Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Belgium Brussels Packing supplies - Styro Shippers

Discussion in 'Europe' started by fthomasl, Feb 15, 2013.

1. fthomasl

fthomasl Mar 20, 2007 Texas

I will be visiting Brussels very soon. And of course I want to bring to beers home with me. Do you all know a place around Cantillon brewery that sells them? I will be checking them at the airport so I do not need to mail them back. Just need to find a place that sells them - specifically a 12-pack.

Thanks in advace for any info.

2. Erzengel

Erzengel Sep 8, 2008 Germany
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Hey,
    I'm sorry, but I haven't seen styro shippers or something like that in Belgium or Germany... Bubble-wrap or something is quite easy to get, but something made out of styrofoam or Styropor (German word for it) not - nearly all companies stopped using it due to the fact that it is plastic and not good for the environment...
    --> even Wine is shipped in card-board-boxes if you do mail-order...
    Probably you can pack the bottled with bubble-wrap on a plastic (beer-)crate??
    Good luck and have a nice trip!!!

3. beerpirates

beerpirates May 4, 2010 Belgium
    Beer Trader

4. Erzengel

Erzengel Sep 8, 2008 Germany
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Great to see that they exist :)

5. Stevedore

Stevedore Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Good information to know when it comes to my upcoming Europe trip. In particular I'll be in Switzerland, Paris and flying out of Brussels. So I'm sure I'll accumulate a nice cache of bottles in my backpack that I'll need to package to take home.

6. DStoked

DStoked Sep 28, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I was discussing this with someone else who raised the question as to whether these come with tops. So: do they? It would seem silly that they wouldn't but just want to be sure.

7. beerpirates

beerpirates May 4, 2010 Belgium
    Beer Trader

They don't have tops because they are used for cellaring bottles , but they are the same like nirmal styro shippers , but there is no bottom and no top , so i always use strong carboard and then i put bubblewrap or foam in each hole so it's even better then the regular styro shipper , on top i do the same
    You can find Cardboard and boxes enough at the supermarkets

8. DougOLis

DougOLis Aug 15, 2008 California

AVA Papierwaren (which is like a Michael's in the States) sells things like boxes, bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts too.

9. kscaldef

kscaldef Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

In retrospect, I would have been a lot less stressed on my trip to Europe if I'd just brought styro-shippers with me on the way there. I took one over to carry the beers I was trading, but then planned to acquire shipping material for the additional beers I was going to bring home and it turned out to be an unnecessary pain in the ass I could have avoided by just bringing a second empty one with me. (I was travelling with my wife and we each got 2 free bags, so there were no concerns about extra luggage charges.)

10. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Apr 5, 2006 California

That was my plan until I saw that British Airways charges $50 each way for a second bag, that screwed me.

11. pbudny

pbudny Jan 26, 2016 France

Cantillon now sells styrofoam shipping boxes, albeit for 3 bottles. They are made by Lazenne which sells a whole range of wine shippers at http://lazenne.com. They ship throughout Europe including to hotels if you purchase online. They also sell the Wine Check which is a specialized type of luggage for 12 or 15 bottles. It can be checked onto the airplane, and fully loaded comes under the 50 lbs airline luggage weight limit.

ManforallSaisons likes this.
  12. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Any info on prices, and how they compare with competing products elsewhere? I could use a shipper and live here, passing by Cantillon every so often, but I could also pick one up if there's better and cheaper elsewhere in Europe or the US.

13. dcgunman

dcgunman Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I was going to ask about a place that will box up bottles near the Cantillon Brewery. I think this is what I am looking for. The Lazenne Bottle Protector for 6 large bottles or 3. I will be in Brussels as my final stop before flying back to the US. And I was wondering if I were to buy and bring some bottles back home with me how was I was going to box them up and check them in as luggage on my flight. So does Cantillon sell the 6 bottle shipper/protectors? Or will I have to purchase 2-3 bottle protectors? How is the box sealed? Or will they put in to another box for check in bags? I can check 2 bags in for free so I would like to take advantage of this and bring some Cantillon bottles back with me.

14. adkieffer

adkieffer Nov 23, 2010 Washington

Yes, they only sell the 3 bottle currently. You could buy several of them and lash them together with a ton of tape and probably be fine. Or order them online when you are there and have the 6 or 12 delivered to wherever you are staying. The styro comes inside a cardboard box which is pretty sturdy but may be better off inside another box or the WineCheck luggage they also sell online. If you are only doing a few bottles you can always just pack securely in with your clothes and be just fine.

pbudny likes this.
  15. Ferocious

Ferocious Nov 17, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Bumping this thread back up. Anyone know a place in Brussels that I could buy a shipper up from? I see the place listed above on the thread that ships them, but my Airbnb is weird about receiving packages. If anyone local would be able to provide one, I've got a fresh can of Heady Topper with your name on it

16. tduecen

tduecen May 6, 2014 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

I went to the local supermarket and bought some garbage bags and diapers. Wrapped each bottle in a diaper and then placed them in the garbage bag. Put in my suitcase and brought it home with me. Would probably do the same if I was shipping using a box, was fairly cheap and easy. Diapers have a lot of cushion as well so bottles didn't bump each other.

Ferocious and BartS like this.
  17. F2brewers

F2brewers Mar 12, 2005 Massachusetts
    Moderator Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

No styro shippers, but I've used Shurgard:

http://www.shurgard.eu/

in and around Brussels many times for boxes, tape and bubble wrap. Pack yourself some scissors (or buy a cheap pair in Brussels), rubber bands, a marker and some resealable plastic bags and you're ready to roll.

They've got (among others) a location right by the airport, another about 5 minutes drive from Cantillon and one nearly 1/2 way between Cantillon and 3F. Not kidding.

Ferocious and BartS like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe