Bruery 2019 RS/HS Allocations

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by fegelFatso, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (243) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Have not had '19 sourrento, but I loved previous batches. I still have a few of them.

I didn't like that bottle fresh. Could not finish it, honestly. Glad to hear it's balances out now.

2. ernh

ernh Initiate (155) Jun 10, 2012 California

Does anyone know which winery/farm they sourced the grapes for Elizabeth Rutherford from?

3. mukesmemehouse

mukesmemehouse Initiate (41) Jan 5, 2016 California

What’s the sourrento price?

4. Yabu

Trader

Mash & Maple Grind - growler fills for $19? hmmm, hoping I can visit tomorrow. I need more.

5. Thenomad512

Thenomad512 Initiate (40) Mar 19, 2019 California
    Trader

15/can. 50/4 pack before discounts.

6. ernh

ernh Initiate (155) Jun 10, 2012 California

Curious for Gray Monday opinions:

I just shared in a 2018 bottle (about nine months old). It was delicious, but I couldn't really taste any hazelnut (nor could the others sharing it). It was very mellow compared to regular BT at this age, and it maybe had a little more texture that maybe comes from the nut fats?

Previously I had only tried on tap in TR: 14 vintage served late 16. I had the same opinion then.

If price were equal I'd easily pick it over regular BT for body and mellowness... But flavor wouldn't effect my decision, and the extra $10 per bottle is not remotely warranted.

Thoughts? Does the hazelnut fade earlier than nine months? Is my palette insufficient?

zeile33 likes this.
  7. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Initiate (166) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

I personally think this batch of Sourrento was a bit water down in vanilla. 1st batch was the best. #batch1wasbetter

8. IKR

IKR Defender (626) May 25, 2010 California
    Trader

I reviewed the beer in 2014 and two lines in that review respond to your question:
    1. To me the biggest impact the hazelnuts have is in subduing the alcohol that's present in fresh black Tuesday
    2. The hazel nuts improve the mouth-feel and subdue the alcohol compared to the base Black Tuesday.
    That's just my $.02. I found the hazelnut presence very slight flavorwise.
    Cheers

9. Swiveln

Swiveln Disciple (336) May 24, 2012 California
    Society Trader

New email out regarding anniversary party. Im liking the steel cups like last year!

fegelFatso, AyeDogg and albertq17 like this.
  10. elemenohpee1

elemenohpee1 Aspirant (228) Oct 29, 2014 California
    Trader

Any beer list yet?

11. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (838) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

"Here's a sneak peek at this year's pour list. We will be releasing the final pour list next week.
    • Fudge Brownie So Happens It's Tuesday
    • White Chocolate Shake
    • Rum Raisin Acier
    • Heath Bar Acier
    • Peanut Butter Cup Stout
    • Cup of Cocoa Stout"

12. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (129) Jun 23, 2013 California

Here’s hoping it’s not a bajillion degrees! Or at least they also have a bunch of bruesicles!

Frosty11161 likes this.
  13. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (270) Oct 20, 2006 California

There has been an ongoing joke since batch one that the most hazelnut in Grey Monday is in the wax. But now I’m not sure if they actually add hazelnut oil to the wax anymore.

superball9, Scottie_A25 and ernh like this.
  14. ScottWoerner

ScottWoerner Initiate (71) Jan 5, 2017 California

If anyone has an extra ticket, HS preferred, reach out.

15. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (319) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

New beers from The Bruery
    New Beers This Week

Pretty generous definition of "new" in the email today... at first I thought this was maybe not a society email, but it references CR at the bottom so I think it is society only. None of these are new, at all. Icky Thump has been in allocations for almost a month? A bunch of these are going out for distribution. I don't get it.

16. Thenomad512

Trader

Wait, there was one sent out today?

Prince_Casual likes this.
  17. ReedWill

ReedWill Initiate (31) Nov 16, 2016 California
    Trader

Hey all! I’m looking for 2-3 tickets to the Anniversary party this year. I have two close buddy’s who are HS and RS but my HS friend is out of town for the party this year and my RS friend is using his plus one. Any chance anyone can spare a couple? I’d pay Cost obviously and throw in some thank you beers!

18. ReedWill

ReedWill Initiate (31) Nov 16, 2016 California
    Trader

I went last year and had a great time despite the heat haha

19. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Devotee (444) May 19, 2011 California
    Trader

I just cross my heart and blah-blah, that I'm going not to waste my valuable beer time waiting 30-45 minutes in line for cold arse mediocre grub.

20. elemenohpee1

elemenohpee1 Aspirant (228) Oct 29, 2014 California
    Trader

So it was a good thing i skipped the food last year? The line was so long every time I looked at it that I just passed each time.

21. juji23

juji23 Initiate (50) Mar 15, 2015 California
    Trader

Last email I got was yesterday and it was about “anniversary tickets and news.”

Thenomad512 likes this.
  22. stealth

stealth Zealot (530) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

Same here. Last two years I just ate a good breakfast then ate after the party. Rather drink all those tasty beers...

fegelFatso likes this.
  23. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (319) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

@Thenomad512

Maybe I am getting different emails because I'm set up for DC?

This is what I got, had big images of the beers that I deleted but you get the drift. It's not that big of a deal it just seems like, ya know, it's not new beer, it's the exact same beer.

New beers from The Bruery
    [​IMG]
    Store Hours | Merchandise | Blog
    New Beers This Week

Icky Thump - In December 2018, we flew to Chicago to hang with the crew at Mikerphone Brewing and brew Icky Thump, a massive imperial stout with California-based Portola Coffee. But the plan was never to let the Midwest have all the fun. That's why we brewed the same beer here at The Bruery in Orange County. Our version of Icky Thump is a silky, creamy, coffee bomb of a beer, brewed with coffee from Chicago-based Tugboat Coffee.

Bakery: Banana Bread - Tuck into in this rich imperial stout inspired by the warm aromatic flavors of banana nut bread. This full-bodied, blended imperial stout is treated with walnuts and banana to give it that unmistakable nutty banana bread sweetness.

Wit The Funk - We make Wit The Funk with tradition in mind. Brewed with orange peel and coriander and fermented with wit yeast, brettanomyces, and our Terreux house mixed culture. Aged in oak foeders until final maturation, the result is a complex beer that's tart, funky, oaky, citrusy, and super drinkable. Sure, it takes longer, but WTF? It's worth it.
    Shop Allocations

Chocolate Rain
    Chocolate Rain began as a single cask of beer at our very first release event for Black Tuesday back in 2009. Now this beer sings and stands on its own. Chocolate Rain will age gracefully if cellared properly, but the notes of chocolate and vanilla will be the most pronounced when consumed fresh. Available in your allocations.
    BUY NOW

Acier
    Acier is French for "steel," the eleven-year anniversary gift and this bourbon barrel-aged ale carries on the tradition. Made using the solera method, which blends a portion of all the prior years; productions, it gains layers and complexity with each vintage. Celebrate notes of toffee, dark fruit, vanilla and oak. Available in your allocations.

Thenomad512 likes this.
  24. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Devotee (455) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I've never been overly impressed with the food...that said, it has its place from my perspective. We're usually hitting a point 1/2 way through where a slowdown from 10-20% ABV samples and some shade is needed. Typically we've taken turns running out from the food line to snag more samples and usually, we make some new line friends as well (got some HS pours last year based on that connection).

Thenomad512 likes this.
  25. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (838) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

Yup, similar plan here. Good breakfast, then hit the food toward the end of the event, when kegs start kicking, but before the food runs out. By then there is virtually no line.

My main focus is the beer.

LGHT, Prince_Casual and Thenomad512 like this.
  26. Miruguy

Miruguy Initiate (157) Nov 22, 2010 California

Another decent (HS) strategy is to go big that first hour and then head for the food as they start letting the riff raff in. Hopefully, they'll listen to all of the complaints about the food and step it up this year. I miss the days when they served Beachwood at the event.

27. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Zealot (533) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

That's exactly what I do. I go big the first hour then pick and choose what I want until it's over. Food I usually hit after the big rush, about the time I'm tired of drinking and want to sober up.

28. NDogg44

NDogg44 Initiate (123) Oct 21, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Did anyone else get an email from www.gonift.com stating that you had a gift from the Bruery?

29. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (385) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Just came in here to ask that too....I got one but there's nothing available in any zipcode I enter. Sooo, this must be the 'hit the mark' gift they have been figuring out but still haven't nailed it down yet. Mine says:

"This year, The Bruery Store has decided to join Nift, a network that helps us support other local businesses in the DMV.

As a thank you, here is a Nift card with which you can experience another local business in your neighborhood.

Just click on “Get Your Gift” and enjoy!

Again, thank you for being a part of the The Bruery Store family!

(Please note, you will have the opportunity to select a gift to a new business, this is not a gift to The Bruery Store)"

Oh well.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  30. InfiniteJester23

InfiniteJester23 Initiate (95) Apr 26, 2017 California
    Trader

Ah, just what we needed: another third-party website to manage in connection with our account!

31. pmoney2311

pmoney2311 Initiate (28) Mar 5, 2011 Maryland

The Nift email is for those local to Washington, DC (DMV = DC, Maryland, Virginia). I followed the prompts and put in my zip code. The offer is a $15, emailed gift card to a specific business (like a restaurant or bar) in the area.

Speaking of the DC area. Anybody around here going to make it out to the Downtown Crown tap takeover the Bruery Store is having? It'll be nice to get to taste our allocation, society exclusive beers, locally, on tap. Albeit at the end of the month, after I've already bought the beers I'm going to try.

skiking70 likes this.
  32. Thenomad512

Trader

You're probably right. The Nift email shared sounds suspicious.

Did they use URGE Gastropub last year too? I skipped eating (big mistake) because from my fuzzy memories from the year before the food was not good at all. Shame as there is no shortage of killer food trucks in the area. Regardless, I am stoked for this!

33. JRGVII

JRGVII Initiate (68) Oct 26, 2015 Texas

Anyone happen to know what brand the tumbler is this year? Last years was Miir and I absolutely love it, wondering if it’s the same or not

34. Yabu

Trader

Yes, they used urge gastropub last year. IIRC the street tacos were pretty good. I had a big breakfast before coming, so I wasn't in line when the line was maxed. I think I was in line for maybe 40mins. While my wife was in line for food, I would grab a pour . So it wasn't really an issue.

Food trucks would be nice, for sure. But with the current setup, not sure if that's logistically feasible.

Thenomad512 likes this.
  35. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (385) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Good to know this, but kind of stupid to only offer a gift card in a specific geographic area. I get it for people in DC, but not everyone lives in either DC or the OC. Surely there's a better solution than making me drive to DC to redeem a gift card at a place I've never been to. Gas alone to DC is 5x the value of the gift card.

zeile33 likes this.
  36. thetastywort

thetastywort Initiate (122) Jun 2, 2011 California
    Trader

hehe....hehe...:sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

ernh likes this.
  37. thetastywort

Trader

Does no one use the ISO:FT: section for beer fest tickets anymore?

38. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (147) Oct 29, 2013 California

Probably in either 15 or 16 they did have food trucks along with beachwood. The food trucks were additional charges though.

Thenomad512 likes this.
  39. LGHT

LGHT Devotee (494) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Society Trader

this will be my first year attending the
    Do they have water stations or water available anywhere? I can drink all day as long as I have water while i'm drinking. Not sure what you are allowed to bring in, but if they don't have water available I would like to bring a few bottles if possible.

40. thetastywort

Trader

Yes, but more importantly, they added a ton of port-o-potties last year and even that line could get long. Drinking so much beer and water has me sometimes running to those stalls! LOL

LGHT likes this.