Bruery 2019 RS/HS Allocations

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by fegelFatso, Dec 30, 2018.

1. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Devotee (455) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Have only done EBF in Boston and back quite awhile. Think the last time was in 2013...great time but all told, I love the Bruery party.

2. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Initiate (166) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Did a lot of breweries backed out?
    Cerebral, Cloudwater, Finback, Horus, Monkish, SARA, Side Project, Voodoo, Weldwerks to name a few .....

3. yokels

yokels Initiate (56) Sep 5, 2015 California
    Trader

4. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Initiate (166) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Nvm, I didn't know the beer list posted in previous page was last years. Should of known after reading so many Etain variants.

5. LGHT

LGHT Devotee (494) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Society Trader

Got my tix and excited about this one. The list of breweries seems great. Anyone have an idea on how early to arrive? I don't want to show up and wait in line 30 min to get in and miss that 30 of beer tasting...

6. 562Brew

562Brew Initiate (59) Mar 5, 2018 California
    Trader

You check in ahead of time so the line moved really quickly last year.

LGHT likes this.
  7. boogercrack

boogercrack Initiate (181) May 24, 2012 Texas

lol acier as an included bottle.

8. InfiniteJester23

InfiniteJester23 Initiate (95) Apr 26, 2017 California
    Trader

Yea? Been on the beer list since before the year started?

As time goes on, solera method beers get more and more expensive in terms of both storage costs and new barrel purchases, in addition to getting more difficult to blend. I for one am perfectly happy for the beers to be included, if the other option (as Patrick suggested last year) is to discontinue one of my favorite annual releases!

9. stealth

stealth Zealot (530) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

No surprise there, it was listed on the included bottles list we received, and we've had the anniv beer as an included bottle previous years, if I recall.

Did anyone go to the bruery dinner event at Playground last night?

irthesteve likes this.
  10. Miruguy

Miruguy Initiate (157) Nov 22, 2010 California

Not sure what i am supposed to be lol'ing?

11. Buck86

Buck86 Initiate (138) Aug 8, 2011 California
    Trader

Anyone know when the last day to buy tickets for the party is? I fucked up last year and they took them off the allocation page before I could get the crew to commit.

12. ernh

ernh Initiate (155) Jun 10, 2012 California

No "included" receipt for CR, which I think confirms the "amped up" version will indeed be a different release.

13. 562Brew

562Brew Initiate (59) Mar 5, 2018 California
    Trader

Some of the pricing has me scratching my head, but also makes it easy to pass, so in that sense, it's not a big deal.

14. brewaddict

brewaddict Aspirant (257) Nov 25, 2015 California
    Trader

Has anyone tried banana bread? And do you know if it's supposed to go to distro?

15. StrangerBrews

StrangerBrews Initiate (123) Oct 27, 2015 California
    Trader

Caved and bought 2 cans of CR... $42 with discount for two, so ounce fr ounce its a slightly better value than the bottle.

fegelFatso likes this.
  16. boogercrack

with the caveat that i can't cap off a can and drink over two days, like i usually do with a 750ml.

17. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (243) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

I like the versatility of cans, that's for sure.. But for those that have their bottles shipped, might be better for them. Though usps priority boxes are ideal for cans.

Pricing is spot on with Modern Times, BA stouts at 16.25 per 12oz can.

Looking forward to trying Bakery: Banana bread. 10% ABV, $7 can - nice price point.

fegelFatso and mayorQuimby like this.
  18. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Devotee (455) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Society Trader

At first I was disappointed with the mass utilization of cans, due to the impact it would have on my out of state shipping needs. I've found though, when I come out there in person, I can fit a shitload of cans in my checked bag compared to bottles, and makes the need for huge shipping costs substantially less overall. For members who never make the trip, I'd see it as a downside. I end up being that way though for work ~1-2x a year and make the trip for the Anniversary party as well, so it has ended up being a big benefit for me.

19. stealth

I too enjoy the cans. Regarding shipping...being able to double stack cans in 12-bottle wine shippers, as well as lodging them in the gaps of the shipping foam allows me to ship a fuckload more beer with one box - liking that a lot :slight_smile:

20. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (319) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Agreed. 375ml is really the ideal serving for the BT beers because I can have ~6oz pour, cap it, and then have a second 6oz pour 1-2 days later. I know I sound picky, but cans for fresh beers and 375 for high abv. For me at least, the sours are the most likely ones for me to buy 750 of since you can cap and save them easily, and I don't really care about undercarbed/ flatness in sours, usually.

Why is that LOL? The anniversary beers are everything the Bruery stands for. It's actually the perfect beer for the "I'm glad there's no allocations because I already have too many beers to drink" people because an Old Ale like that is ideal for aging. If you don't like the character and layers of the anniversary beers, than I can't believe you are in a Society. I sometimes understand the "sticking people with unsellable beers" argument, even though I don't usually agree they are doing that, but this is not even close. C'mon, man.

21. stealth

Anyone know if this is a new batch of Macaroons in allocations, or the same August 2018 cans that have been sitting in general sales for months?

fegelFatso likes this.
  22. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (838) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

Tried Birdie Birdie tonight for the first time. For me this hits all the right notes in trying combine a saison and a pilsner. Its a nice collaboration with Green Cheek. Definitely worth a try if you like both styles.

