Buckeye State Brew News (Ohio) (2019 - 2021)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by ClePaul, Feb 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (4,771) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Has anyone tried Noble Beast's Lord Of Lupulin? It's a "Double India Rice Lager" and it's absolutely amazing.. awesome hop profile.. Noble Beast is brewing some of the best beers in Cleveland..

2. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015

Rajah comes in 12s? Have I been under a rock?

tepie and ClePaul like this.
  3. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (284) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

They could have been out before, but I think I first saw them around mid-November.

4. Hoos78

Hoos78 Disciple (305) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

[​IMG]

toolbrew likes this.
  5. toolbrew

toolbrew Savant (940) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Society Trader

Where is the date on those? And is it easy to read? Hoping to find some over the holidays.

6. Hoos78

Honestly, not sure where the date is on the 12pks. I haven’t bought one yet. Six pack dates are on the can bottoms. I purchased a 6pk packaged 12/11.

toolbrew likes this.
  7. tepie

tepie Initiate (80) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

Date is within a month likely. Buy it and crush it. Then get head hunter and crush it. Can't hate on a previous 4 pack to 6 pack to 12 pack format. Getting sick of these $20 4 packs, verse a 12 pack for the same price. Am I a dad ?

8. Bretts545

Bretts545 Initiate (57) Feb 19, 2014 Ohio

Can't blame you for the $20 4 packs but any brewery charging that is much smaller and using a lot more hops per bbl in those beers.

tepie likes this.
  9. Kraz

Kraz Disciple (350) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Society Trader

Work is bringing me to Columbus in early February. I was encouraged to book an AirBnB as opposed to a hotel for cleanliness control sake.

Time to find something on Short North so I can walk around for some to-gos and hit up the Market, I guess. I always go to Land Grant, 7th Son and Hoof. Anything else new around there worth checking out? Or, anyone have any other areas in mind besides Short North?

10. Ronmarley1

Trader

Jackie O’s has opened a new place on 4th. They are not brewing yet, but do offer to go. Check their site for updated COVID restrictions.
    I like North High on High, especially if they have Stardust to Stardust.

pest and Kraz like this.
  11. pest

pest Disciple (372) Sep 2, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Wolf's ridge and hoof (that you already mentioned) would be my primary's for that location. @Ronmarly1 is right to suggest togo's from Jackie O's. I think they were targeting Feb full opening, but that was initially so who knows at this point. You might get lucky though. If your willing to drive and like sours Pretentious barrel house should be on your radar.

12. Hoos78

Special Hoperations (Fatheads/Breakside) is freaking fantastic. It is hazy, but not murky or a juice bomb. West Coast hazy and plenty bitter. Amazing...

ClePaul and Ronmarley1 like this.
  13. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (506) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Agreed on Hoperations. Its amazing! IMO, significantly better than the Heinens "collab"!

ClePaul likes this.
  14. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (599) May 30, 2013 Ohio

I was going to mention Special Hops too! It almost reminds me of a Toppling Goliath mets Russian River. It’s outstanding. Probably the best Hazy they have canned. Or at least that I have had. I may be missing one... I’ll go

Special>Ei8ht>Groovy>Holihaze

15. tepie

Hoperations honestly sucked compared to last year. It was a brilliant bright clean ipa last year, and now it's an "almost hazy", really
    fell short for me. Why the 16 ounce can too? If there are no 12 ounce cans then go back to bottles.

CannedWaggoneer likes this.
  16. SteelCranium

SteelCranium Initiate (117) Jul 1, 2010 Ohio

i wouldn’t classify it as sucked, but knew that it would be hard to beat a collab between two of the best hop masters. Better than the barley browns collab two years ago. I’m enjoying this one. The strata hops add an interesting dimension with different flavors introduced as it warms.

17. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (599) May 30, 2013 Ohio

I hear ya, but it smacks for the style. I miss their west coasts.... You got Danklin’s around the corner so it’s no matter.
    Special Hops is great though for a hazy.

18. Bretts545

Bretts545 Initiate (57) Feb 19, 2014 Ohio

16oz cans because the majority of consumers want cans, not bottles.

Sinzanasti and SteelPenguin like this.
  19. Ronmarley1

Trader

Hopslam showed up in the south suburbs of Cleveland today. A bit earlier than past years.

20. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,197) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

21. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (506) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Grabbed two four-packs of the wet-hopped Head Hunter. Can't wait to try this weekend! No doubt it will be awesome.

tepie, Ronmarley1 and CaptCleveland like this.
  22. Ollie63

Ollie63 Initiate (64) Nov 30, 2018 Ohio
    Trader

Wow. I need that wet-hop HH in my life. Did it make it down to Columbus or is it just being sold from their production location(s)?

