Bruery Preservation Society - Q1 2014

Discussion in 'US - West' started by Rotero24, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rotero24

Rotero24 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2013 California

Looks like Chocolate Rain is part of the next upcoming preservation society package. Does this mean that Chocolate Rain isn't a RS/HS member only beer?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Xul

Xul Champion (858) May 18, 2008 California
    Trader

The reasonably obvious answer would be "yes," although I'm assuming that there won't be any public sales a la Black Tuesday. I'm sure some RS members will complain about it being marked as an "HS/RS exclusive beer" but then sold to the PS, but I'm neither surprised, nor disappointed. I would expect Grey Monday to eventually follow that pattern as well.

Also, that label for Tripel Tonnellerie is sexy as hell, I'd love to see more labels like that.

vurt likes this.
  3. Crawfordesquire

Crawfordesquire Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2011 North Carolina

Its the only way they can move the other 2

4. DougOLis

DougOLis Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2008 California

Is Tumescence the essence of Tums?

luwak and sportstsar like this.
  5. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Zealot (505) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Bingo!

6. Xul

Trader

Christ, cynical much? Saison Tonnellerie was rather well received last year and do we even know what Tumescence is yet?

7. Crawfordesquire

I was not really shitting on those beers, but to me the preservation society is for those who dont want to jump into the deep end of the bruery with their sours and other beers, but are familiar with BT, CR etc. thus to draw in those hesistant, they must throw in BT, CR etc.
    I hope those beers are great, i will be trying them later in the year.

8. Crawfordesquire

If bruery gave the option for preservation society of buying all 3 as a package or a la carte, would they sell the same amount of all three beers? This is the cable company business model for beer.

waston likes this.
  9. Xul

Trader

If saying the beers wouldn't sell without being attached to CR isn't shitting on them, I'd be really curious to see what you'd say if you actually were trying to insult them.

I think the PS is aimed at a few different crowds, but in a more general sense, I think a lot of BAs have a somewhat skewed sense of what non BAs are interested in drinking. Of the Bruery's big beers, Melange #3 is far and away the most popular with people I've shared Bruery beers with (which is also the least hyped), but of those fifteen or so people, all but one prefer beers like White Oak, Saison Rue, Oude Tart, Humulus Lager, etc. Sure, they're curious to try a beer like Chocolate Rain, but it's neither something they want to spend that much on, nor something they can drink with any sort of regularity due to the strength.

Obviously, the beer geek community is what has allowed the Bruery to grow so quickly to such heights and beers like BT and CR have been the crux of that popularity. However, beer geeks have proven themselves to be 1) incredibly fickle and 2) promiscuous in their drinking habits. The Bruery has captured them better than most breweries, but their long-term success is predicated on appealing to more than just beer geeks chasing rarity.

Whenever I go into the tasting room, I'm curious to look around and see what other people are drinking - sure, I can't tell the exact beer, but you can gauge 5oz pours of dark beers vs. full pours, as well as the general demographics. There's always a certain beer geek contingent, but there are usually a lot of groups or couples who are drinking the beers that BAs turn up their nose at. Not every beer sells as well as they hope obviously, but the opinion you'll get from the average beer drinker can be pretty different from the groupthink that forms on BA.

10. Crawfordesquire

Everything you said is just about right, but this bundling method I described below is certainly by design.

11. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,195) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

can i join the preservation society just for this bundle than opt out, or would i have to have started from the begining ( or is this the beginning?)

12. lincolnbeard

lincolnbeard Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2010 California

yes

13. 01001111

01001111 Initiate (0) May 12, 2008 California

Or maybe we were just stupid and waited too long to sign up for the Reserve Society. Good or bad, I'll try most things The Bruery puts out because they're creative and strike a good balance between novelty/variety and quality. I'll take a few misses and contamination hiccups if it means getting world class beers like Sour in the Rye and Oude Tart (and their variations) alongside oddities like Windowsill and 6 Geese A Laying.

SipIt and luwak like this.
  14. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2013 California

If you've missed jumping on RS, you could always find someone else who is an RS member who isn't planning on maxing out their allotment. Not only will they most likely let you jump in on the order, but the combined force may land you in enough spending power that you end up getting invited to Hoarders the following year.

Preservation Society is the perfect cable bundle model at its finest. If the Bruery is nothing else, it's a great marketer of their beer. To get past the gate keeper to get those flagship beers everyone always talks about from them (CR, BT, etc.), having to spend a bit more and try their others, which may or may not sell that great. No jab at the quality of their beer, but it's the same as with stuff like Raiders games when they play the Chargers. You have to buy two other games in order to be able to get those Raider tickets.

Justinsosmart likes this.
  15. Acropora

Acropora Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 California

I agree with you for the most part, but you're missing the fact that the Raiders blow and The Bruery is awesome.

