Bruery 2016 RS/HS Allocations

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by OCJeff, Dec 15, 2015.

?

Are you a new member, or are you a returning 2015 Soceity Member?

1. New 2016 Reserve Society Member

2. Returning 2015 Reserve Society Member

3. New 2016 Hoarders Society Member

4. Returning 2016 Hoarders Society Member

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDMII

RDMII Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

The beers aren't always released at the same time every year. As they've said a thousand times in all their literature, 'the beer tells us when it's ready'.

Tgilly and BruerJoel like this.
  2. DMaCATO

DMaCATO Initiate (158) Dec 19, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

OMG, no kidding?!? That is why I didn't ask if it was always released in X month... simply if it was even a yearly offering...

3. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Zealot (538) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

If anyone hasn't read the email yet they have a beer that's going to be at the Terreux event called "Shart of Darkness", a blend of So Happens It's Tuesday and Tart of Darkness.

I just laughed out loud in the office and one of my bosses came in to see what was so funny.

4. grze

grze Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Nevada

Was Melange #13 announced/released already?

5. benbking

benbking Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

yes I just came by to comment on Shart of Darkness as well.

kbenson likes this.
  6. RDMII

Nice attitude guy, I figured that if you had a clue though you'd know it's a yearly release. All it takes is a 5 second google search.

7. infectedstouts

infectedstouts Initiate (68) Dec 7, 2015 California
    Trader

Hopefully that "subject to minor changes" puts hottenroth with grilled peaches back to being available to all. Dangle the carrot in front of my face last week just to take it away.

8. Miruguy

Miruguy Initiate (164) Nov 22, 2010 California

I did the same. That list looks great - it's events like these that keep me coming back for more.

BruerJoel likes this.
  9. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (678) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

If only the event didn't fall on the same day as Hamilton's second saturday (other half, cellarmaker, and sara) as well as Festival of Dankness.

#californiaproblems

10. BruerJoel

BruerJoel Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2015 California

We skipped #13 - unlucky number ;-) - and moved right along into #14 and now #15.

11. grze

grze Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Nevada

Ha! Thanks for clarifying. I was going through my earlier notes about including bottles and reached out to society customer service earlier today. So if anyone is interested in the update - we're also not getting Melange #13 (now I know why) or Melange #15 as included in the membership bottles. But we are getting these two instead:
    - Hoarders Cuvee
    - Hoarders Terreux Cuvee

One last thing I'm not sure of is that in my notes I had 8 Maids-a-Milking™ as an included bottle, while the email I got stated its Barrel Aged version. I certainly will not complain about that! :slight_smile:

PBRandJ likes this.
  12. RDMII

It will be BA. Society included beers are always BA.

grze likes this.
  13. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (244) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

i know of a handful of people that are burned out on just paying so much to ship their bruery beers east and are going to be dropping their memberships this year. . I know it would take a ton of stress off the society if they did a centrally based pickup location on the east coast once every quarter, as well as get more folks out that way more interested in joining. I actually proposed this idea to the bruery probably 5-6 months ago but they werent down.

skiking70 and ivegot3Dvision like this.
  14. ernh

ernh Aspirant (201) Jun 10, 2012 California

I think the 3 Tier and other draconian booze laws in our great country would make it hard for them. My guess is that they can't get anywhere near to touching transport out of CA. If they went to a distributor, the distributor would have the rights on who they sell to, I don't think Bruery could dictate that certain bottles had to go to certain people (and even if they did, someone would have to pick up the bill for the person handling the handouts - the RS/HS discount is more or less the profit margin a distributor would get).

It would probably have to be a person unrelated to the Bruery who took over as trustee for many many people... and at that volume they'd probably be breaking a law or two.

The best idea I can think of is Bruery offering to share a list of members (who waive privacy) within X miles of a major city with people on that list. Then those groups could pool together to ship (or roadtrip) everyone's beer.

15. scs

scs Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2013 California

opening a new location is probably a lot more work than filling those spots when people drop out.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  16. ernh

Random terminology question: how would you articulate the difference between an "Old Ale" and an "English Barleywine" (especially if the barleywine has been aged)?

