Buckeye State Brew News (Ohio)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ClePaul, Feb 27, 2019.

1. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (551) May 30, 2013 Ohio

I guess we have to to say on topic.... Ohio breweries, new to Ohio, local and regional updates. Kelly Ripa syill has IPA in her name.

marcus23 likes this.
  2. jhall830

jhall830 Initiate (48) Dec 9, 2014 Ohio

Sigh...did everyone get the old thread deleted? :angry:

3. ClePaul

Yeah, Hoping we can make this thread a bit more all encompassing. Ohio releases, destinations, rumors, breweries, distribution news, bottle shops. All things Ohio.

chrismattlin likes this.
  4. lotgod

lotgod Initiate (157) Jan 25, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

In distro news...I'm still bitter about Y-Town not getting Old Nation. Luckily I have a friend in Detroit now getting me Boss, M-43, and Cart.

Also, who has more info on Crooked Pecker? Their Facebook page is a barren watse land.

5. tepie

tepie Initiate (78) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

6. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Poo-Bah (2,964) Feb 22, 2013 Ohio

WineRak in Zanesville has some Old Nation M-43 and Boss Tweed $14.99 and $17.99 respectively. I saw a lot of people wanting these beer so I thought I’d mention it.

chrismattlin likes this.
  7. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (328) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

I know most people would be unenthusiastic to hear about Great Lakes’ new year-round addition IPA hitting distro this coming week, but I must say...it’s pretty damn good.

No estery English ale yeast flavor, no cloying specialty malts. Just some California ale and 2-row. Tons of pungent aromatics from cryo hops (believe it or not!). Definitely a step in the right direction, even if a little late.

8. ClePaul

Brew Kettle is cool and all... But how about that free Gin Blossoms show!? Haha... Kidding. So 5,000 sq feet. I’m guessing it’s just going to be a satellite location. Seems too small to brew on premises. Still better than BJ’s or whatever the name of that commercial stand alone brewery is in front on the mall.

tepie likes this.
  9. miketd

miketd Zealot (518) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Trader

I guess Brew Kettle abandoned their plan to build a bigger space in Strongsville. No big loss, as I almost never feel like going there anyway; the atmosphere is terrible

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  10. ClePaul

For me, I think they need to bring something new to the table. White Rajah can only bring me in the door so many times. The rest of their beers are ok, to good. But honestly, not all that super memorable to me. Crazy to think they make one outstanding beer. Then not much else.

tepie and mambossa like this.
  11. miketd

miketd Zealot (518) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Trader

I love Jackhammer and BA Jackhammer, but yea, the list is usually uninspiring. Aside from that, the place feels like a funeral to me

12. jampics2

jampics2 Meyvn (1,462) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Trader

Babee bock is incredible. Replaced Rajah as my go-to.

13. mambossa

Society

Been a minute since I’ve been, but Lupulo Libre has always been super underrated IMO. Even though a lot of times I’ve been, their house beers have been slim, but they seem to always have pretty solid guest taps.

14. ClePaul

I have to retry Libre. I remember being really excited about it. Then being let down. It's been a while since I picked up a BK brew. I'll have to revisit them.

15. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,589) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Lupulo is inconsistent and none of thr bottles I’ve had are equal to draft (ala Great Lakes). It is always a good beer though. When I went there for the CBS pours a few years ago that batch was insane. Every bit as good as Ju Ju.

Black Rajah is a great beer for the style too, but it’s not a popular style. Jackhammer is good. Dark Helmet is decent. I agree though. Their Helles and most others are disappointing. I stopped buying any of their products as long as they refuse to bottle date.

redrocker, chrismattlin and mambossa like this.
  16. mambossa

Society

I was really saddened this year when I got a sixer of Black Rajah and it was pretty damn oxidized.

The lack of dates are what keep me from buying them most times. They have a packaged on date on their cases but not the bottles. I emailed them about it and they said they’re getting a laser dater very soon. I sent that email 2 years ago....

17. tepie

tepie Initiate (78) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

Brew kettle dates are on the case box, if I don’t see the box I don’t buy either. Lupe Libre is great on draft. But there is a lot just sitting on floors from last year. Rajah is a great fridge filler along with head hunter.

When is bodhi going to six packs by the way? =)

Dan_Bowman, marcus23 and ClePaul like this.
  18. ClePaul

Boss Tweed on tap at Heinens. Willoughby for sure. Guessing other locations as well.

19. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Defender (691) May 10, 2014 Ohio

Loveland Cappy's down near Cincy says they're having a Columbus Brewing launch party this coming Friday. Is this my dream finally coming true; is CBC really rolling out in the 'Nati? If so, I've been waiting forever for this and I am. so. happy.

