Bruery RS/HS Allocations (2020)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by fegelFatso, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Conneringo

Conneringo Aspirant (222) Nov 28, 2016 Nevada
    Society Trader

1PP on the virtual box makes me a sad panda. Hoarders should get at least a choice for 2. If it doesn't trick down, oh well peasants.

2. infectedstouts

infectedstouts Initiate (76) Dec 7, 2015 California
    Trader

Same. Although Black Tuesday party has had peasants in years past, so I understand. Myself being one of them. A real rags to riches story.

3. irthesteve

irthesteve Aspirant (210) Mar 7, 2014 California

Stopped by the Terreux tasting room yesterday and had some really great tasters. Favorites from yesterday that I haven't had before were Bruesicle DFG, Back to the Basics & Muffin Train

4. dcole

dcole Initiate (30) Aug 26, 2019 California

Awww, gee... I missed that the first time I read my email. Yeah, I definitely wanted more than one Virtual box. :slight_frown:

Oh well, at least now I don't have to worry about extra glassware. :grin:

Conneringo likes this.
  5. dcole

Have now tried all four offerings from the BT box (two of us, over two evenings). My thoughts:

Day 1:
    Sweet Magnolias: This is the one I was least sure about because I didn't care for the banana pastry stout. However, this was really good! The banana was subtle yet present. Nothing artificial tasting. And the beer had a really creamy mouthfeel to it, as well. In all, I was pleasantly surprised by this one and look forward to drinking it again.

Love at Midnight: I was a bit let down by this beer, not because it wasn't good but because I was expecting to get slapped in the face by pineapple, like with last year's Spicy Island. Now, it could have been because we drank this right after drinking Sweet Magnolias so my taste buds were a little off? I did get a lot of coconut and again the creamy mouthfeel. In all, a nice beer. Next time, I will drink it first to see if I get the pineapple notes.

Day2:
    Liberty Stoutwich: this was a winner for me! I was really able to pick out the peanut flour and salt notes, as in PB&J Thursday of years past. Again it had a nice mouthfeel, probably due to the marshmallow. I liked this beer A LOT.

You want a piece of Me?: We drank this last, anticipating that the maple might overpower the Liberty Stoutwich if it went first. The maple here was tasty but not overpowering, and had a definite char / smoke aroma to it. It was thinner than the other three but still very good.

So right now I'd order my favorites as
    Liberty Stoutwich
    Sweet Magnolias
    and a tie between Love at Midnight and You Want a Piece of Me?

I do plan an trying Love at Midnight stand alone next time to see if I taste the pineapple. And maybe let it warm up more before drinking.

6. brewaddict

brewaddict Aspirant (281) Nov 25, 2015 California
    Trader

Yeah, the pineapple was more pronounced in Spicy Island and '17 Hoarders Cuvee. At first I thought that it was the addition of the vanilla. I picture it as a weird combination in my mind. But, there was vanilla in the Cuvee and I thought that was a really good beer.

ECOBOOSTINST and dcole like this.
  7. brewaddict

Trader

Sweet Magnolias.

Again, it benefits from a little warming from fridge cold. A touch on the sweet side. The banana is noticeable, but not overpowering. I can also detect the sugary sweetnesss of the nilla wafers. Smooth and creamy with very little alcohol. I like it better than Midnight. If I had to knock it, the base BT gets lost.

ECOBOOSTINST, dcole and fegelFatso like this.
  8. brewaddict

Trader

Liberty Stoutwich

Nice peanut flavor with a touch of sweetness. Great mouthfeel. It has a bit more peanut flavor than PB&Thursday from what I remember. Can definitely detect the salt component. Not really tasting the marshmallow but it's probably helping with the mouthfeel. Would have liked it a bit more sweet. This one doesn't hide the base as much a Magnolias.

9. dcole

The peanut flavor reminds me of the first time I tried a PB&J Thursday - 2018 vintage, I think? Compared to 2020 where I got no peanut flavor at all - only jelly.

10. mukesmemehouse

mukesmemehouse Initiate (45) Jan 5, 2016 California

Has anyone tried any of the other releases from this month?

