Bruisin' Ales in Asheville Closing

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by KRubes, Jan 10, 2020.

1. KRubes

KRubes Zealot (525) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Society Trader

2. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (92) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Loved that place. Always run by when I am in asheville. Hope the best for them and will definetly be checking out the online sale!

3. emerge077

emerge077 Poo-Bah (11,077) Apr 16, 2005 Illinois
    Trader

Damn, that's some sad news. :frowning2: Always loved ordering from Bruisin' Ales, before Illinois passed bs laws prohibiting out of state beer retail. Wish them well in their future endeavors.

4. antronnn

antronnn Disciple (350) Aug 2, 2012 South Carolina
    Society Trader

:slight_frown::beers:#pourone

dirtylou likes this.
  5. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (274) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

What other bottle shop eclipsed it and caused it to close?

6. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Aspirant (219) Jul 21, 2013 North Carolina

Tasty Bev. They are a few years old now, their selection isn't immense but they always have all the hype beers, they have a nice little bar with some top notch stuff on tap, and they are located in South Slope walking distance from Burial, Green Man, and Wicked Weed. Hard to beat that.

Appalachian Vintner being the other bottle shop option has a great selection, a bar, and a big wine section. It's not surprising to me that Bruisin' Ales folded.

nas4atu likes this.
  7. taylorshaw

taylorshaw Initiate (16) May 5, 2009 California

Street hobos don't buy Craft Beer. AVL, like so many other US cities, is turning into an urban camp ground. The people that live like this buy drugs, not expensive, good beer. They also create a decline in tourism. The pendulum needs to shift back.

8. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,576) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

When they first opened, they were hands down the best spot in Asheville to craft craft beers. But over the last couple of years I have noticed less and less inventory available when I have stopped in while in Asheville. Sad to see this spot go, they were always friendly/helpful but at least other options remain - Tasty Bev and Appalachian Vintners.

9. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Initiate (146) Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

OK Boomer. Tourism and expensive craft beers are really hurting in Asheville. LOL.

emerge077 likes this.
  10. RKP1967

Kind of a weird first (and only) Beer Advocate forum post by that person.

emerge077 and 2_Beardz like this.
  11. RKP1967

Interesting. I visited Asheville a few years ago and made it to AV and TB but not too BA. Really liked AV.

12. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (92) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

The post states liquidation sale starts today in the store and online. I'm on the site but don't see any liquidation sale or discounts..

13. greensparkplug

greensparkplug Initiate (85) Nov 28, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Last time I was there pretty much all of the sales were liquid.

14. 2_Beardz

2_Beardz Initiate (168) Apr 4, 2014 Florida
    Trader

went to Asheville for the first time back in October and stopped in here and Tasty Bev. both places had good selections, picked up some new beers at each place. sad to see bruisin' ales shutting their doors.

15. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,006) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Bruisin' Ales was a pioneering beer retailer. They began in a much different beer era and climate than now exists. Things change.
    As a wholesaler Jason was a pleasure to work with. He was succinct and precise, always prepared to see what was new. He was a great customer who helped our small company grow and become successful. I will always be grateful for his great good manners and the business that we did together. Bon chance!

emerge077 and dirtylou like this.
  16. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Initiate (146) Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

Bruisin always had a good selection for the space (at one time the best around) but was always pricey. Times have changed. Places like App Vint have 3x times the space for a better selection and typically better prices. And with grocery stores carrying more than enough good beer, people aren't going out of their way. Tourist aren't hitting it up because there is more than enough good stuff to bring home from the breweries. Whats left? Nostalgia only goes so far.

I think Brawleys is a good case study in this. He used to be the place to get package beer. Now selection is very limited but the taproom business is what is making the money (and people just happen to buy a 4 pack on the way out). Whole different business model.

gothedistance and kexp like this.