Bruery 2014 RS/HS Allocations

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by F2brewers, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 California

2. Xul

Xul Champion (820) May 18, 2008 California

Griffon Brux wasn't an HS-exclusive beer, it was originally intended as an RS beer for late 2012, got pushed back into early 2013, and they realized they didn't have enough to guarantee every HS and RS member a bottle so they sold it on a first-come, first-served basis to HS and RS members.

mdfb79 likes this.
  3. HopsintheSack

Yeah wasn't sure if it was HS exclusive, just remember HS got full allotment and the scraps went to RS. I wish it would come back.

4. Xul

Yeah, that was a point of contention on the forums since they were advertising it as an RS beer right up until December 31st 2012, then turned around a few weeks later and said they didn't have enough to guarantee everyone a bottle. To their credit, they learned from it and haven't repeated the mistake and have been more careful about what they use to advertise.

I wouldn't be surprised if a re-release was one of the mystery beers, it was pretty damn popular and people were clamoring for more. And if it's not a mystery beer this year, it should be next year. Or just rebrew it as a normal allocation. Either way, more Griffon Brux.

KROQnK9s, APreacher and HopsintheSack like this.
  5. DrinkNoH2O

DrinkNoH2O Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2009 California

Anyone else pretty excited for Atomic Kangarue? I have a feeling this could be the sleeper hit of the year.

6. DougOLis

DougOLis Initiate (91) Aug 15, 2008 California

I would have preferred it to be a little less hoppy, a little more tart and a little more juicy. I'm curious as to what time will do with it though.

Justinsosmart, Speedoguy and SUBER like this.
  7. DrinkNoH2O

DrinkNoH2O Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2009 California

Looking forward to tasting it. Forgot about the member night last night.

The nice thing about your comment is that in time, the hops will fade and the tartness will evolve.

8. Speedoguy

Speedoguy Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2013 California

I agree, I think time will help this beer become more balanced. its very hop forward at the moment. its still a good beer, but with time the hops will fall off a bit, and it will become much better.

9. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (288) Oct 20, 2006 California

I think considering that cherry oude tart is a yearly release, the loss of griffon brux is not a huge deal (though I wouldnt be surprised if it was a mystery beer this year). It is basically the same as OTC but with a different ratio of their sour brown base beers if I remember correctly from a conversation that I had with a bruery employee when brux came out.

10. HopsintheSack

Funny how they can be so different. I actually don't really care for OTC, but love Griffon. Two different animals.

11. StGabe

StGabe Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2009 California

I love both OT:C and Griffon Brux, but I prefer Griffon. It has a bit more depth and complexity to it. I drank my bottle a long time ago but every time I get some at an event or something I'm impressed. I'd be very happy to get another chance at it if they can brew a batch as good as the first.

12. MikeT77

MikeT77 Initiate (159) Jul 2, 2010 New York

Any word on Mash and Mash & Coconut?

Assuming any infection issues, Mash should be ok since there's no adjuncts added. The Mash & Coconut on the other hand has the Coconut. Wasn't the Coconut the likely source of the infection of Cacaonut?

13. Xul

Yes, directly from their Cleaning the Slate blog post:
    I was hoping someone would ask about those last night, but no one has chimed in to the Society Member Monday thread on the topic. Also curious if anyone asked about renewal timeline.

14. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Devotee (489) Jan 7, 2013 California

Why would they? Patrick was pouring beers and calming the masses. Why waste time rocking the boat asking questions of importance on issues that may not be all that pleasant?

15. riko

riko Initiate (124) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

It's obviously premature to assume either beer is infected, but a beer without any adjuncts added can still become infected.

16. Xul

Because it's a good opportunity to get information straight from the horse's mouth. It doesn't have to be adversarial or putting someone on the spot (be it Patrick, Matt, or whoever else), just a simple "Hey, the calendar showed Mash and Mash & Coconut for this month - any update on those beers?" If he gives a canned answer, so be it.

17. Speedoguy

Speedoguy Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2013 California

I didnt ask, because frankly, it doesn't bother me at all if its late. I wouldn't open the bottle within a few months of receiving it anyway.

That said, if its infected, I would be bothered. But until they are ready to tell us whats up, I'll be fine not knowing.

After tasting the allocations last night, this month is going to be more expensive than expected anyway.

Scottie_A25 likes this.
  18. MikeT77

19. MikeT77

@PMR & @mattolesh Any particular reason Mash & Coconut became Mash & Grind?

