Bruery RS/HS Allocations (2020)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by fegelFatso, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (272) Oct 20, 2006 California

If I were drinking my Bruery beers solo I’d definitely be of the same opinion.

My partner and I usually share half a 750 then stopper it and drink the second half in the next couple days. With 16oz cans we can share the can in one sitting, which is great because honestly we have way too much Bruery beer to be spending two nights on one bottle lol.

dcole, Prince_Casual and superball9 like this.
  2. Space_Cowboy85

Space_Cowboy85 Initiate (50) Dec 24, 2018 Texas
    Trader

Surprisingly, I cannot recall which came first. I do remember thinking the CSB was a bit punny for my taste. The beer was good though so that’s all that mattered.

3. AndrewK

I guess Fuzzy BBLs was really the only other ball joke in the series come to think of it, I don’t really want to entertain the implication of “Black and Blue BBLs”

4. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (177) Jun 23, 2013 California

Buff BBLs?

APCreative_ likes this.
  5. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (226) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

Shaved BBLs?

Like uses lots of citrus rind?

skiking70, superball9 and fegelFatso like this.
  6. AndrewK

I feel like I need to tell all the youngins to gather around the fire so old man AndrewK can tell a story about the olden times of the Beer Advocate Forum.

A long, long time ago a BA created the beer entry for AleSmith Decadence 2007 Imperial Porter (Barrel Aged). Because he had maxed out on characters, he needed to make an edit somewhere. Not knowing that bbl was the proper abbreviation for “barrel” in brewing terms, he instead shorted it to -bal.

Thus began a trend of jokingly referring to BA beers as “bal aged”, particularly among the SoCal contingent. And now you all know the (presumed) origin of the BBLs reference in the Bruery series of beers.

7. bigdaddypolite

bigdaddypolite Disciple (382) Mar 2, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Yay! I love old timer stories (and you have me beat by 5 months, so I’m a relative whipper-snapper).

Can you tell us the one about 110k+OT next? Or do we need to send all the kids to the Cigar City thread to hear that one? :slight_smile:

Cubatobaco likes this.
  8. AndrewK

Oh geez...... I feel that’s a story better told by a Floridian.

9. AndrewK

Now I’m trying to rack my brain for other great old BA Forum stories, how about “Dark Lord isn’t rare”? You might be able to tell that one.

fegelFatso likes this.
  10. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,072) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

hearing about a new bt reserve, is that coming out soon for you guys? any info much appreciated

best batch of CR yet huh? that’s my wife’s favorite beer for years (had batch 1 2 years ago and it held up great!) maybe i’ll try to traded for one

cheers fellas!

Cubatobaco likes this.
  11. chong138

chong138 Initiate (97) Dec 30, 2007 California

How about the story about how if you live within an hour of the Bruery you can get free same day delivery, but if you live 30 minutes farther than that you wait for a week and pay $28?

12. ernh

ernh Aspirant (201) Jun 10, 2012 California

This year's BT Reserve came out in March, and supposedly has sold out, so if you're looking to trade probably ought to act sooner than later. Definitely tasty, and less hot than 2018 was fresh (which seems to be general trend for Bruery last year or so).

johnInLA and KevSal like this.
  13. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Initiate (175) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

The story goes shipping through a private courier costs money, local delivery is complementary. Makes sense doesn’t it?

14. fegelFatso

I agree with this... the line has to be drawn somewhere... asking a Bruery employee to drive 90 minutes in each direction for a complementary delivery is quite a stretch... I’d probably tip more than the $28 just to thank them for going that far. Their range is already insanely wide (all the way to Santa Monica if I last recall)... my only gripe, if it actually applied to me, is the big gaping hole over Carson. But they are honestly doing more than should be expected of them to begin with.

15. mrmsmith

mrmsmith Initiate (113) Apr 22, 2007 District of Columbia

Anybody else catch the sneak previews in the website update email? Looks like Black & Blue & Red BBLS will be the next BBLS series. And Birnesap looks to be pear wheatwine that was scheduled late in the year.

APCreative_, ernh and AyeDogg like this.
  16. dcole

dcole Initiate (23) Aug 26, 2019 California

Agreed. As much as I wish that the Bruery would extend their complimentary delivery to North San Diego county (just over the OC line, guys, c'mon! Lol :wink:) they are already going above and beyond. Although if they ever DO extend Lokal further south, you better believe I will be tipping the driver insanely well for the luxury of same-day service!

Hoppedelic and fegelFatso like this.
  17. SaisonSteve

SaisonSteve Initiate (12) May 1, 2019 California

We're filling in that whole gap next week - stay tuned.

irthesteve and fegelFatso like this.
  18. fegelFatso

Seriously, you folks really are going above and beyond! I hope it’s been fruitful.

