Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bulk or bottle age

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ipas-for-life, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Disciple (347) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Brewing a stout this weekend and shooting for a 1.085 OG. I am planning to let it sit in the primary 3-4 weeks. Would you bottle it straight from primary and let it bottle condition for awhile or use a secondary to bulk age for a month before bottling? If bulk aging is the way to go will I need to add more yeast at the time of bottling? Thanks

2. brewsader

brewsader Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

if you're only bulk-aging for a month you'd be fine on the yeast. you might not get much change out of it over a month, so you might want to go a little longer (at least two) but unless you go several times longer than that, you should still have enough yeast in suspension assuming you pitched a healthy amount to begin with.

3. premierpro

premierpro Disciple (384) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan

For big beers I like to bottle condition for no other reason then to have one less step.

4. HopNuggets

HopNuggets Disciple (306) Oct 8, 2009 Connecticut

I just did an Impy Stout that was around the same gravity you are shooting for. 4 weeks in primary and bottled two 22oz bombers with carb drops. I bulk aged the rest for 5 months on 2oz American Medium Plus Toast Oak Cubes that I soaked in Makers Mark. I bottled it w/ a sachet of Muntons Generic Ale yeast since it was so long on the oak. Basically what I'm saying is that I cracked a bomber of the Impy Stout this past weekend after 6-7 months in the bottle and it was delicious! The bourbon oaked version is very tasty too but the regular version is very delicious as well (no secondary).

I pitched a 2L Started Stepped up with another 2L Starter, so there was plenty of yeast for that beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.