20. Saxmusik45

Saxmusik45 Initiate (199) Nov 18, 2011 California

Honestly, I don't think this really disappoints me at all. Mash & Grind was one of my favorites from last year. I was almost disappointed it was going to be coconut, since I'm pretty "meh" on coconut.
    It's pretty crazy that that puts 7 beers on the calendar for September, though.

21. PMR

PMR Initiate (135) Mar 31, 2005 California

Hi Mike & All-- We did a last minute change after experimenting with a single barrel of Mash & Coconut. While the results are delicious, we aren't confident we can scale it up and not have any issues. We tried alternatives (various coconut extracts and flavorings) and couldn't find anything that made us happy. We'll be making a draft only, Tasting Room only batch of Mash & Coconut. Mash & Grind is one of my favorites, and it's quite a bit less risky.

We are planning some experiments on how we can use these delicious adjuncts in a more reliable way.

Cheers,
    Patrick
    The Bruery

2beerdogs, MikeT77, TNeedles and 16 others like this.
  22. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (385) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Jesus. Seven beers next month. My wallet is bleeding already.

ILikeGoodCider likes this.
  23. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Zealot (500) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Disappointed to hear that we'll lose Mash & Coconut, but glad it was pulled before any major issues arose.

CaptainFleeker likes this.
  24. kscaldef

kscaldef Meyvn (1,189) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

Eh... I might order two of them. I don't like any of the repeats enough to pay Bruery prices and deal with shipping from my trustee. Can't stand pumpkin beers. So that just leaves ToDw/C&V and Mystery Beer #1.

25. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Initiate (144) Mar 3, 2011 Maryland

I was bummed that I only bought one Mash & Grind last year because it was so good. I am very happy with the update.

JulianC likes this.
  26. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Devotee (489) Jan 7, 2013 California

My sarcasm went over your head.

27. Xul

There are people here who would say that in total seriousness so I was trying to guess whether you were being sarcastic. Obviously I guessed incorrectly.

28. RaulMatisse

RaulMatisse Initiate (92) Jan 8, 2010 California
    Trader

pour me up a double cup o' purp

29. Xul

Thanks for the update, bummer about M&C but M&G is a welcome return. Do you have any info you can share about the timeline for HS and/or RS renewals? With 4 beers this month and 7 on the slate for next month, it would be helpful to know when we'll need to fit renewals into our beer budgets.

Buck86 likes this.
  30. rossthefireman

rossthefireman Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2008 California

Good to hear that M&G will make a return. That was one of my favorites last year!

31. drewone

drewone Poo-Bah (1,586) Sep 18, 2006 California
    Society

Damn, I guess I'll have to get out the French press.

Ruderaven52 likes this.
  32. the_trystero

the_trystero Disciple (355) Mar 19, 2013 California
    Trader

I yawned when I read Mash & Coconut for this year, but now I'm fucking stoked as all get out that Mash & Grind is back.

33. ubiq3000

ubiq3000 Initiate (166) Dec 6, 2013 California

I'd prefer 'indentured servant.'

34. JulianC

JulianC Aspirant (222) Mar 9, 2012 Illinois

I was expecting 7 Swans-a-Swimming in Dec? Are they not doing the Christmas beers anymore?

35. Xul

It's not an allocated beer, just a normal release, so it doesn't show up on that schedule.

JulianC likes this.
  36. MikeT77

@PMR - thanks for the response. Makes perfect sense. Just a little disappointed, since I'm an RS member in NY, that I won't get to try Mash & Coconut and I love coconut so much! But I'm happy to get to try Mash & Grind. I'm a first year RS member, so I didn't get to try it last year.

Scottie_A25 likes this.
  37. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (569) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

I can't imagine what a coffee barleywine would taste like, but i'm interested in trying. hope they have it on when bottles are on sale

38. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (672) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I had a bottle last year. It was good. Really, really good. I struggled whether to drink fresh or age it. I like barleywines with 12-18 months on them but hate when coffee beers fade to fast. Opted to drink it fresh and am glad I did.

mhksuccess likes this.
  39. Rocket80

Rocket80 Initiate (114) Nov 18, 2011 California

Can anyone confirm that they still have the 4 latest allocation beers on tap? Looks like folks were still checking into them yesterday on untappd, but who knows, could be late check-ins from the Monday event.

40. KANE3

KANE3 Initiate (172) Jul 31, 2012 California
    Trader

I'm sure the allocated beers will stay on for at least a few weeks. (for rs and hs)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.