23. boogercrack

Im a hoarders member. I can go to any of the three grocery stores by me right now and buy the last three anni beers at my leisure. Often times at clearance prices that are cheaper than my pre shipping HS price. Why would I want that as an included beer and have to pay for shipping and thank you beers? I understand it was known before the year started. It just seems like filler to use as an included beer.

mukesmemehouse and m34josh like this.
  24. johnInLA

Society

I'll join the list of the people very happy to have it included. I look forward to the anniversary beer every year and always buy multiple bottles. Every bottle they include that I would have bought anyway, saves me money and makes my membership more valuable.

Of course we all like different beers. I'm sure some of the included beers you like, are beers that I would consider filler. Which I define as beers that I would not buy from my allocations. BTW: That doesn't imply I don't enjoy them. It's more a symptom of having to much beer in the cellar.​

#904 johnInLA, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  25. InfiniteJester23

InfiniteJester23 Initiate (95) Apr 26, 2017 California
    Trader

1. Unless something has changed, anniversary beers are member shipping / tasting room only from this point on. So you won't actually be able to get this one at your local grocer!

2. What do we want out of included beers? Some people want beers that they would buy some anyways, so that the cost of the membership is defraying the costs of the beers they want. Some want really out there and unique beers that they might not buy otherwise, to give them an excuse to try them. I think those are both valid views, and am personally happy that they seem to split the difference between these two approaches. What do you want from the included beers?

3. If it's really a big deal to pay shipping on this single additional bottle of beer, just make it one of the thank you beers. Problem solved?

26. Thenomad512

Thenomad512 Initiate (40) Mar 19, 2019 California
    Trader

I don't think I've seen a grocery store nearby that carries anything from the Bruery and I live relatively close to the brewery. Last time I was at Mr. K's I think they had some previous years sitting but I don't think they were cheaper than discount.

[​IMG]

fegelFatso likes this.
  27. johnInLA

Society

To be fair, I have seen the anniversary beer in years past in Costco, selling at a discount's equal to a member discount. I don't doubt @boogercrack 's claim. The truth is the anniversary beer is loved by some, but the price point and unusual nature of the beer, combined with it not being a hazy IPA or a pastry stout, is likely to make it a failure in many markets.

28. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (129) Jun 23, 2013 California

Hazys suck! Now Pastry Stouts on the other hand... YUM!!!

29. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Zealot (533) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

I get your point since it's a beer that has been consistently released every year. I do enjoy the anniversary beers (I have a 100% BA vert going) and am happy to get one included. It's rarely one that I buy a lot of though, so having one included is nice.

I would like to see the barrel treatments for the anniversary beer like they did with Bois/Sucre. Those were fun and very enjoyable.

30. ernh

ernh Initiate (155) Jun 10, 2012 California

Totally agree. The used barrels were fun, though I thought the different oak variants were meh.

If they did Anniversary aged in used BT barrels, and vice versa, do you think different flavors would come through? That could be fun. Sort of like a more subtle Melange.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  31. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Zealot (533) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

I really enjoyed the new French oak Bois, that was phenomenal. Also, the rum, port, and Madeira Sucres were fantastic. The red wine Etain was fun and different and tasted great as well.

Uncommon barrel treatments like chestnut, cedar, maple, or hickory would be interesting to try.

fegelFatso and Prince_Casual like this.
  32. PBRandJ

PBRandJ Initiate (102) Jul 18, 2016 California
    Trader

Was a huge fan of the small batch Bulletproof Etain last year. The bulletproof treatment of the anniversary beer as an annual thing would be great.

33. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (243) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Oh yeah, bulletproof etain was excellent!

PBRandJ likes this.
  34. johnInLA

Society

I'll jump in and add the "Etain Augies Peruvian Coffee" that was pouring at last year's anniversary party.

I thought that one was very good.

fegelFatso, Thenomad512 and PBRandJ like this.
  35. bigdaddypolite

bigdaddypolite Disciple (380) Mar 2, 2007 Minnesota

Both Bulletproof Etain and the recent Mash and Maple Grind have been outstanding. I hope they continue to do treatments of anniversary/Mash which incorporate coffee, as they are 2 for 2. I thought both of these were a step up from regular Mash & Grind.

juji23 and PBRandJ like this.
  36. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (385) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Possibly for you, but how many States have ABV caps or don't see full Bruery distro? GA gets 1/10th of Bruery's distro beer, but nothing over 14%. I have to buy it online, no choice, so knowing I'm getting one without having to buy it makes my life easier.

37. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (319) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Even if there is some grocery store near you who keeps buying the anniversary beers and despite not being able to sell them, and keeps putting them on clearance, which sounds like a personal problem, or more like a personal win for you...

I fail to see how getting one additional bee in the anniversary beer lineage, which won't be available in distro for anyone, and is a world class solera style 100% BA Old Ale, is some how worthy of laughing out loud. Different strokes I suppose.

I'll send you a label if you are just going to throw it out :sunglasses:

38. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (426) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

For all there is to laugh at the Bruery for, the anniversary beer is consistently fantastic. Give me a guaranteed banger over some new experimental 20% dessert mimicking beer that half the people would hate anyway.

39. SHODriver

SHODriver Poo-Bah (1,934) Aug 13, 2010 North Carolina

Fair point. I couldn't even tell you what the ABV cap is in NC if they have one. The only beer I've purchased for off site consumption after moving here was a six pack of Yuengling tallboys. Otherwise I've been drinking down the cellar.

I will confess to being an idiot and joining Barrel Culture's club this year though.

40. stealth

Y'all got any of those tier rewards updates? :grinning: