Brut IPA: here to stay or just a passing fad?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ninjakillzu, Jan 7, 2019.

1. BEAKER02180

BEAKER02180 Initiate (21) Mar 12, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

If the trend in cider has any indication of the direction beer drinkers are heading, then drier beers are the next wave of popular sellers. Of course I can only speak about the sales in my store, but drier liquid is king in all departments here

Harrison8, ESHBG and PEBKAC like this.
  2. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (502) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

I think the style will stick around, and that more breweries will go for it because it can reach across beverage choices over into people who might be more interested in wine, or some kind of sparkling cider. It can also pair with foods a bit more easily than the dessert beverage quality of the milkshake trend.
    I suspect, as well, they can be marketed a bit more readily to a broader audience than the boys club quality of what NE, and milkshake IPA seems to have gone towards.
    I only hope that breweries can avoid the abv creep and start making them under 6%, and even lower.

donspublic likes this.
  3. MyBar

MyBar Initiate (35) Jan 7, 2019 California

Same! I've been trying all the Brut IPA's I can get my hands on for fear they are limited release or won't be around for long. I really enjoy the hop flavor with the dry effervescence of Champagne since I also enjoy Wine! Sparkling wines are palette cleansing and pair with anything which is what I'm enjoying about the Brut IPA's! I think it's a great crossover for Wine Drinkers! The one's I've tried but need to rate:

"Strange Brut" Beachwood 7.3%ABV was my first. Hooked but was a limited release so needed to search elsewhere.
    "Brut Wayne" Mason Aleworks, Eagle Rock Brewery and Kern River Brewing collab. 7.6%ABV deliciously complex layers from a blend of Mosiac, Nelson and Hallertau Blanc
    "BRUT IPA" Ommegang 6.3%ABV very crushable.
    "Fancy Feathers" Bow and Arrow Brewing 6.7%ABV, the most difficult to obtain so far but worth the trouble.
    "Brut Squad" Bear Republic 6.5%ABV, Galaxy and Hallertau Blanc, tropical refreshing!
    ...So many more to try!!!!

dcotom likes this.
  4. MyBar

More info on Brut Tripel Please!

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  5. MyBar

I also enjoyed Ommegang but have tried others I liked more! I'll keep trying till they phase out if that's what happens.

6. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (428) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

They had it in the Liquid Center at New Belge about a month ago... seems like their basic tripel recipe with somma dat brut action. As it warmed, it actually started to throw off some weird flavors, but overall it was quite tasty.

MyBar likes this.
  7. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (45) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

Hoping and praying its only a passing fad. If I wanted to drink champagne I would drink champagne. I don't like champagne. For those that enjoy the style, happy for you. You can count on the fact I won't be drinking any therefore leaving more for you. We honestly don't need another style of IPA anyway.

8. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,953) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I'm all for more Brut and Black IPAs. I support your idea! Unfortunately, I don't brew, but I'll encourage others to follow this suggestion.

Whenever I visit a taproom, I browse for: barleywine, black & brut IPAs, milds, bitters, and then any novel style. Should the place fail those checks, I revert to a standard IPA.

9. Jow13

Jow13 Initiate (28) Apr 5, 2016 Florida
    Trader

I would switch Brut to Spring and regular IPA to fall. Then milkshake IPAs can be had for dessert after holidays throughout the year

10. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,390) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Hopped Cider is a thing now.

I made a Brut IPA at home, when I packaged it, it was at 0.998 FG, which was in the range I was looking for. My homemade ciders end up around 0.997-0.998. The dry ciders are balanced by the apple aromas and flavors. I do backsweeten some ciders to the 1.006-8 range, which is not far from the FG of some regular IPAs.

#50 hopfenunmaltz, Jan 11, 2019 at 5:42 PM
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 5:48 PM
    TongoRad likes this.
  11. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (5,341) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

I've had between 5-10 of these now, and have yet to have a single one that I would describe as remotely dry. Some semi-dry like just about any other IPA out there, but...clean dry finish? No.

And hell, there are a ton of NE IPAs that are totally cardboard, cottonmouth, and bone dry. I really don't see the point.

And none of them have even tasted particularly good.

Amendm likes this.
  12. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (547) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

There's some experimentation with hopped wine too.
    (Interesting excerpt from the linked article above: "..."Fermentation is in my blood,” [Karen Steinwachs] said as she explained that her great-great-grandfather founded Pabst beer."

13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,760) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Jeff, how did your Brut IPA turn out? Would you brew it again (same recipe/process)?

Cheers!

14. hopfenunmaltz

I just talked it over before I left to inspect the southern border (seeing family). It is in the keg, might have been a tad bitter when I racked.