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  23. jampics2

jampics2 Poo-Bah (1,808) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

It’ll see very limited distro.

24. SteelCranium

This weekend? Already too late - past its prime. Only downhill from here.

Lucky to have the brewery so close to us and they don't delay when releasing. Picked some up as they were carrying it in from the back. Can date 1/14/21 at 12:20pm. At home consuming it with a few steaks on the grill at 3:00pm.

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  25. jampics2

jampics2 Poo-Bah (1,808) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

I know you kid, and was also thrilled with a can date w/in the hour. But after trying it I think this beer will be a hair better in 10-14 days.

Have had some very interesting talks over the years with West Coast IPA brewers and most of the ones I consider elite have said they think they peak around day 14, give or take. This isn’t green per say but I think a tad more full spectrum flavor will emerge in a little bit of time. It’s a lovely beer; my initial impression is I need to buy more Head Hunter in 2021 and less trendy bullshit.

26. Hoos78

Now that is a resolution I can get behind.

27. SteelCranium

Yes, 100% kidding and agree with your other comments. I actually don't typically crack a Juju until a few weeks after canning/bottling since the sweet spot for me starts after a few weeks and goes for the next month or so. Most fat heads hoppy releases seem to fall under this rule. I normally don't have this issue with other brands since I don't have the issue of getting them too fresh.

Cracked this one ASAP since it is branded as "fresh hop" and had to be part of the "experiment" with this new hop preservation process. This is a 'trial' that I'm happy to get on board with.

Ronmarley1 and jampics2 like this.
  28. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Meyvn (1,179) Mar 19, 2011 Ohio

Any Abyss sightings in NE Ohio? It is in 4 packs this year and was hoping to grab some.

29. Ronmarley1

Trader

Hoptometrist likes this.
  30. tepie

12 packs bro

31. BB1313

Society Trader

I saw some at Red Wine and Brew in Chesterland last week.. I saw some at Save-On in Mentor yesterday..

Hoptometrist likes this.
  32. SteelCranium

Hit some Cleveland shops today. Didn’t pick up any more since I don’t see a big improvement over regular head hunter. Actually prefer the hoppy bite of normal better than the wet hop version. Had it back to back with special hoperations, and liked the special hops much more.

Sabtos likes this.
  33. Ronmarley1

Trader

[​IMG]

We did a side by side on Sunday. I could taste the similarity between the two. For me, essentially it’s a hoppier Head Hunter. I also agree with @jampics2 that in a week or two, it’ll really be dialed-in. Very good!

WesMantooth and jampics2 like this.
  34. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,587) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Agreed, wet hop/fresh hop stuff has always been underwhelming to me relative to taking the traditional route.

35. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,197) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Agreed. I’ve had several fresh hop beers that were that way. I think Hopstalker has been too “green” at times, and noticed it with Yakima before. This one strikes me the same so far. We shall see.

36. Ronmarley1

Trader

[​IMG]

I passed on the last couple of iterations, and I’m sure I missed at least another, so when I saw the cans, I figured I’d give it a chance. This was really good! I would put it in the top two or three of the series.

Ollie63 and RyanMcFly1985 like this.
  37. purephase

purephase Initiate (174) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

Cincinnati area people shouldn't sleep on the Fretboard/Wooly Pig Ungespundet collab (Oohahh), especially since it was just recently canned for a second time. I wouldn't put it quite at the level of the best of Wooly Pig's solo offerings but it's nice to enjoy something they were involved in available outside of Coshocton County. I really like the lagers from Sonder and Branch and Bone but Fretboard might be my first recommendation for the style in southwest Ohio for the combination of consistent availability with high quality, and I think it makes a lot of sense they were the first brewery Kevin collaborated with.

Bretts545, taalhiker and ClePaul like this.
  38. Ronmarley1

Trader

Wolf’s Ridge has made it to northeast Ohio.

39. Yuh__boy

Yuh__boy Initiate (6) Feb 4, 2021 Ohio

Fellow cleveland native, may I ask where you would send someone to scratch their itchy beverage needs around here? To narrow down specifics, I’m looking for the fairly recent smoothie sour phenomenon. I have a small list of locations already, but if a fellow local can help from a community of this I’ll desire over yelpers.

40. BB1313

Society Trader

Where in Cleveland are you? It'll be easier to give store recommendations based on your location..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.