17. tokimedo

Trader

There would be no sales. It would all be done like usual through the bruery website, just on the checkout you would choose "east cost pickup" and that would formulate onto a list of only those orders that choose that. Then once the weekend per quarter is announced, as well as location, if you were interested in coming and getting your bottles, you would email and let them know (just like you do now) that you would be picking your stuff up and on which date. This would work well in DC, as the laws are very very lenient. Bruery could literally hand off the already purchased beers to a DC based distributor, and the distributor would handle the orders just like the society fulfillment does now. no money would change hands between the third party distributor handling the packing and the RS/HS member picking up.

not what im suggesting, at all.. im suggesting they do a centrally located pickup from a warehouse by a third party company (like a distributor). DC would work well, cause everyone from NE area could drive down, and everyone south could come up.

18. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Would the freight cost plus a service fee for whoever facilitates the transfer be significantly cheaper than what it costs now?

I would have to save some serious cash to justify driving to D.C.

19. SDReaper

Trader

And if there were any screw ups on bottles that were sent out or if they ran out during a cellar sale and had to replace and gave options, like they did with Rum BT last year.

They would need additional stock in a separate location. While I think it would be very helpful for those that chose the wrong coast (teehee) the problems that could arise would make solving those problems a tad more difficult.

tokimedo likes this.
  20. SammyJaxxxx

Really what I would prefer is if they could ship direct to NJ.

21. tokimedo

Trader

tbh if youre ordering enough, id say yes. it was all just a brainstorm and an idea because a lot of people have been telling me they are cancelling their membership due to either fuck ups at society or they are just tired of paying shipping twice over on each box, or even just having someone pickup for them and ship across country. I wanted to offer them an opportunity to not only take some stress off society, but also give people on the east coast easier access to their beers without having to spend an arm and a leg on shipping.

22. tokimedo

Trader

it would def need to be discussed heavily and all logisitics worked out far in advance, including procedure if shit hits the fan and things get screwed up. again, this was all just a brainstorming idea.

ernh likes this.
  23. Coldstorage

Coldstorage Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 California

If I was paying $100 a case to ship my bruery hauls across country (which seams high based on my fedex bills but it was a # thrown out there by someone ITT) I would probably just save the money, fly out 1or 2 times a year and do a one way truck rental. Put the word out to other Bruery members in your state and offer to pick up their cases for $20ea (yes, illegal....) and you can probably cover your gas money right there. See some country. Stop at some other breweries. Know your beers are safe @55 degrees until you grab them.

SammyJaxxxx and tokimedo like this.
  24. tokimedo

Trader

now thats thinking outside of the box right there lol

25. SDReaper

Trader

Shit, if I enjoyed driving I would almost do it. Pickup here, drive to the east coast and fly back. Would be fun visiting....just not so much getting there. =P

26. Coldstorage

Coldstorage Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 California

You'd probably just head to Mexico to start fresh with nothing but a stolen box truck and enough sugar mud to give an elephant a deadly case of type II diabetes....

27. SDReaper

Trader

And at least 60lbs of adobada with 4 tacos in hand. Priorities.

bootneck, vurt, grze and 1 other person like this.
  28. SammyJaxxxx

That sounds like the plot for Smokey and the Bandit 4.

I'm saying Matthew McConaghy as the Bandit, John Goodman as Sheriff, Tammin Sursok in the Sally Field role and T.J. Miller in the Jerry Reed role.

skiking70, randjuke and OCJeff like this.
  29. Justinsosmart

Justinsosmart Initiate (0) May 14, 2013 California

I could imagine folks on the other side of the country would quit RS because of the shipping, but as long as RS sells out every year with a list of people joining PS "hoping" they get into RS next year, then the Bruery has no reason to open an east coast distribution center.

For the guy paying $100 a box get a local guy to pickup, it's a bit cheaper shipping one time instead of twice :slight_smile:

grze, TNeedles and Xul like this.
  30. Xul

Xul Champion (812) May 18, 2008 California
    Trader

Precisely. They've got a system where the members do all of the work for them on getting beer out of state, why would they even consider changing that unless they absolutely need to?

Considering the rate at which similar breweries are opening in other parts of the country, filling the void that caused out-of-staters to justify the shipping expense, the Bruery has to understand they're going to face decaying membership numbers from out of state and re-focus on maintaining a local/regional base with a small percentage of hardcore long distance fans. The fact that they're doing more and more events throughout the year is a sign that they're already on top of that and with two tasting rooms to work with, I'd expect to see that trend accelerate.