FocusDave, Furlinator, luwak and 4 others like this.
  16. Waldomega

Waldomega Initiate (78) Jan 15, 2013 Nevada

im in it again this year, and i dont max on the majority of the allocations, if anyone wants something. only maxed on grey monday and chocolate rain last year, and wont max on chocolate rain this year. i dont need 8 more of those bottles right now

luwak likes this.
  17. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

there's also the fact that Preservation Society is 54 dollars and Reserve is 300. maybe not everyone is ready to make that kind of commitment. Preservation is a good way to check it out, test the waters

Furlinator likes this.
  18. messanthrope

messanthrope Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2013 California

1. Preservation society is what i direct all recently converted friends that now see rolling rock as pee. Its an easy sell and a way for an average joe to run the gambit on craft beer. A sour here a ba stout there a random collab.... A red barn.... The gambit.

luwak likes this.
  19. Joenajera

Joenajera Initiate (58) Apr 26, 2013 California

I'm in the same boat with my RS this year. I will likely not come close to maxing most bottles. I don't do a lot of shipping, but if someone in Sacramento wants to grab a couple bottles, I could probably do that.
    j

20. SipIt

SipIt Initiate (183) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

Ha, I'm one of those in this boat...

Also, am I confused or is the first quarter allotment Black Tuesday, Rueuze, and Shegoat? I'm pretty sure this is what's awaiting me at the Bruery right now, but I wouldn't complain if the aforementioned allotment was also ready.

21. Xul

Trader

That was Q4 2013's Preservation Society package. If you just joined for Q1 2014, you'll be getting Chocolate Rain, Tripel Tonnellerie, and Tumescence at the end of March/beginning of April.

SipIt likes this.
  22. StonedRaider

StonedRaider Initiate (149) Oct 25, 2007 California
    Trader

If you ordered in December then this allotment is waiting for you. If you ordered in January then you'll have to wait til April for the new one.

SipIt likes this.
  23. SipIt

SipIt Initiate (183) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

Thanks, I wasn't exactly sure how it worked.

24. JayPeso

JayPeso Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2013 California

I receive a "out of allowed quantity" message when I attempt to buy any beers from the bruery website. It only happens when I'm logged into my PS account. Will I be allowed to purchase bottles after 3/1 when I'm charged for the Q1 allotment?

25. mattolesh

mattolesh Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 California

Thanks for joining Preservation Society! That's most likely just an error message. Please contact Society@thebruery so they can straighten out your account for you.

26. nesarebad

nesarebad Zealot (522) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Not exactly, look it up, its worth it.

27. JayPeso

With it appearing that Tripel Tonnellerie may not be a part of the Q1 package, does anyone have a guess as to what they would replace it with? Looking at the RS list for March, would it be possible they would replace it with Filmishmish? Or is it more likely to be something like Saison de Lente?

28. Xul

Trader

Did I miss an announcement from The Bruery?

29. PG2G

PG2G Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2011 California

They sent an email that said they were raising the price and that the third beer has not been decided

Xul likes this.
  30. JohnCassillo

JohnCassillo Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 California

Just joined the Preservation Society for Q1 -- psyched for the Q1 shipment. Just wish that on top of the rumored shipments, maybe some bottled Humulus Lager was in there (not complaining, however).

31. Xul

Trader

Gotcha, must've been a PS-only email because I don't recall seeing anything about Tripel Tonnellerie being delayed in their past few emails. Thanks for the info.

FrogOut69 likes this.
  32. FrogOut69

Trader

I remember last year when PS got more information than RS/HS. Glad it see that continues!

33. TinCup69

TinCup69 Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2012 West Virginia

I can't wait for my first shipment, won't be long now!

It seems I can't purchase of the current beers for sale on the website now getting the message "Out Of Allowed Quantity for purchase". Am I doing something wrong or are they out of all the bottles?

34. JayPeso

Had this same problem myself. See post #25 in this thread for the contact info for fix.

35. TinCup69

TinCup69 Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2012 West Virginia

Just saw it, thanks!

36. JohnCassillo

Definitely interested in Mash & Coconut and So Happens It's Tuesday -- but they're still a while out.

37. FrogOut69

Trader

You're not getting SHIT in PS.

38. JohnCassillo

For some reason read the OP as a RS member talking about not maxing out on allotments. Seems upon further review that's not the case. My fault for misreading.

39. FrogOut69

Trader

Some beers get pushed down to PS, but it's highly unlikely SHIT will due to being a RS only beer and the lower allotments this year. Even CR didn't see extra bottles released to society members this year.

40. Angst

Angst Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2007 California

As a PS member, do you just get the 3 beers per quarter or do you get the opportunity to purchase more bottles?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.