News Budweiser Introducing Bowtie-Shaped Cans

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Disciple (326) Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

This is a dream come true.
    Thank you natural progression.

2beerdogs likes this.
  2. BLACKENEDPLAGUE

BLACKENEDPLAGUE Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Ohio

Looks like hell tbh

3. nlmartin

nlmartin Meyvn (1,468) Jul 26, 2005 Ohio

Dam thought Bud was producing a full flavored beer.

2beerdogs likes this.
  4. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (1,755) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Attention AB/Inbev and MillerCoors: people are not passing on your AAL's because of the delivery vessel; they pass because of the taste. Ever hear if an adage that says something like "stick to what you are good at"? I suggest fewer packages for the poor delivery guy to roll, rotate and face; more focus on gaining market share within the populace that prefers an easy pounding AAL. Just sayin'.

5. Brad007

Brad007 Poo-Bah (3,341) Mar 28, 2007 Vermont

I don't mean to be the stereotypical Bud basher but I don't understand the appeal of these cans. I can make them into that shape with my hand. Why is it so special?

Ditto for the new Sam Adams can design.

6. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

7. Prh27

Prh27 Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2012 Virginia

This can was in development since 2010? Looks like they finally cracked the code.

8. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2012 California

0.7 less oz. and about 8.5 less calories, good deal!

9. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (582) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I'd be annoyed by this if I thought for a second that my boss was gonna put these on the shelves at work. Fortunately, he didn't even bite on Black Crown, which has really pissed off our A-B distributor. It seems like it was a smart move, too, as I see piles of Black Crown 12 pks just collecting dust at grocery stores around town. It's pretty amazing to see how far the core Budweiser brand has fallen in the last five years. It's also really funny. Budweiser: the only thing delicious about it are the tears of unfathomable sizes rolling down the cheeks of their marketing department with every flop they poop out.

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  10. tonton

tonton Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Hong Kong

AB could introduce a can made out of gold, and I still wouldn't drink it. Pour out the contents and sell the can for scrap? Yes. If that required drinking it? No, thanks. I'd sooner drink pickle juice. Honestly.

11. tonton

tonton Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Hong Kong

The only thing good about Budweiser is the Japanese racing girls in those hot tube dresses.

blivingston1985 and baconman91 like this.
  12. DrunkethWizard

DrunkethWizard Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 California

AB is making so much damn money, they've got to spend it somehow. Why not on something totally pointless?

13. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,387) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

If you don't change or make the product better you change the vessel. Marketing genius, the fact they are #1 in beer sales by far and don't sell a great product tells the story. Kinda like McDonald's, I think their stuff is the worst fast food available, but kids meals, happy meals, crappy 10 cent toys and they sell the hell out of the stuff. BTW I do think Michelob is pretty decent, and they've had that distinctive shape forever, fits easy into the hand, maybe that generated the bowtie can.

14. bmwats

bmwats Meyvn (1,416) Sep 20, 2006 Louisiana

maybe they should go with toilet shaped cans

baconman91 and Timceattle like this.
  15. stain3000

stain3000 Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2010 Ohio

You won't be seeing this on my shelves anytime soon.

16. SpongeRuiner

SpongeRuiner Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Brother Bluto couldn't have said it better himself.

BanditoJunkie and tectactoe like this.
  17. Sparty2014

Sparty2014 Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2013 Michigan

If they could squeeze it down enough so that it contained no Bud it would be a huge improvement.

Spikester likes this.
  18. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (2,546) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

You're putting down pickle juice here.

19. MES10

MES10 Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2013 Maryland

Bud went with a bow tie shaped can because a sphincter shaped can would just be too obvious.

OregonGrown7 likes this.
  20. Gunch43

Gunch43 Aspirant (268) Jan 15, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Dear AB,

Stop investing research money in your bottles and cans, its not those things that suck.

Cheers!

21. DrowsyBen

DrowsyBen Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2013 California

What is it with shitty beer companies worrying about their cans, just make good beer

iCabaLLero and baconman91 like this.
  22. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (1,787) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Is this a serious article or a joke?
    "The proprietary can, in development since 2010......To make the new can possible, Anheuser-Busch engineers needed to solve a number of technical challenges................ .Creating the can requires a 16-step process – 10 steps to form the bottom half of the can, with an additional six steps to form the top portion. "

A bow tie shaped can! And even more innovative, making a 24 oz beer into a 25 oz beer! Geniuses I tell you, all of them!
    It really baffles me that they likely spent millions of dollars coming up with, and then implementing, the groundbreaking idea to increase their large beers by one ounce.

23. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,220) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Yeah, look at Oskar Blues and their use of Ball's then-new "Imperial Pint" (568ml) can - 7.2 more ounces!
    Now that's innovation.

lackenhauser likes this.
  24. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

Let's not fool ourselves here: the majority of people here have probably written off any BMC product regardless of the container it's served in. If you truly believe that you would buy any new product that one of those breweries produces because you heard they suddenly made Budweiser taste better, I'm guessing you're in the vast minority. And it's not necessarily about the beer - I know lots of people here prefer to avoid macros simply because they'd rather give their money to their neighbors or other people in the same general income range, not someone with a private jet and a beach house. Heck, just look at the people who won't even buy Goose Island - a brewery whose offerings they've admitted enjoying - just because of ownership.

Big Beer isn't won by taste; it's won by brand loyalty. It's not about what the beer tastes like, it's about an image. A lifestyle. A brand. If Budweiser tweaked their recipe year after year while keeping the same packaging and other breweries continued to offer the same familiar beer with tweaks to things like can/bottle shape, Bud would be losing costumers left and right.

We can all laugh at bow tie shaped cans until our sides hurt. I'm not laughing, though. The guy who came up with that idea is probably worth more than I'll make in the next twenty years. And I just don't see the humor in that.

25. Jason

Jason Founder (7,998) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Subscriber

Todd and I made our own bowtie cans a while back ... close enough.

[​IMG]

Spikester and DesMoinesMike like this.
  26. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,777) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

I just gotta ask: did you drink those beers?

Cheers!

Geuzedad likes this.
  27. Curry

Curry Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2003 Montana

That was my thought, as well, when I first saw the promo picture: Looks like a can I've already finished.

28. nachos

nachos Initiate (95) Jun 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

A generic insult about Budweiser to make me feel better about being an overweight nerd with a neckbeard

Seriously though, I see lots of people saying "make your beer better Budweiser." Why should Bud change their recipe? It already sells quite well. When your customers are happy with your beer why change it? What's a bigger target audience, beer turds or working men who just want a cold Bud? When your customers are satisfied with the product, all you are left to experiment with is packaging and advertising, thus, the bow tie cans.

FTowne likes this.
  29. DesMoinesMike

DesMoinesMike Champion (816) Mar 23, 2008 Iowa
    Beer Trader

They'll probably charge more for the lower-volume can.

30. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

I love BMC threads on a craft beer forum, we can sit back and laugh...but they really don't care what we think.

A comment like "people don't drink your beer because it is shitty, the can has nothing to do with it" is funny to me considering AB/InBev sell more beer than anyone else in the world.

I actually wonder why we even pay attention.

31. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (1,658) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

WTFC= Who the F*%K Cares

32. Todd

Todd Founder (5,425) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

Of course we did; they were ice old, refreshing and a quick appetizer while we waited for our Whiskey Sours.

33. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,777) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Todd, it has been a very long time (7 years?) since I drank a Bud. I noticed at a local beer store they had 8 packs of the Bud Bow Tie cans for $6.99. Eight 11.3 ounce cans are more than a six-pack of 12 ounce beers and 7 bucks is an ‘attractive’ price. I will admit that I did not have the ‘fortitude’ to buy that beer.

You and Jason are da men!?!:confused:

Cheers!

34. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

Wait, we're beer turds now? I had to double-check the hyperlink to this page to make sure I wasn't logged onto turdvocate.com...

nachos likes this.
  35. Jason

Jason Founder (7,998) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Subscriber

With Whiskey Sours ... the only way.

36. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Devotee (472) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

I get it, you are some how funny. Unfortunately, what you posted really does not pertain to this website!

37. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Aspirant (255) Feb 14, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Everyone on this site has bought a beer or a soft drink or a bag of gummy bears because of the packaging. To some degree it is more important than flavor or cost. Bud, coors, and pabst have a market out there in the beer world and if they are trying something different to sell their product I don't think it's fair to ridicule them when like I said everyone on this site has bought something because of packaging.

38. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (582) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

But the problem is that they're losing customers at an admittedly alarming rate. At this point they have no clue what to do, so the solution is a gimmicky can? Brilliant.

Also, your animosity towards the craft beer community -- complete with lazy stereotypes -- is cool beans.

39. Weisse-DunkleWeizenFan

Weisse-DunkleWeizenFan Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2013 Illinois

ab only sells so much beer because its customers are ignorant of what great beer is!!! ab was "inplace" to brew beer the DAY Prohibition ended & was blessed with a GREAT geographical location. Add to this great promotion & an unabashed willingness to sell the American public a bill-of-goods as to what constitutes a great beer, as long as profits continued to roll in! & dont forget that ALOT of people simply buy Bud because its CHEAP!!! i.e....frat bros...the homeless! As the American beer drinker becomes more enlightened as to what truly makes a great beer & realizes that Bud isnt in THAT universe, well AB market share will continue to plummet!!! In the future AB profits will resemble the cheap whore ab has always been, & go down...down...down..........................................

40. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,220) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

There were around 150 US breweries that were licensed, brewing and ready to sell beer on April 7, 1933 when the Volstead Act was amended to allow 3.2 abw beer to be sold, with only approx. 20 states having changed their laws in time to allow it. By the end of the year, when full National Prohibition ended with the enactment of the 21st Amendment in Dec. (and as other states repealed their prohibitions laws in the interim) there were probably a couple hundred more breweries up and running.

While there is no doubt that A-B's former flagship brand, Budweiser, has lost market share in the past 25 years or so (going from nearly a quarter of the US market, to around 8% today) but that does not mean Anheuser-Busch's total company market share has "plummeted" along with it.

Bud Light absorbed most of Bud's old market obviously, and became AB's best seller around a decade ago - and has since been the #1 beer in the US with almost 1 in 5 US beers being BL. AB's share of the US beer market hit 45% in the mid-1990's (when there were still 6 major US "macros" - not today's 2) and they've pretty much stagnated in the mid-high 40s since then. Last year, they had 46.3% of the US market. Not much growth, a few points up or (more often) down in the 2000s but "plummet"? Nope.

nachos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.