Brut IPA: here to stay or just a passing fad?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ninjakillzu, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu Disciple (322) Oct 5, 2015 Washington

Today, when I was at Total Wine, I came across some new beers titled "Brut IPAs". Apparently, they are dry and have similar characteristics to champagne. I had no clue these existed, and I saw that both Sierra Nevada and New Belgium have already hopped onto this seemingly new trend. What do you guys think of them? I'll be picking some up later, but until then, I will have to satisfy my curiosity by posting here.

2. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (324) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Passing fad. It's the black IPA of years back.

3. Ninjakillzu

AKA the "Cascadian Dark Ale" for those in the PNW.

4. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (93) Jan 7, 2015 Washington

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I don't see much hype or distribution in the Pacific Northwest/Puget Sound Region of Seattle with regards to the Brut IPA. NOTHING compared to the initial & current onslaught of Hazy NE style IPA's.

Yet to see ANYTHING that compares to the Hazy NE Style trend that has taken and currently dominates the beer scene!

5. Retroman40

Retroman40 Devotee (492) Dec 7, 2013 Florida

I've taken a bit of a liking to the style but then again I like dry sparkling wines. I've had the New Belgium and found it quite nice - nothing face melting but decent. If it does fade away I'm covered since the current issue of Zygurmy Magazine features a really nice story about Brut IPA and includes a couple of recipes that I can't wait to try. I just hope my local home brew store has amyloglucosidose in stock or I'll have to resort to the internet.

Is it a fad? I guess that's up to the consumers of craft beer - it is a business after all and if it sells it'll be around.

KentT and MyBar like this.
  6. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,172) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

I've seen a few regional brewers come out with one, but I'm thinking it's the novelty of BA and others recognizing it as a separate style. Folks are ticking the new style on their way to all styles or just trying the new IPA on the block. Seems like a taste nobody is looking for, so I wonder if you'll even be able to find one in a couple of years?

7. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,390) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

If your store sells to distillers, look in that section. That where I found Amylo for my batch.

8. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,959) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Big breweries sat around and missed NE IPAs. I think they're eager to jump on anything resembling a trend out of fear of missing out again.

That said, I don't know if brut IPAs will stick around. I rather enjoy some of them, and would favor them for my daily drinker.

KentT, TheDoctor, beertunes and 3 others like this.
  9. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (551) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

My local store had an absolutely huge display of Six Point's new Brut IPA (Sparkler) this weekend.

I don't recall ever seeing such a heavily marketed presentation of Six Point before and wondered whether it was tied in to the sale and perhaps a new approach (since as you referenced, I seem to recall them being a brewery that did not exactly rush into the NE IPA waters).

Amendm, hopsputin and Harrison8 like this.
  10. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,038) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

Time will tell, I guess. However, I've tried the few I've been able to find, and I'm sold. I love the juicy hoppiness without the overbearing sweetness, and the clean, dry finish makes it a perfect pairing with a variety of foods. I'm seeing more of these locally, and I'll keep trying as many as I can get my hands on. It has the potential to become one of my favorite styles.

MyBar, Number1Framer and Harrison8 like this.
  11. MikeP64

MikeP64 Initiate (162) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

I'm sure we will see them every December from now on...I mean we got your fall beers...your summer ales...your winter spiced ales...why not a 'New Years' beer.

BEAKER02180 and BalancingBrooms like this.
  12. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (563) Dec 12, 2014 California

Fad. They don't taste as good as regular IPAs to me (although that is also the case for NEIPAs for me so...)

13. Retroman40

Retroman40 Devotee (492) Dec 7, 2013 Florida

Thanks for the idea.

14. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (428) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Has a brut tripel a few weeks ago that was pretty tasty... the IPAs are good too

Wondering if the brut factor reducing the residual sugars may have any effect on mitigating hangovers?!

15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,761) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Sixpoint has over the past year produced a number of ‘NEIPA’ beers but only available for sale directly from the brewery in Red Hook (Brooklyn - NYC). I believe this coincided with the arrival of their new head brewer of Eric Bachli (formerly the head brewer at Trillium) in August 2017).

You can read more here: https://www.brewbound.com/news/sixpoint-brewery-hires-former-trillium-brewing-head-brewer

What the future holds for Sixpoint as being a part of the ABV umbrella?

Cheers!

RobNewton and meefmoff like this.
  16. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (227) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

My feelings as well. I like sweet, I like hoppy, but something about hoppy and sweet together that wears my palate out quickly...with many IPAs 3/4 through the glass and I am over it, with Brut IPAs I haven't had the same reaction yet with the few that I was able to try and hope that more come out.

I wonder about this also.

MyBar and dcotom like this.
  17. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,425) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I think it will hang around if it gains traction. I see it popping up all over the place, question is will sales warrant keeping it around. The ones I had are tasty. Time will tell on this, my assumption is it may not stick but who knows.
    :beers::beers:

Amendm likes this.
  18. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,703) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

I’ve tried 3 or 4 of them, and haven’t been a huge fan so far

19. Bear1964

Bear1964 Devotee (487) Dec 12, 2012 Nebraska

I tried the New Belgium offering and I really enjoyed it, is it here to stay...I would guess not. It’s a nice take on the IPA and worth a taste for sure, a little more refined in the pith level and really easy drinking. I found it well balanced and very flavorful, looked great and had a solid aroma to round out the tasting.

20. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,232) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

I hope a short-lived fad. I find them pretty lame.

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas likes this.
  21. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,218) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

Here to stay. I think they’re challenging to brew but the good ones are special.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  22. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (325) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Passing fad for sure af.

23. Junior

Junior Disciple (343) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I'd guess fad as well. I've had two. Neither were that good. I doubt that I'll have another.

