 Initiate (141) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Seems like frequent Prima drinkers thought change was dramatic so there goes my theory. I too liked the old Brooklyn but at the same time can't remember last time I bought it. With so many choices I think most brands see some kind of decline and being a business the brewers figure they have to try something I wonder if there are figures on craft pilsner sales , got to be right?

AlfromPA and Providence like this.
  16. ESHBG

I've read that it's a growing segment but personally when I see one getting added or goes year round e.g. Troegs Sunshine Pilsner I see a long-timer get the axe e.g. SN Summerfest.

And I'm still bitter (pun intended) about SF considering they replaced that great seasonal with new mediocre session IPAs.

17. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (180) Nov 8, 2009 New York

“One key to Budweiser's popularity is that it produces no "palate fatigue" after several drinks. The bitterness in stronger beers tends to build up, causing a drinker to tire of the taste. Bud's appeal is what people in the industry call "drinkability."”

Real question-Just curious who among us drinks more than three of the same beer in a sitting. Not talking AALs (like the “drinkability” of a bud as mentioned above) or a situation at a bar or party where there’s only one decent beer available. Tbf I rarely have more than three beers in an day anymore anyways but I honestly can’t remember the last time, whether it be home or hanging with a fellow beer geek, that I had three of the same beer in one session.

PapaGoose03 and Squire like this.
  18. JackHorzempa

Society

Why not start a poll/thread asking this question?

When I was a kid my father (and all of my friends' fathers) would just drink one brand of beer and if they drank multiple beers it was just that one brand (my father drank Piels Real Draft). In today's craft beer scene it seems that just having a 'regular' brand is passé.

Cheers!

PapaGoose03, Squire and SaltofOH like this.
  19. moodenba

Mr. Busch didn't consult me. With the prospect of another Budweiser, I never would have thought "I want the next beer!"

20. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,735) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Unless you're passing a Bud.

21. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,205) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I’ve always drank a lot of prima and I still do @cid71 so your theory is not out the window with me :beers:

22. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,735) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Whether this Pilsner is the "new, new" or the "same old" I would gladly buy it.

23. moodenba

I used to in the 70s, but my excuse was that real variety was a bit limited. Does an evening of Brown Derby, Padre, Regal Select (all General) count as three in a string? Now I usually stop with one or two, so undefined.

24. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (134) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

That was true when I became of age in the early 70's. Rheingold, Schaefer and Ballantine were the big sellers. I drank Rheingold until that went belly up around 76. Drank mostly Bud after that until craft came along,

Squire and JackHorzempa like this.
  25. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (180) Nov 8, 2009 New York

[​IMG]

JackHorzempa likes this.
  26. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (498) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Prima was my jam... I went through many kegs and cans of it, being my favorite pils... But the "tweak" Victory did to it did lessen my love for it, on top of NE Ohio distro tanking for that particular UPC (basically near impossible to find Prima these days, but I can find 5,000 monkey variants of course!). Prima lost a bit of character I loved so much and almost seems more 'harsh' to me, even though I believe the tweak was to do the opposite. Perhaps the hopping changes, or something.

Thankfully, Troegs has plenty of Sunshine Pils available around me...I preferred Prima in the past, but I think the tables have turned for sure. I was blown away this past December when at Troeg's in Hershey and enjoyed a glass of it in the taproom... It blew me away. The cans have consistently done so, as well.

hillind, ESHBG and JackHorzempa like this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, for The Dude pretty much everything was exhausting.

Except for maybe bowling?

[​IMG]

BruChef and ESHBG like this.
  28. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,772) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

This is of interest to me. Brooklyn has only been in my market for a short time, so I've never tried any previous pilsners from them. Yet I trust Brooklyn to make something I'll enjoy without making it overwhelmingly dry or hoppy. I find that there are plenty of solid pilsners in my area. Yet very few are available in affordable 6-packs and in non-specialty stores. This (hopefully) scratches that itch.

29. hillind

hillind Aspirant (286) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I love the dry hopped version

ESHBG likes this.
  30. JackHorzempa

Society

The Dry Hopped version out now uses the following hops: Motueka, Vic Secret, Galaxy.

How would you describe the aroma/flavor of this beer?

Cheers!

@ESHBG

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  31. ESHBG

I had a can of this year's batch recently. I enjoyed it but it's a little more Ale-like to me than the typical Lager characteristics. Still good and very drinkable and the aroma/taste is exactly like described so they definitely nailed it in that category (Stone Fruit, citrus). Soft mouth feel, very strong head. Lower carbonation (which may have added to the softer mouth feel).

AlcahueteJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  32. hillind

hillind Aspirant (286) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I’m usually a sucker for the Southern Hemisphere hops. Much more familiar with them in IPAs, but I enjoyed the fruity characteristics they lended to Prima. It’s nothing over the top, just really well done in my opinion. The mouthfeel is where this beer really shines though, super smooth. I did not get much hop aroma however that would lead me to believe it was all that different from standard Prima. I bought 2 4 packs, and will probably grab one more.

ESHBG, AlcahueteJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  33. ESHBG

hillind likes this.