15. hopfenunmaltz

Racked, tried to fix that, failed.

16. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (343) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

It’s a response to sweet haze. This is the pendulum swing back.

We had palette wrecker from green flash years ago, then came the New England ipa. Then came thousands of bad attempts at that style which had made many tiresome of it.

Now we have Brut ipa. The response to bad NEIPA.

The pendulum is always swinging. I hope we land on west coast ipa with less bitterness for a while.

Harrison8 and meefmoff like this.
  17. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (550) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

The Sierra Nevada Brut IPA just showed up here and it's the first one I've had that actually did taste uber crisp and dry in line with the descriptions that popped up on BA early on.

That said, I didn't particularly care for it. People mentioned cider above and it's so crisp and thin that it actually reminded me of cider a bit. And as advertised it basically disappears on the swallow which I also didn't really care for. It does have a nice little hit of pilsner malt though which makes it taste a little like a vaguely fruity, crazily dry german pils.

On the plus side I think I finally at least understand what the style is going for. On the minus side I don't think it's for me.

JackHorzempa and Sabtos like this.
  18. JackHorzempa

Premium

I have yet to homebrew a Brut IPA (and I am not sure I will) but I would think the hard part is producing a super dry beer that is not also very thin.

I do homebrew Saisons and even though those beer are super dry (e.g., a FG of around 1.001) those beers do not taste super thin since the Saison yeast strain(s) produce glycerol which provides a sense of fullness to the beer.

Cheers!

Harrison8, Maestro0708 and meefmoff like this.
  19. meefmoff

Premium

I wonder if this could work as a feature and not a bug? Maybe it could draw in some cider or boozy seltzer drinkers who don't like the 'heaviness" of beer?

Harrison8 likes this.
  20. JackHorzempa

Premium

Yeah, I suppose that could be a possibility but I have to wonder how many folks who prefer to drink hard cider or seltzers would be willing to:
    • Number 1: purchase a beer vs. their preferred beverages
    • Number 2: purchase a beer that has the acronym of "IPA" on the label
    It seems to me that it would be a great marketing feat to make this happen.

Cheers!

Maestro0708 and meefmoff like this.
  21. meefmoff

Premium

I guess we'll have to see what the actual limits are to the somewhat magical properties of the term "IPA" :sunglasses:

JackHorzempa likes this.
  22. woodchipper

woodchipper Savant (998) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Premium

Haven't had one I liked yet, but I keep hearing good ones are out there....elusive.

23. JackHorzempa

Premium

Fair enough but I know plenty of folks who are scared of that term.

Let me tell you a related story. I was on a road trip with a bunch of friends to first visit a car museum in Allentown, PA and then later for some beers and lunch in nearby Bethlehem, PA. We visited the brewpub of Bonn Place. I made the mistake of telling my buddy Jonathan that this place won a GABF award for their English Bitter Ale. I immediately saw the expression on his face and he ordered a differing beer. I offered him a sip of my Bitter Ale and I saw his eyes 'light up' and after he finished his beer he ordered the Bitter Ale.

While hoppy beers may be the darling of the craft beer sect there are many (the majority of alcohol beverage consumers including 'mainstream' beer consumers) who are violently opposed to these sorts of beers.

Cheers!

meefmoff likes this.
  24. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Disciple (336) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

I tried a 750ml bottle of 'Black Ops" which was Brooklyn chocolate stout brewed with champagne yeast,and aged in wood. It was delicious and weird. A black stout with much bubbles and foam like Champagne. I would keep buying it, but at 18$ a bottle I feel guilty-

25. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,953) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

For what it's worth, I rather liked the thinness. It felt light enough that I could sip through a few in an evening and not disrupt my training, but it hits higher than 6%. I was rather confused about that at the time of consumption. I'm tempted to make it my official beer while training, since it still has a good deal of hop flavor, without making me feel sluggish or heavy the next day.

I plan to revisit it tonight to see if my palate was off last night, or if it was the setting influencing me.

Cheers.

MyBar and meefmoff like this.
  26. meefmoff

Premium

I actually agree. I was mostly just riffing on the joke about everything in the craft world having to be labeled an IPA :slight_smile:

27. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,656) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’ve only had one Brut ipa and it was a good beer. But I suspect like most ipa styles whether it’s good or not depends on the brewers skill. There’s nothing inherent here in style to make it better in and by itself. Same applies to IPAs, DIPAS, NEIPAS, etc. A skilled brewer makes a great beer regardless of the style. A great beer is just that, you know it right off the bat, and it exists across every style of beer.