Attempting their own pseudo-distribution method to the other coast - without the benefit of the scale that normal distribution provides - would not only be foolish on the surface, it would be downright hilarious in the face of increasing competition. I've obviously questioned many of their choices in execution over the past few years, but their business model and choices in market positioning have been excellent up to this point. I wouldn't expect them to screw that aspect of their business up now. If changes in legislation ever allowed them to ship to other states, I'm sure they'd jump all over that, but until then, they'll continue to let members do the work for them, even if it means the geographic average of their member base contracts.

rrryanc, SDReaper, grze and 1 other person like this.
  31. tommyguz

tommyguz Meyvn (1,001) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I split a membership 3 ways. It was originally 2 but a 3rd and actually sometimes a 4th friend chooses to order beers from our membership (when things are 4 limit or we don't max) I think in the end it adds about $3.50 to each beer when we get a 12 shipper sent, sometimes less if it doesn't get reweighed. So I could see people who do the memberships themselves having the shipping get expensive, but for us it works because of how we split it.

We also don't max out on every single offering and even sometimes split stuff to try, so I imagine we are buying less than most members but still getting a decent amount

AndrewSmith, gibgink and marcus23 like this.
  32. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Aspirant (220) Feb 9, 2009 Canada (MB)
    Trader

Wait...what? Is this serious? That is, we get two bottles each of 13 and 15 with our HS membership, so how does that effect things? Do we get two bottles and 14 and 15 then? So I shouldn't have bought as much 14 as I thought given this then?

Edit: Just saw the post about no 13/15 included but HS cuvee instead. Might want to send that info. out as a seperate email as I had no clue and didn't buy any 15 because of it on this last order.

HopsintheSack likes this.
  33. pnutbutr

pnutbutr Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2013 New Jersey

I probably should look into this, but I've always thought of shipping it to my buddy as the easiest way. From what I understand, it's customary to send compensation back to the locals, which ends up costing as much (or more) and requires me going out to go buy more local stuff (which I already mentioned is annoying to procure).

What I don't understand is why the 3-tier system applies to breweries in Cali, but not the wineries. I have no issues whatsoever getting wineries to send juice to my house when the mailing lists come out, but beer is such a pain.

Anyone know any lobbyists lol? It's unfortunate (for me) that there is really no incentive for anyone living in California to dedicate time and focus to getting the laws adjusted to include direct sales and shipment of beer.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  34. pnutbutr

pnutbutr Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2013 New Jersey

Also one time I sent an (almost) empty 12-bottle shipper to someone who picked up some bottles at the brewery for me and it ended up costing me over $40. "Dimensional weight" is killer.

35. benbking

benbking Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

Yes I've been fantasizing about an East Coast Bruery location for a few years now. I split my RS membership with someone just for the shipping costs. However I'm not actually expecting them to come to the East Coast. I'm lucky that my connection in California is a member and goes to pick up his own allotments. I just send him empty shippers direct from Uhaul and the customary thank you boxes.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  36. ernh

Actually, I think you're right about needing a lobbyist :slight_smile:

My understanding is that since small craft beer is still relatively new to the market, meaning a couple decades, the macro beer, wine, and hard alcohol people had a long time to push policy securing their position and making it tough for new entrants.

37. gibgink

gibgink Champion (872) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

There is the legality reason why the Bruery cannot ship directly out of state, but would it be possible for them to ship directly to a retailer if they have distribution in that state? That way a member could pay to have their allotment sent to one of their local retailers.

38. SDReaper

Trader

Pretty sure @RDMII already tried this with his store.

39. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (159) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Trader

Why should the Bruery cater to out of state society members? It makes minimal business sense on their part. How many out of state society members are there that would actually show up to pick stuff up? My guess is less than 50 and that seems like a ton of work to make some people happy.

m34josh and mukesmemehouse like this.
  40. tommyguz

tommyguz Meyvn (1,001) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Because we are entitled and want things done for us as cheap and easy as possible.

Screw shipping out of state or an East Coaat location. I won't be happy until they hand deliver it to my door free of charge with flowers and a thank you card.

Edit: obviously joking , have no problem how it's set up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.