11. pdmoore714

pdmoore714 Aspirant (226) Dec 26, 2013 California
    Trader

Getting the hoarder's discount on the Black Tuesday Virtual Release Party Box was a nice surprise - or show's how little I've been buying this year.

12. mrmsmith

mrmsmith Initiate (119) Apr 22, 2007 District of Columbia

$295 total for both BT boxes made me double check to see if I got the discount! Stupid DC taxes.

13. dcole

It was a nice surprise! For whatever reason, I figured we'd have to pay full price, it being the "substitute" for the BT Party and all? Pleasantly surprised!

14. pdmoore714

Trader

...now it's just figuring out when it'll be available. I selected pickup on checkout, which means it's not in my cellar, but it's not available for pickup. Nothing on the site about having to wait or when to expect it'll be ready.

I'm fine with it being closer to the actual Black Tuesday date but would've liked some heads-up that was the plan.

Edit to add this rant triggered by the automated system saying yes, "Your order is ready for pickup",
    but confirming via chat and email that it's not.

iLoveDonuts likes this.
  15. thetastywort

thetastywort Initiate (130) Jun 2, 2011 California
    Trader

Also agree was a nice surprise. I don't think it was so much you not buying this year, but I think I had it in my mind as a festival price that are not discounted. I never had a HUGE problem with the price.....just a little, but that made sense to me once I checked out as to why $100.

dcole and pdmoore714 like this.
  16. brewaddict

Trader

I did receive a shipping notice after I ordered mine. As of right now, it only shows that it has been registered in the system and a tracking number has been generated. I do not see any physical movement of the package.

I hope it did and they deliver tomorrow. Otherwise they will attempt a Saturday delivery and it'll ride around on the truck all weekend.

17. dcole

Last time I ordered it took until almost 8PM PT to register that GSO/GSL had possession of the package. I did receive my shipment the next day.

brewaddict and Hoppedelic like this.
  18. brewaddict

Trader

Yep, looks like it's out for delivery today. My response to PD was mainly to affirm that they appeared to be available since they were supposed to be shipping. Seemed odd that they were being picked up by GSO but were not available for in-person pickup.

19. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (187) Jun 23, 2013 California

Got my BT Party pack today! Not opening it until the virtual party, but happy to have it!

dcole, Conneringo, skiking70 and 3 others like this.
  20. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (458) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

When is the virtual party?

21. fegelFatso

5:30pm on the 27th.

Hoppedelic likes this.
  22. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (922) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Got a box, "probably" won't do the virtual event, love the BT event, would take time off, do the early session, the after party in tbe tasting room, the after after party in the hotel, but not taking a day off for a virtual event and BT the night before I need my A game in the morning is generally a non-starter.

Having said that.
    • Glad they are doing it
    • Have not completely ruled it out
    • 1 10oz can, you are tempting me.
    Either way, I'm really looking forward to the box.

23. pdmoore714

Trader

Yay for delivery? I went by the fulfillment center to pick up a single case cellar request I submitted yesterday (>24 hour notice) and was told it wasn't ready, but could wait 30-45 minutes while they filled it. No mention of the party box. The trustee order I was there to pickup (same > 24 hour notice) wouldn't be ready for a couple days.

Had the feel of the new year where there were a lot of cases up front waiting on pickup. Also looked like they still do the whole sign-a-bunch-paper-as-they-shout-out-bottle-names. Wasn't the no-fuss contact-less pickup I was hoping for.

Gonna price out what it would cost to get stuff delivered 5 miles to me since that seems to be faster.

dcole, skiking70 and fegelFatso like this.
  24. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (498) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

It’s worth it.

25. ernh

ernh Aspirant (204) Jun 10, 2012 California

I was a little disappointed with Love at Midnight. It's fine, but after the pleasant surprise of Spicy Island last year I thought the pineapple fell a little flat. I don't know if there was less pineapple, or if it needed the pepper to strike the right balance, or what. I mean, I guess it's better than having one weird overpowering flavor that ruins it.

You Want A Piece Of Me? is the clear winner for me in this box. It's a little more harsh than the dangerously mellow Maple BT, but the maple and pecan flavors are really rich and flavorful, and it's the right amount of sweet without being overdone.

BTW, anyone try the base BT for this year yet? I have not. Idly curious if it's more or less in line with the last couple years.

