Buckeye State Brew News (Ohio) (2019 - 2021)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by ClePaul, Feb 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neelonjm

neelonjm Jul 13, 2015 Ohio

Wait you’re saying that random bottle shops in Ohio have already gotten regular 2020 BCBS a month ago, and have already released them for sale?

tepie likes this.
  2. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Or early this month. Either way I remember seeing some posts pop up on social media way earlier than you'd expect, but don't know where all to look right now. This one was posted in the BCBS thread here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGA1OHKBHIj/

3. neelonjm

neelonjm Jul 13, 2015 Ohio

Interesting, I wouldn’t even think Ohio distributors had the beers yet, let alone having already distributed them to smaller shops to sit on. But I don’t know much about the flows of distribution.

tepie likes this.
  4. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

It showed up in other Ohio spots as well at the same time. Bottled in July which is about 2 months earlier than usual.

5. ClePaul

ClePaul May 30, 2013 Ohio

Does anyone know if those 4-packs of Steel Dawn (Or *variants) are hitting
    distro?

Coffee
    Mexican
    Coconut

Never mind. Says they arnt. Would be cool if CLE and CIN got some small drops :wink:

6. SteelPenguin

SteelPenguin Jul 19, 2014 Ohio

The local Giant Eagle put 6 cases out around the 18th. Still had almost half of that this past Sunday.

7. pest

pest Sep 2, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Damn. All the early drops were NE Ohio from what I heard? I didn't see anything about slip ups in the CBUS market.

8. Matt_Johnston

Matt_Johnston Apr 23, 2014 Ohio

FWIW Lagunitas Born Yesterday is starting to show up in Ohio. Jungle Jim's Fairfield had some.

9. tepie

tepie Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

More like born last month! .... Yeah

10. SteelCranium

SteelCranium Jul 1, 2010 Ohio

Their version of the BLM brew.

11. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Mar 19, 2011 Ohio

[​IMG] Any sightings of the Short’s Hoppy Holidays pack in NE Ohio? Looks like an incredible lineup this year.

12. SteelCranium

SteelCranium Jul 1, 2010 Ohio

Meijer. Picked one up today in Avon. More on the shelf.

Hoptometrist likes this.
  13. Ollie63

Ollie63 Nov 30, 2018 Ohio
    Trader

Still have yet to come across any in the Columbus area. Just tried using the beer finder on their website and not seeing any around the city after a quick browse. Unfortunate.

14. tepie

tepie Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

My buddy just sent me a photo that he got it, north east of cleveland, dated 10/5

15. Ollie63

Trader

If it's already going on a month and a half at this point, not sure I'd even bother if it did ever make it's way here.

Ronmarley1 and tepie like this.
  16. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

#1096 Ronmarley1, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  17. cg123

cg123 Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

Just saw a can of Masthead Participation Award Dortmunder. That as A-1 trolling of Great Lakes right there...

18. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Nov 15, 2009 Ohio
    Deactivated

Have any Ohio folks seen Straight Jacket around? Not sure when it hits Ohio distro.

MastaaaGrillaaa likes this.
  19. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Jun 30, 2015

Holy shit, I got a 4pk yesterday and that just now clicked.

I guess when you get a gold for your beer, you gotta ride that out for the next 30 years. (Dort is still a good beer, for the record)

cg123 likes this.
  20. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

You guys do realize "dortmunder" is a beer style, right?
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/20/

RyanMcFly1985 likes this.
  21. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

It's definitely my highest rated dorkmonger, out of three...

deleted_user_1007501 likes this.
  22. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Jun 30, 2015

I absolutely do.

But we were saying GLBC calls their dortmunder “Dortmunder Gold” because it won a gold at GABF in 1990. Masthead calls their dortmunder Participation Award because, obviously, it hasn’t won any medals, but kind of a cheeky jest at GLBC.

cg123, SteelPenguin and Sabtos like this.
  23. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

If you gotta explain it...

CaptCleveland likes this.
  24. ClePaul

WHERE THE FUDGE! Is Fudge KBS?