19. chong138

I was mainly crying about the price to ship stuff when I only live 1.5 hours away, along with taking a couple days to get it shipped. I've been spoiled by some of the breweries that have more recently started shipping since Covid hit.

fegelFatso likes this.
  20. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Initiate (175) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

I wish I lived that close. I would just pick the beers up myself once a month.

21. dcole

dcole Initiate (23) Aug 26, 2019 California

I used to make that 70 min. drive up to visit the tasting room and fulfillment center every couple months. Then Covid hit and my employer mandated a 14 day quaranteen period if we traveled outside the county, so... been buying a few shippers lately :sunglasses:

22. skiking70

skiking70 Aspirant (241) Sep 23, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

When I first read this i thought you said "if we traveled outside the country", not county. I was like damn you guys are tough on LA, LOL.

23. irthesteve

irthesteve Initiate (195) Mar 7, 2014 California

24. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (297) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

25. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (244) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

26. Frosty11161

Trader

irthesteve likes this.
  27. fegelFatso

Yes. I can remember the original call to Can Bruesicles... I think many of these breweries are in a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” position... can them, put warning labels on it, but still have customers who don’t follow directions and then complain when their cans burst, -or- don’t can them, and get a lot of complaints from people who are upset because their favorite smoothie sour is no longer in cans.

This is why we can’t have nice things in America...

irthesteve, superball9 and skiking70 like this.
  28. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (297) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Well, I disagree with that. We just can't' get them here locally.

There are a bunch of places pumping out these awesome fruited sours. Even got a few packages within these last 2 weeks during the summer. Safe and sound.

29. Xul

Xul Champion (812) May 18, 2008 California
    Trader

Or breweries could package them in a shelf-stable fashion and put the debate to rest entirely. For the Bruery in particular, aren't they already set up to pasteurize? I haven't kept up with their inner workings since dropping out of HS, but I seem to recall they finally invested in pasteurization after a few years of resisting the idea. What's stopping them from integrating pasteurization into the process of producing and packaging Bruesicles?

dmui4031 likes this.
  30. NDogg44

NDogg44 Initiate (114) Oct 21, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Trillium pasteurizes their Daily Serving series (or at least that's what I was told by a Trillium employee) and they still had issues.

fegelFatso likes this.
  31. Frosty11161

Trader

Isn't that also the same brewery (trillium) that would add tequila to beer then say it's tequila barrel aged?

m34josh, skiking70 and fegelFatso like this.
  32. chong138

Drank an Elevage last night. I liked it, but one was enough. I expected it to be sweeter. Kinda tasted like a slightly sour Allagash Curieux.

Also had a Three's Cocompany the night before. That was a slightly sweet coconut bomb. It was a tad creamier than normal Bruery stuff....overall a good beer. A BBA version would be excellent.

dcole, skiking70 and superball9 like this.
  33. Xul

Xul Champion (812) May 18, 2008 California
    Trader

Interesting, I just did a bit of searching on Google and found multiple references to that. I realize that many (if not most) of the breweries that are canning this style are loathe to get into the details of their production and packaging process, but I wonder if there are optimizations to improve shelf stability that they simply haven't explored since they've stuck to the mindset of putting the onus on consumers to keep the cans cold.

34. AndrewK

My fiancée and I opened a 2010 BT tonight to celebrate 10 years together. The nose was initially bitter oxidized roasted malt which was a bit worrisome at first, but the flavor was all creme brûlée with chocolate on the edges and the oxidation showed only as a bit of soy. No major dark fruit notes which I expected. As it opened up the aroma improved a bit, mostly musty bitter cocoa, but the taste was still classic Black Tuesday. Super smooth for BT (warmth that still bites around the edges), all rich melted fudge and caramel. This beer may someday go down hill, but it’s definitely not after ten years.

35. ernh

ernh Aspirant (201) Jun 10, 2012 California

Congrats on ten years!

dcole, ivegot3Dvision and fegelFatso like this.
  36. fegelFatso

Congrats on 10 years Andrew!

37. AndrewK

Thanks guys. We were going to get married but then the pandemic happened. We are in no rush clearly, seeing as it’s already been a decade lol.

superball9, gregoryG, dcole and 3 others like this.
  38. chong138

I feel you. We've been together 7.5 year and were supposed to be married in April. That was obviously ruined, and we rescheduled for next April, but now we are talking about just calling it off, losing some deposits and getting married by ourselves with no guests. In November I will have been engaged for two years.

39. AndrewK

I used to joke that when I finally proposed we would end up being engaged for five years (she looks like Emily Blunt so it was apropos), now I joke that it might actually come true.

40. irthesteve

irthesteve Initiate (195) Mar 7, 2014 California

I must admit, went to the Bruery tasting room over the weekend and noticed a TON of new staff.

Jonl0424 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.