Bruery Floyd D'Rue and Rue D'Floyd

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Grant35, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuschLeagueOC

BuschLeagueOC Initiate (149) Apr 23, 2014 California

Have you ever seen Deep Blue Sea? I think the Bruery has created some sort of out-of-control monster lacto-shark.

2. BDEE

BDEE Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2012 Wisconsin

I don't know if ANYONE on this thread has ACTUALLY TASTED one, but I did tonight, and it was a mighty fine drop.

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2012 Iowa

Hi BAers
    What is everyone paying for the rue d Floyd had a guy I know pick me up at a bottle, straight from fff and he charged me 25 for it and threw in a sixer of alpha king which I assumed was an extra because of the mass amounts of brew I GIVE him. Was I over charged?

4. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,990) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

The FFF release of Rue D'Floyd I believe was $30. The Bruery version was $20.

5. MasterPenguins

MasterPenguins Disciple (310) May 16, 2014 Indiana

Correct, I paid $30 for a bottle directly from FFF.

So you definitely got a deal there.

6. Beerly-Departed

Beerly-Departed Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2013 Florida

I had the Bruery version at a share and it was damn good. To me, the coffee was the flavor which tied it all together. I traded for a FFF version but have not received yet. It will interesting to compare as I didn't know the FFF version doesn't have coffee added.

7. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,444) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I was thinking the same thing...

8. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,444) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

The Rue D'Floyd is a great beer. I found the Floyd D'Rue interesting, but did not buy bottles. But I made a point od buying bottleSSSS of the former.:slight_smile:

9. treznor

treznor Zealot (558) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

Damn, thank you! I swear I taste lacto in almost everything I've had from Duck Rabbit (not that I have their stuff all that much. I've mentioned it to most of my drinking buddies and none of them ever got the taste. I thought I was going crazy! It isn't all that strong, but its a pretty recognizable taste even at a fairly low level.

RDMII likes this.
  10. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Disciple (307) May 13, 2014 California
    Trader

Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, but I just bought some FdR from the Bruery website as a PS member.

All the descriptions say I should like it. I'll drink one, and age another. :slight_smile:

I like rolling the dice.

11. TheElbow

TheElbow Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 California

Has anyone risked keeping the Bruery's version of either beer out of the fridge for, say a month, before opening it, to see if the infection actually progresses?

12. BeastLU

BeastLU Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2012 Virginia

Just traded for the FFF version. It has no back label, I find that strange, no government warning or anything. Are all the bottles like this?

13. MasterPenguins

That is exactly how mine was. I thought the same thing.

14. pnutbutr

pnutbutr Initiate (59) Jan 4, 2013 New Jersey

Most of their special barrel release stuff just has some silkscreening and paintpen on it, no?

Ericksne likes this.
  15. Phobicsquirrel

Phobicsquirrel Zealot (508) Oct 1, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

I was wondering that too. I guess after July or so we may know if it'll be safe to put in the cellar, but then again who knows what those bugs may do.

16. fire34fighter

fire34fighter Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2013 Virginia

Getting one of each in a trade along with a white chocolate...Praying for no infection.

17. WilliamHuggins

WilliamHuggins Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2014 California

Anyone know how this is tasting as of now? Any off flavors/smells develop because of the lacto?

18. ChrisMQ

ChrisMQ Initiate (199) Jun 30, 2010 New York

had it about 2 weeks ago and it was great--no off putting sourness at all

ToadiesForCody likes this.
  19. TrojanHopHead

TrojanHopHead Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 California

I bought mine in early July from a bottle shop that was storing it at room temp. Drank it two weeks ago and it was great. I was very concerned before hand, though

20. BuschLeagueOC

BuschLeagueOC Initiate (149) Apr 23, 2014 California

I had RdF a few weeks ago and it was just as good as when it was first released (stored at ~40 F).

Unfortunately, FdR is still just as bad as it was.

1up likes this.
  21. RobinLee

RobinLee Zealot (552) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

A redditor pointed out that the 3F bottled versions were fine, just the Bruery's experienced infection. Out of curiosity, did both breweries bottle? I thought they just did it all at the Bruery.

22. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (539) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Both bottled.

RobinLee likes this.
  23. 1up

1up Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2013 District of Columbia

I had the RdF recently and it was unbelievably good still. One of the best stouts I've ever had and I've had a lot of them.

24. pnutbutr

pnutbutr Initiate (59) Jan 4, 2013 New Jersey

I've had many bottles of FdR sitting in my cellar since release... never refrigerated.

Not a single one tasted remotely tart or infected in any way. The opinions on this beer are mixed (I happen to like it a lot), but the infection issue is not a problem.

MarkyMOD likes this.
  25. Metllica97

Metllica97 Initiate (146) Apr 27, 2014 Illinois

Pretty crazy that the 3 Floyds version of Floyd D'Rue just sold out today, after being available for over two months...

26. MasterPenguins

One of the days I was at the FFF Brewpub, after Floyd d'Rue had already been out for a month, I asked about the quantity of Fd'R vs Rd'F. They told me that the yield for Rd'F was about 500-600 bottles, whereas the yield for Fd'R was around 6000 bottles. They wouldn't say why there was such a vast difference in yield, but this is part of the reason that Fd'R lasted for what seems like forever. That, and it wasn't that great :grinning:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.