In Maple Bourbon Barrel related news... Anyone else think its kinda funny, kinda cool that the #1 trending beer (at least on my BA) was aged in Bissell barrels? BisselI maple fam is like 40 minutes from me. I grabbed 1... It set me back a couple bucks. A bit too pricey for Anheuser Busch. Still excited to try it.

Any word on the Maple KBS?

25. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

If the middle if your post is talking about Special #4, it's really (and finally) back to form with BCBCCS, as it's heavy on the mocha and very, very light on the maple.

ClePaul likes this.
  26. Ronmarley1

Trader

The guy at my store told me mid to late December for Mackinac Fudge KBS. He said it’s tied up with the state because of label issues. He did not know what the issue(s) was.

ClePaul likes this.
  27. Ollie63

Trader

So many new brands coming into the state recently. Just on a quick browse the other day I saw barrel-aged bottles from Orpheus, as well as a sour from Hidden Springs down in Florida.

CaptCleveland likes this.
  28. NXF0020

NXF0020 Jun 4, 2019 Ohio

A few weeks back CLAG in Sandusky tapped a Hidden Springs Double Barrel Fluffernutter Black Aggie Imperial Stout (what a mouthful) keg that was absolutely delicious! I highly recommend trying it if you can find it.

I've been patiently waiting for the Fudge KBS to release here in NEO.

29. jampics2

jampics2 Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

I’ve heard Founders Fudge is a distributor issue not a label issue. State has been pretty good approving labels so not sure why that one would be taking forever. Heard distributor wants to sell Espresso variant out of warehouse stock before rolling out Fudge. Fits their MO, they do the same thing with Sierra Nevada sample packs (which is a fucking shame, I mean, SN is hands down best packaging in the game but extra amazing in first 45 days).

ClePaul and Ronmarley1 like this.
  30. Ronmarley1

Trader

Thanks dude. I’m sure that’s what the distributor told the store. They’ve pulled the same shit back in the day when Hopslam and Nugget Nectar came out around the same time.

ClePaul likes this.
  31. purephase

purephase Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

I believe this has started showing up this week, along with Deth By Cherries.

tepie and GuyFawkes like this.
  32. cbusnoles

cbusnoles May 23, 2010 Ohio
    Trader

My buddy is the Founders rep in Central Ohio...it’s a label issue...as of mid Nov it hadn’t been approved yet by the state...

33. ClePaul

I have heard this as well.... but my source was questioning it a little too, just because Ohio has been prettty good with labels lately (Probably because the ABV change) Lucky that Founders doesn’t just sell it else where. I don’t think it’s all that super readily available and all indications point to it being pretty delicious.

34. cbusnoles

cbusnoles May 23, 2010 Ohio
    Trader

It’s good for sure...had another buddy bring me a 4pk from Michigan...there were pallets and pallets of it in every Meijer in the State LOL...definitely my favorite KBS to date

GuyFawkes likes this.
  35. Fordcoyote15

Trader

Hands down. And I generally favor just straight up nothing added barrel aged stouts. The less pastry the better but this one just really works.

cbusnoles and GuyFawkes like this.
  36. Hoos78

Hoos78 Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Not really news, and many of you may move on past with a “meh”. But I am drinking a 6 day old batch of White Rajah and I’ll be damned if it is not one of, if not the best IPA I’ve had in some time. It’s been over a year since I’ve had it, and this is crazy bright with tropical hop aroma and flavor. Quite bitter too...my favorite combo. Dare I say, because HeadHunter may be my favorite beer, but this batch may be out HeadHunter-ing HeadHunter!

37. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

There were many times where I preferred it over Head Hunter. Just not the last few years. I may have to check it out.

CaptCleveland and Hoos78 like this.
  38. Hoos78

Hoos78 Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Grab this recent batch. It’s really great. I can’t get over how fruity/almost tangy the hops are with the right amount of bitterness.

deleted_user_1007501 likes this.
  39. Fordcoyote15

Trader

I'll give it a go. Head hunter is near perfection so thanks for the encouragement to revisit WR

40. tepie

tepie Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

Same, grabbed a 12 and it's was great. Usually get head hunter, but rajah was fresh and it rocked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.