GOBLIN likes this.
  20. ClePaul

It's true... Was in the 'New To Ohio' thread that got derailed.

chrismattlin likes this.
  21. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (243) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

So, for the many of you that have had both Hop JuJu and Bodhi...how do they compare? What’s your preference? Asking for a friend...:wink:

GOBLIN likes this.
  22. mambossa

Society

So, I may be an exception since I spent January and most of February dry, so my palate is basically at baseline. Fortunately I’ve had both of them recently.

Hop Juju was really aggressive to me this year (had it on draft). It’s definitely for those whose hop tolerance is well-established, but it lacked a lot of complexity like previous years and just tasted like straight alpha acid and hop resin. Maybe I’ll have to revisit it.

Bodhi is a little more focused and approachable. A little more malt sweetness and body, but a good rounded grapefruit and ripe tropical citrus.

If you want a real fucking hop blast, Juju is for you. If you want to lean towards a more balanced and moderately “explosive” flavor, Bodhi is good for that.

That’s just me, I remember being blown away by Juju the past few years, so it may be just my palate.

SteelPenguin and Hoos78 like this.
  23. lotgod

Trader

Vintage Estates has had it on tap since Thursday of last week. I can't believe its lasted that long.

24. SteelPenguin

SteelPenguin Initiate (56) Jul 19, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Boss Tweed was also on tap at VE in Boardman over the weekend. Also there are quite a few brews left over from Saturday's Listermann tap takeover.

Imo, Listermann is killing it with their BA stuff.

chrismattlin likes this.
  25. lotgod

Trader

The Listerman Double Vanilla Imperial Chikow! was as good or possibly better than Marshmallow Hanjee...

26. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Aspirant (293) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Well one is an imperial brown ale bordering on barleywine and the other is a massive imperial stout

chrismattlin likes this.
  27. neelonjm

neelonjm Initiate (64) Jul 13, 2015 Ohio

So not only has Nut Smasher hit distro at some places, it’s hit distro before the bottle release on Sunday. Maybe not the best business move...

RUinOhio, tepie, marcus23 and 2 others like this.
  28. ClePaul

Keep it easy.... Sneaking suspicion someone got the last thread shut down for slander. Which would be false. We were just discussing facts. I don’t know who that newb was. But I could probably hazard to guess.

WesMantooth and GuyFawkes like this.
  29. neelonjm

I wasn’t trying to start anything, but this would be the first time it’s ever hit distro, which I thought was surprising. You’d think the shops would have a gag order on selling it until the event is over on Sunday.

tepie likes this.
  30. ClePaul

‘Hand over my mouth emoji’

I wasn’t really talking about you personally. Just the thread in general. Where did you see it at? Asking for a friend of coarse. I’m jk.... Although, I am admittedly torn. For all we know, it COULD be the last batch of Nutshasher (as we know it at least) hate to give them the support after all I heard. But would be really tuff for me to pass if I stumbled across it in the wild. Don’t tell me, I would rather not know.

mambossa and WesMantooth like this.
  31. WesMantooth

Trader

Certainly not the barrel aged though?....

32. neelonjm

No, not the barrel aged.

WesMantooth likes this.
  33. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Initiate (119) Apr 11, 2010 Ohio

I totally agree with the Brew Kettle dates. I don't buy anything from them unless I see the case date. Rajah has been around for so long and produced in such quantities that it won't / doesn't sell quickly so you never know how old it is (same story with Head Hunter IMO - granted we have dates with HH).

The Bodhi six packs... is that something in the works or rumored?

tepie likes this.
  34. tcorder219

tcorder219 Initiate (39) Mar 11, 2008 Ohio

Answer: neither

35. jdoncbus

jdoncbus Disciple (373) Jun 17, 2006 Ohio

4 is the magic number.

36. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (243) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Any word on when the 15-packs (cans) of Sunshine Daydream are going to start showing up at retail establishments?

tepie likes this.
  37. SteelCranium

SteelCranium Initiate (90) Jul 1, 2010 Ohio

Any clues for the hops for wanderer v4? Had a brew in Sarasota a few weeks ago made with Zappa hops and wondered... would make an interesting base for the wanderer.

38. lotgod

Trader

Old Nation cans have finally hit Youngstown.

chrismattlin likes this.
  39. taalhiker

taalhiker Initiate (81) Aug 26, 2008 Ohio
    Trader

Funkwerks bottles have been spotted around Dayton. Saison, Tropic King, White and Raspberry Provincial 6pks so far. Ohio and Kentucky are supposed to get 6 packs, draft and variety 12 packs.

40. WesMantooth

Trader

Sounds like the ones I saw in a mixed 12 yesterday. $20. They are 330ml bottles.