News Budweiser Introducing Bowtie-Shaped Cans

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,782) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

“ …but they also have highly successful campaigns” OK, I am game. What sustainable (i.e., a long lasting effort) campaign has the AB InBev Marketing Guys done?

I am aware where there have been short term ‘blips’ but I can’t recall anything that was successful in the long term (that has been implemented recently).

Cheers!

2. BeastLU

BeastLU Disciple (326) Dec 20, 2012 Virginia

Seriously? They sell more beer than anyone in the world. "Successful in the long term" and "implemented recently" are two terms that can't go together to begin with. They have had some of the most popular and successful commercials in the last 20 years. Bud Light lime is huge. As is lime a Rita and bud light platinum.

I'm not an AB fan boy but don't be ignorant and say they never do anything right.

ryhayes likes this.
  3. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

How could it have possibly taken 3 years to develop?

Givemebeer likes this.
  4. JackHorzempa

Supporter

AB InBev has consistently lost market share in the US over the past few years:

“ …the Belgium-based brewing giant also confirmed Thursday that Budweiser's volume in the U.S. shrank for the 23rd straight year in 2011…”

“Bud Light lime is huge. As is lime a Rita and bud light platinum” These is indeed short term pluses but I am not convinced these beers/beverages will have staying power; what I referred to as “sustainable (i.e., a long lasting effort) campaign” in my previous post.

Cheers!

5. OldhouseRecs

OldhouseRecs Disciple (321) Aug 3, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'm excited for the 25 ounce cans. Always wanted just one more ounce. My prayers have been answered

mfnmbvp likes this.
  6. Vitacca

Vitacca Devotee (431) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

The bowling pin bottles were better!!

Spikester likes this.
  7. GottaHaveMyHops

GottaHaveMyHops Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2013 Minnesota

Too many SKUs ahhhh. I work in beer stock and this will be such a hassle. The shape of the cans looks hardly sturdy... Probably gonna be mopping up alot of smelly Bud when they get stacked too high and implode from the bottom.

8. DanK4

DanK4 Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Maine

“This can is certainly a conversation starter: eye-catching, easy-to-grip, trendy and – according to our research – very appealing to young adults,” McGauley said

Choice can of high school parties everywhere, Budweiser. Now you can look even more hip and cool while drinking under the bleachers during gym class! Drunk girls fear not! Easier than ever to grip! No more dropping that just opened beer and spilling it all over the floor- say goodbye to "Party Fouls"! More eye catching than a tall boy of bud in the cup holder of your red '86 F-150! Less calories! (I had nothing snarky to add to that last one, I think it pretty much speaks for itself..)

MIngmire likes this.
  9. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2012 Nevada
    Beer Trader

I'm sure that denting indicates something is wrong and the contents might taste spoiled or be infected. This problem is now solved. Because you won't be able to tell a difference with this particular product. Ta Da.

10. decimator

decimator Zealot (572) Jun 1, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

Add some glow in the dark paint details on the can and a free mini glow stick in every case.

11. t420o

t420o Zealot (549) Jul 16, 2009 Colorado

What is this, a line of blow and a sideways Bud can?

mdillon86, DanK4, MIngmire and 3 others like this.
  12. lsummers

lsummers Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 California

Hopefully it still fits in my cars cup holder

Spaghett likes this.
  13. biercycle

biercycle Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

This has to be a joke right? Is it April 1st again?

14. Stinkypuss

Stinkypuss Poo-Bah (4,018) Apr 7, 2008 Pennsylvania

If they could only invest in making good beer....sigh*

15. robwater

robwater Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2012 Colorado

Add a string and it doubles as a yo-yo.

DanK4 likes this.
  16. Spaghett

Spaghett Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 California

If it's one thing I can't stand it's cylindrical drinking vessels! So I call the Budweiser President up and I sayz:
    "Look pal I'm tryin' to drink my Bud but I got short, stubby fingers and I can't grasp it. Now that's your problem!"
    And they sayz:
    "We understand sir. We have something you might be interested in...but it's a really expensive prototype. Do you happen to like bow ties?"
    "Of course."
    "Eeeehyer gunnalike watcha see here bud"

So thank you AB your consideration and listening to the consumer.
    Peace.

17. MIngmire

MIngmire Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2013 Missouri

Or throw in two sticks and you have one of the plastic things you have to balance on the sticks.

robwater likes this.
  18. BlowstotheBody

BlowstotheBody Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 Florida

They're trying to cash in on the hipster market with the bowtie design. PBR just needs a can shaped like a peacoat or black rimmed glasses and it's game over.

checktherhyme likes this.
  19. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (318) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

I hate to see an Iconic American Brand trivialized. If I drink BMC, it is Budweiser.

20. sbrotschul

sbrotschul Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2011 New Jersey

The success of Black Crown? Did I miss something?

Oh, wait. I didn't.

MIngmire likes this.
  21. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I need a *facepalm* emoticon. No wonder some don't take beer seriously with gimmicks like this.
    All filler, no killer is what this.

22. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Illinois

LOL this shit needs to stop. Can you imagine the meetings for this?

mfnmbvp likes this.
  23. Benish

Benish Champion (862) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Best comment of the day!

24. NYRfan4ever

NYRfan4ever Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2009 New Jersey

Its amazing how lame these macro breweries are. The lengths they will go to are just amazingly lame. Whats worse then this is the coors light commercials with those climbers, its just sad hahaha. #craftbeer

25. Benish

Benish Champion (862) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

How do you hold that can? It's awkward.

26. brikelly

brikelly Aspirant (269) Apr 11, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Haha Budweiser has a VP of Innovation.

27. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (318) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

This is a good example of the thinking of a global marketing company not a brewer.

28. Benny3000

Benny3000 Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Somewhere in Baltimore, Brother Mouzone is reading a Harpers and sipping on one of these.

29. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

It seems to me that AB InBev should stop making beer, and just become a container company. They could still be successful. Could you imagine the exposure they'd get when footage came back to Earth of the first manned mission landing on Mars in a Budweiser container?

30. GotWad629

GotWad629 Aspirant (229) Sep 14, 2010 New York

Still going to taste like piss

MIngmire likes this.
  31. JackHorzempa

Supporter

And for the next trick: a bottle of Bud with an attached crazy straw!

Cheers!

MostlyNorwegian likes this.
  32. Psychmusic

Psychmusic Disciple (365) Jun 22, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

with a little reworking this could be an excellent haiku

33. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Crusader (736) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Can't wait for the marketing and advertising hype for this new can. Is InBev trying to condition their customer base to expect a smaller amount of product for the same price?

34. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

I wonder how many morons are anxious for this to come out, and actually calling that phone # to try & find out where it will be sold.

smutty33 likes this.
  35. JackHorzempa

Supporter

“Is InBev trying to condition their customer base to expect a smaller amount of product for the same price?”

In my opinion the marketing people at AB InBev have a modus operandi of coming up with a series of initiatives for the US market for short term revenue growth. The market share of their ‘core’ products (e.g., Budweiser) has been steadily declining over the years. In order to make money they come up with new ‘stuff’ which will bring in revenue for a period of time. Some examples:

· Bud Lime was introduced in 2008. I would be very surprised if this beer is still being produced in 2018.
    · Bud Light Platinum was introduced last year (2012). An ‘interesting’ concept of marketing a diet beer with higher alcohol (6% ABV)
    · Budweiser Black Crown was introduced this year (2013). An American Amber Adjunct Lager with higher alcohol (6% ABV). Apparently if you like to dress in fashionable black clothing you want to drink this beer?
    · Beck’s Saphir was introduced this year (2013). It is brewed in St. Louis and is also 6% ABV. “Presented in a stylish black bottle, sure to be a hit with young and trendy men, the new Beck’s Sapphire beer is made with German Saphir hops and is said to be inspired by sapphire gemstones.” Does ‘black’ really sell that well?
    · Bud Light Lime-rita and Bud Light Straw-ber-rita. These sound like malt alternative beverages to me (Alcopops). They are 8% ABV. Will these beverages last on the market as long as Zima did?

So, some trends I observe:

· It seems that ‘black’ is a popular marketing thing: Budweiser Black Crown, a black bottle for Beck’s Saphir.
    · Alcohol levels seem to be increasing: 6% ABV for the latest beers and 8% for the malt alternative beverages. What is AB InBev’s new ‘motto’ for the US market: Get your buzz on!?!
    · AB InBev is charging more for the above products so they will make more money (revenue & profit) on a per unit basis. So, even if their volume (volume if typically measured in barrels in the beer business) is stagnant or declining (like it has been lately) they can still state they are making more money.

So, it appears that the new strategy is to obtain more revenue (obtain more profit) on stagnant or declining market share vs. a business initiative of growing their sales volume. The new can design for Budweiser seems consistent to this strategy: make more money on a per unit basis.

Cheers!

36. Volsdawg10

Volsdawg10 Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 Mississippi

Cool, yet so ridiculous and unnecessary.

37. SortaAmbivalent

SortaAmbivalent Disciple (324) Sep 11, 2005 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I bet that makes it taste INCREDIBLE!!!

38. Buxas

Buxas Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Pennsylvania

What makes anyone think that would get me do drink the swill they will put in it?

39. JackHorzempa

Supporter

I don’t think it is AB InBev’s plan to get you to drink Budweiser. It think it is AB InBev’s plan to get Budweiser drinkers to purchase an 8 pack of the new cans vs. a 6 pack of regular Budweiser cans. They will make more revenue on the new can (on a per unit basis). Below is my speculation on their pricing strategy (which I posted previously):

“I think the AB InBev marketing folks are counting on “people hate doing math”. They are changing two things: the amount of beer per can (11.3 ounces) and the format (8-packs). So the AB InBev folks are definitely going to charge more for an 8 pack vs. a 6 pack. I would bet that they do something like this:

· 6 pack of 12 ounce cans: $7.00 per 6-pack
    · 8 pack of 11.3 ounce cans: $9.33 per 8-pack (or maybe round off to $9.50)

The typical beer consumer (who doesn’t like math, remember) will rationalize that the 8 pack need to cost more since it has two extra cans. The next result is more profit for AB InBev.”

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.