Also, curious on initial thoughts for new Partridge release. Assuming it's on par with the batch they did for the box set last year?

dcole, Conneringo and skiking70 like this.
  26. Conneringo

Conneringo Aspirant (222) Nov 28, 2016 Nevada
    Society Trader

Broke open the BT box, here is my opinions:

Liberty Stoutwich - This felt too close to PB&Thursday for me, wasn't overly amazed. There was a subtle heavier mouthfeel with more pronounced vanilla but if you've had PB&T, it was a meh and not sure if it warranted an inclusion in the BT Box.

Love at Midnight - I agree with the review above that the pineapple definitely fell flat compared to Spicy Island. I tasted the coconut as well but both the pineapple and coconut were outshined by the 18% abv and nothing really stood out and all I kept thinking about was opening up a Spicy Island.

You Want a Piece of Me - This was great, an amped up Maple BT with more complexity. This one I kept going back to and got better as it warmed up, my definite 2nd place winner.

Sweet Magnolias - This was fantastic, very surprised how well the flavors came through. I definitely tasted banana and vanilla and there was a nice amount of complexity as this warmed up. Clear winner imo.

27. dcole

Tried this year's base BT last night. I don't know if I was especially tired or what but I felt knocked out after my first couple of sips, lol. Before passing out, though, I do remember it being pretty easy drinking for a BT, just like last year's offering.

28. AlmostDeadly777

AlmostDeadly777 Initiate (54) Apr 29, 2018 California
    Trader

Tried it last weekend and I agree, very drinkable much like 2019, dangerously so.

29. brewaddict

Trader

Piece of Me.

I have to assume that the base of beer is 2020 Maple BT. If so, the pecans really add a prominent nutty and astringent quality to the beer. It's not bad. Just different. I would rate it slightly lower than Maple BT.

Ranking this year's box, I would put Piece of Me first, followed closely by Liberty. I thought Magnolias was a little too sweet and didn't retain enough BT. Last, by quite a bit, is Midnight. All in all, every beer had a quality that was a little off putting. I think as a whole, last years box was better. Going to open up a round from last year to confirm.

30. brewaddict

Trader

31. ernh

ernh Aspirant (204) Jun 10, 2012 California

Interesting that the chocolate churiosity is lower ABV and not BA. Almost like an entirely different beer rather than just churiosity with chocolate?

32. mukesmemehouse

mukesmemehouse Initiate (45) Jan 5, 2016 California

Isn’t there going to be the regular version as well?
    Looking forward to the chocolate one

dcole and infectedstouts like this.
  33. dcole

I hope there will be a regular version again. Looking forward to both!!

skiking70 and fegelFatso like this.
  34. goofyballer

goofyballer Initiate (49) Dec 21, 2016 California

Has no one opened their virtual party box yet? There's 60 ounces of Black Tuesday in there, I admire your guys' ambitions for party night...

The vanilla one was a standout for me. I often find vanilla to be hit or miss in beers, particularly Bruery ones, and here it is a giant giant hit. Loved this.

Port and maple syrup were good, but I didn't find them as noteworthy compared to the similar variants (BT Maple this year which I thought was incredible and better than this one, and port-aged BT which I haven't had in awhile but I remember generally feeling more balanced) done before.

Conneringo, skiking70, ernh and 2 others like this.
  35. dcole

Ha, I had no problem opening my Virtual Party box either!

I also really enjoyed the double-barrel-aged vanilla offering. The maple was good as well but I agree that nothing maple-wise is holding a candle to this year's BT Maple. That is one smooth beer. :slight_smile:

Haven't tried the Port yet, will open one this weekend. I enjoyed the last Port aged BT I had so I'm sure this one will be great, too.

skiking70, goofyballer and superball9 like this.
  36. fegelFatso

I’m saving mine for the party... and saving the second ones for later.

dcole likes this.
  37. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (458) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

I’ve drank a Vanilla barrel and a Port barrel. The Vanilla is one of the best beers I’ve ever had in my life, for real. The Port was also fantastic. I can’t believe how caramelly it is.

38. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Zealot (548) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

If chocolate churriosity is as good as churriosity I'm going to buy more than one can. Hopefully they made a bit more so people don't complain about sleeping on it.