24. WhiteHart

WhiteHart Initiate (35) Apr 16, 2018 North Carolina

Please...

deanzaZZR and Ninjakillzu like this.
  25. Ninjakillzu

Good thing I bought New Belgium's version to try.

26. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,683) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Since we are in a regionally similar space, try Silver City's Trophy Life. So far, it's the closest one I've had to what my mental image of the style is.

I don't grasp why breweries are making murky versions ( ok, I fucking know why, hype sells.), but even then, as long as the beer is light bodied, crisp, with a bone dry finish, I'll drink it before I would the nearest "beer" that should come in a small box with a pointy straw.

Shrug.

So far, I haven't hated any, a few have been really good ( Hey, Boulevard, yours was very, very nice. Will bang again.), and none have been bland and/or boring. NEIPAs can't claim that.

27. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,468) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

I can see the style being on rotation at the breweries that get a good reaction to them. So far I have tried three of them. One was really good and I would get it again for sure. The others didn't taste different than regular IPA's with modern hops. Surprised to read how they are ubiquitous in some areas, certainly far from the case here.

28. Amendm

Amendm Disciple (390) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

With the IPA moniker on the label, Brut IPA’s will sell.
    I don’t see this s a fad or a trend.
    There are plenty of Pale Ales that are dry, usually at the end of the taste/aftertaste so I see a demand.
    I think Bruts will increase in production and sale but hey what do I know, I thought Black Ales were the next big craze four years ago.

29. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (127) Dec 2, 2010 New York

I hope here to stay. I've had some really, really good examples of it (Industrial Arts, Brown's, and another I'm forgetting) and one that was solid (Fair State) so I think the style has definite merit.

30. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,254) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado

A little bit of both. I see it very much like Black IPA, White IPA, Belgian IPA, etc.
    They won't completely disappear, but the days of every brewery under the sun making a random one are numbered. They'll be an afterthought by the end of 2019.

31. Ninjakillzu

I knew the Trophy Life was an IPA, but I didn't know it was a Brut. I'll have to try it sometime!

beertunes and Amendm like this.
  32. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (133) Feb 13, 2018 New York

I burned through a 4 pack of Ommegang Brut IPA in one night. I can definitely say I will be buying more. I tried Sierra Nevada's the next day and was less excited, but it was still a decent, serviceable beer.

I like these (from my small sampling) more than I do NEIPA, but I do not want to see them everywhere. I'm at the point where beer shopping is no longer fun, but rather a faceless stroll down an aisle of silver cans that I will never ever buy.

33. rgordon

rgordon Champion (872) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I completely agree, but that last paragraph is like a Woody Allen aside. Thank you !.

Ahonky likes this.
  34. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Disciple (308) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina

I have had a couple that I really enjoyed, but it definitely won't be around long. Just about every one of the local breweries around here has tried to make one and just about every single one of them had major diacetyl or some other unpleasant characteristic. I would rather have a diacetyl bomb than 99% of NE, hazy, juicy, whateverthehell garbage people are calling IPAs these days though.

35. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (445) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Brut IPA getting more love than Black IPA... and I would pick up black IPAs in a heartbeat, if they become a thing again.

I propose the following:
    (nothing) IPA: spring
    Juicy/Hazy/NEIPA: summer (the juice is loose)
    Brut IPA: fall (NYE prep)
    Black IPA: winter (it looks like a stout at least)

36. ktr5010

ktr5010 Initiate (98) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I think they will be around if we as consumers can figure out what a good one tastes like and breweries can figure out some form of consistency in what they are actually supposed to be. I believe some breweries will abandon the style in a year or so once everyone tries a few and decides that they would rather go back to hazy stuff.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  37. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,761) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

In my opinion this is key here. I have only had a few Brut IPAs so far and I was not thrilled with any of them. If I ever get a chance to taste a 'good' Brut IPA I will likely change my personal opinion on this beer 'style' but if breweries at large are unable to consistently brew 'good' Brut IPAs it is likely that folks will refuse to purchase them. Even the 'good' ones will be at risk if folks just give up on the style.

Cheers!

ktr5010 and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  38. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,525) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I think they're like most styles in that once the hype is over, the good ones will stick around and the mediocre ones will die away. I've had three so far, and I gotta say, I do enjoy the style. I like having them on occasion.

Your area might be a bit behind. The PNW and West Coast took several years to catch onto the NEIPAs, too.

I believe we're experiencing a bit of a resurgence in black IPAs. Firestone Walker released Wookus fall before last, last summer I bought Mikkeller Mosaic Black IPA--and in just the past few months, New Belgium, The Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, Peak Organic, Ellicottville, and a few other big name breweries (I can't recall off the top of my head) have also released black IPAs. Magnify, maybe? Black IPAs have come back. Maybe not as big as they were, but I've been seeing them again, both on social media and on my beer store shelves.

39. SirLeaflock

SirLeaflock Initiate (15) Jul 27, 2018 Wisconsin

I bough the Sierra Nevada Brut on sight, not previously knowing it existed, because I've been wanting to try the style. I really like it. Two Hearted is the only IPA I buy with any frequency, but I definitely intend to pick up another SN six pack. I'm not good with detailed reviews, but I really enjoyed it. The hop flavor without the "stickiness" is really pleasant.

ESHBG likes this.
  40. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,621) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

Going to pimp the Sierra Nevada one also. I was stoked when I heard about this style because I really like a dry beer sometimes. The thing that I don't like about most of these is the ABV which is usually above 7 or 7.5 and Sierra Nevada weighs in at 6.2 ABV. The other thing is that it is actually dry and crisp almost like a pilsner, which the others I have tried aren't. Most reviews on this style they are getting slammed for the body, which is somewhat to be expected since they are dried out so much.

ESHBG and beertunes like this.