Buyer's (Trader's) Remorse stories

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Beer_Economicus, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (341) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

It seems like lately there are some absolutely crazy offers going around for several beers. Some of these beers (Such as the Wakefield), as I understand it, are beers that may be fantastic for small quantities, but less for larger consumption. This got me thinking...

I was wondering if anyone has had a sample of a particular beer at a fest, share etc., and said "Wow, I gotta have that!" Then, after spending some time hunting for it, trading, and then consuming it said, "Damn, sooooo not worth it."

I Don't care if you "paid" fair market value in a trade, over traded, under. -And whether this was a whale or any other beer.

I would just like to hear everyone's story. I'm still a bit young in my craft career, and so I do not have one of these of my own (yet). However, I was very glad that I did not have to work hard to get to try CBS this year, because...It would not have been worth what it was trading for "pre" to me. These stories seem like they might keep one humble.

Vidblain likes this.
  2. Blackop555

Blackop555 Meyvn (1,153) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan
    Premium Trader

To be honest hype never tastes as good as you expect it to. For every top 100 Beer there's probably at least ten equivalents.

3. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Aspirant (275) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Trader

This, 100%. I don't think I've had a worth-hundreds-of-dollars beer yet that was any more than 5% better than a thousand beers that no one goes crazy over.

There's been a few that I won't name, but nothing's worse than trading for a great bottle, sitting on it for a couple months, then having it gush when you open it. OK, I will name one: one of the waxed Pirate Noirs a couple years back. Broke my heart.

4. cmukid87

cmukid87 Aspirant (205) Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Yes. Traded an out of market, brewery only from a fairly popular brewery that had very good ratings for a 4 pack of the international version of CBS. I have a lot of 750ml of CBS already but not being able to get any of the 12oz gave me some good ol' FOMO.

KevSal, Number1Framer and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  5. Vidblain

Vidblain Crusader (722) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Premium Trader

A local retailer has a "cellar shelf" that he occasionally stocks with great stuff - I grabbed a 2008 Bourbon County 12oz from the shelf for entirely too much money. Opened and shared it with friends at a pre-holiday share... the overwhelming taste was cardboard. Tremendously oxidized.

The store owner had talked up the beer at length, saying it was the very best Bourbon County ever and should have aged like a champ. I was fairly upset about it. No more vintage BCBS for me! I trade away anything more than just a few years old. I'd still like to try some of those older variants, but I'm not nearly so thrilled about them anymore.

6. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,807) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

I wouldn't get too down on old BCS. The 2012 is still one of the best beers I've ever had (last time was about a year ago). Once you get back to 2008 & previous, those were the old twist-off caps, & there have been quite a few people noting that these caps just don't protect the beer as well.

And if you're looking to offload any 2012/2013 BCS, you know where to find me. :grin:

ROXONE and Beer_Economicus like this.
  7. Vidblain

Premium Trader

I have just one 2012, but I'll share it with you next time I see you! :grin: I'm still trying to tick those blanks in my BCBS history - still looking for a '10 and an '11. I'll call it quits there!

Boldbrew and maximum12 like this.
  8. montman

montman Disciple (353) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Yeah I mean, I wouldn't say I had "remorse" but this was the case for me trading for VR. Don't get me wrong, it was excellent and I enjoyed every bit of it thoroughly, but I am not sure the payoff was worth all the trouble, it wasn't magical. haha.

I guess its not exactly in line with OP's thread as I don't regret it, but I wouldn't trade for it again.

Blackop555 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  9. not2quick

not2quick Initiate (128) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

I traded quite a bit to land a MD last year. After drinking it, I realized that it was nothing special. Non BA maple coffee stouts are a dime a dozen these days. But now I can say I have tried the legendary beer.

JFresh21, cp45, Number1Framer and 3 others like this.
  10. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,000) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Back in 2012, when living in Florida, I traded for Sexual Chocolate. When I drank it, I was like "This is good, but why did I trade for this?"

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  11. Vitacca

Vitacca Defender (646) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Premium Trader

I traded away a VR for a FO batch 2, wish I could have that one back. In my early trade days, I traded away the majority of my CW 16's for god only knows what. That beer aged so damn well that now it's impossible to land one...argh!

12. pwdbyhops

pwdbyhops Initiate (145) Apr 1, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

I almost never feel bad if its a $4$ trade (e.g., if I do 3 whales for 1 big whale and a bunch of smaller solid brews at $4$). I know I would be remorseful if I did a straight up 3:1 because like everyone says, its almost never worth it. It sucks when someone just wants to use their uber whale to get hundreds of dollars of beer for free...but maybe that's a little off topic.

13. mythaeus

mythaeus Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania

