Burners Bayou Classic SP 10 vs SQ 14

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by inchrisin, May 4, 2013.

1. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

I just sold my KAB4 because I'm going through way too much propane. I'm looking to buy a Bayou Classic SP 10 or an SQ 14. Has anyone been around both to help differentiate the two? I brew 5 gallon batches most of the time. I've got a 15 gal 20'' diameter pot. So here's what I'm looking for in order:

- 5+ batches of beer off a 20# propane tank
    - Brings 6.5 gallons of wort to a boil (from mash temp) in ~15-20 min
    - Can handle 12 gal of wort if I decide to do a 10 gal batch. This is rare and it's ok if it struggles a little)
    - I don't have to tweak the valve every three minutes to prevent a boil over. The KAB4 was a real bitch
    - Unless I decide to build a tier system, this has to be the end-all-be-all burner for me.

Any thoughts?

2. jlpred55

jlpred55 Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

I have an SP10 and use it exactly the way you are desiring. It works like a champ and you don't need to screw with the valve constantly. Never used the 14 personally but have helped a buddy brew that has one and it seemed ok.

3. inchrisin

Does the SP10 come standard with a 10PSI regulator? Also, how much propane do you go through in 60 minutes?

4. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Jul 29, 2012 Connecticut

5. jlpred55

jlpred55 Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

It does. I get 5 batches out of a tank with a 60 min boil. The key is to not crank it up full bore. It can get a boil going without that. Then lower the flame for a nice rolling boil.

inchrisin likes this.
  6. Mfedonczak

Mfedonczak Aug 18, 2008 Texas

Same here. The key is lowering the flame once the boil starts. When I left it cranked up I would only get around 3.5 batches per tank and boilover was worse.

jlpred55 likes this.
  7. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

As long as you're in the market for a new burner anyway, natural gas will solve all of your problems! It's waaaaaaay cheaper than propane (80-90% cheaper is typical in my neck of the woods), 12.5 gallons from mash to boil in 10 minutes (depends on the burner), and 'batches per tank' is a meaningless concept. The only downside is lack of portability.

kjyost likes this.
  8. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

I like my SP10. It's very efficient, good for 4-5 10 gallon batches. The only drawback is that if you have a converted keggle, it won't sit on the SP10 without some modification. An old outdoor grill grating on top of the burner works well.

inchrisin likes this.
  9. inchrisin

I really like this idea or I wish they did NG the same way that they did propane. I'd hate to see the bill of someone running a line from the house to the garage. Where do you even end the line, a tier?

10. Bubbalito

Bubbalito Jan 2, 2012 Virginia

Awesome thread! Thanks for the link, I just bought one. I have been indoors for the past year (we have a pretty good gas burner with a power boil setting) it takes almost 45 minutes to get a good boil going. I am soo stoked to get outside and save some time.

GeckoPunk likes this.
  11. mikehartigan

Not sure what you mean by "I wish they did NG the same way that they did propane". I already had a quick disconnect on the back of my house for the grill, so NG for my brewery was a no-brainer (though I'm only about 10' from the fireplace igniter, so it would have been only a few $$$ to extend NG to the patio even if it wasn't already there). When I got this burner, I bought a matching QD for $15-ish and a few bucks for 12' of 1/2"gas hose.

12. GeckoPunk

Just finished a Sierra Nevada clone using that burner about an hour ago... Dayum does it heat up quick! I LOVE the jet burner sound it makes too... ~*~Tim Taylor Grunt~*~ :D

13. GoGators

GoGators Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I have been looking at both these burners also and contacted Bayou about the differences just the other day.
    The SP10 has a 4" burner, the SQ14 a 6" burner.
    Both put out 55,000 BTU's though.
    The SP10 has a wind guard, the SQ 14 does not.
    The Bayou rep said both models would bring something to a boil in the same amount of time although the bigger burner distributes the heat differently. She recommended the bigger burner (SQ14) if only using it to brew beer since the distribution of heat is more conducive to large boils.
    There is also a new model SQ84 which is basically the SQ14 with a wind screen.
    http://bayouclassicdirect.com/Bayou-Brew-CookerSQ84

inchrisin likes this.
  14. GeckoPunk

A
    I would buy the SP10 and get a Stainless Steel pot with an Aluminum false bottom (which essentially will distribute the heat perfectly fine)... That is my setup and has yet to fail me. :D It is when you don't have the false bottom where you will experience poor distribution and sorched sugars/extracts/etc...

GoGators likes this.
  15. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

Haven't used an SP10, but I use SQ-14s for HLT and BK (both keggles), and the burner works nicely. I can get a rolling boil going quickly and then dial it way back and maintain a good boil. The thing I really like is that the kegs sit very securely on the square stand.

16. inchrisin

Just that they had exchanges and 20#/5gal tanks of natural gas at gas stations. It would be nice if everyone could convert their turkey fryer burners too. I don't think that's so easy and it sounds like you need one of the Blichmann burners to pull it off.

I'm glad it wasn't so hard for you to do. I'd have to figure out how to run the line from the furnace to the outside, or from wherever it comes in to the back yard. I just had a guy out here for a sump pump trying to charge me $400 labor for 15 minutes of labor. Needless to say, I told him I'd do it myself. I don't want to think of what the gas guys would charge for a couple hours of work. :)

17. fistfight

fistfight Jan 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The lack of wind shield on the SQ14 can be a pain on windy days. Otherwise, though, it's a great burner. The bigger size of the head when compared to the SP10 is nice in that it should scorch less. That SQ84 listed above looks awesome. I wish it had existed when I bought the SQ14.

18. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

You can make a windshield that will fit on the SQ14 burner out of a metal pipe reducer or ducting collar or something and some metal snips. Here's an example: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-bayou-classic-sq14-windscreen-addition-330988/

19. clearbrew

clearbrew Nov 3, 2009 Louisiana

The advantage is that you don't have to swap tanks.
    If switching to natural gas is something you are seriously interested in, it's usually very easy to do. I'm sure myself and many others here can talk you through.
    I just added a "T" and piece of pipe onto the drip leg of my meter, and that was it. The whole thing took about 1/2 hour.

20. mikehartigan

That would kind of defeat the advantages of NG - an endless supply without driving somewhere to buy more, and the fact that you're saving 80-90% on fuel (ymmv).
    I simply bought a NG burner instead of a propane burner. It was a no-brainer. Cost about $25 for the burner, itself. The price of the stand is the same either way.

21. fistfight

fistfight Jan 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

22. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Apr 13, 2002 Georgia
    Beer Trader

23. Bubbalito

Bubbalito Jan 2, 2012 Virginia

Bam, look what the UPS man delivered today!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Looks so swanky with my kettle:
    [​IMG]

utahbeerdude and mikehartigan like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe