Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Belgium Bruges vs Ghent: I chose Bruges, now help me out...

Discussion in 'Europe' started by atomeyes, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomeyes

atomeyes Jul 13, 2011 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

hey,
    i had to choose 1 city over the other due to limited time. I've been to both before.

I dig the realness of Ghent. Love the city. Bruges is really pretty, but I found it difficult to find good food (without blowing the bank) in Bruges. Bruges had better bar/beer options.

So Bruges it is.

Now...anyone have any food suggestions for Bruges? a friend mention De Hobbit. Doesn't look overly cheap, either.

2. bartjebeergeek

bartjebeergeek Nov 5, 2012 Belgium

cambrinus very good beer restaurant...

3. DougOLis

DougOLis Aug 15, 2008 California

The best meal I had in Bruges was definitely at Eethuis Tete Pressee. Not super cheap but it was a great value for the quality of cooking. It's not in the heart of the touristy area of the city so I'm not sure how hard it is to get to with public transportation if that's what you're relying on. I think they're only open for lunch but they also have this little shop attached where you can buy most of their foods/sauces/cheeses to go.

De Karmeliet is fantastic if you want to break the bank

4. ventura78

ventura78 Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

I've eaten at De Hobbit a number of times, they have good food and are right across the street from the brugge bear. ( the bear makes a good pasta )

You might consider this place

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...Restaurant-Bruges_West_Flanders_Province.html

Its called matinee, I've eaten there at least 20 times. The food is good and the prices are decent. Its located off of wollestraat. Some people didn't review it too well, but I've never had a bad time or meal there.

For lunch cafe vlissinghe is one of my favorites....

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/7945/?view=beerfly

5. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Jun 29, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

If you find yourself on Langestraat most likely at De Kelk/Bierboom there are some good cheap options nearby. You can go west for a middle eastern spot on the corner(forget the name). To the east is Frituur Veggie Eetboetiek Royal which is pretty much only takeaway so obv sit on the bench by the closest windmill. Those are probably some of the cheapest spots in the city. I'm poor and eat there and pick up stuff from the markets when in town. Medard works as well but forget what bars are nearby.

6. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa May 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I understand that malt is very tasty and nutrious.

mrkrispy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe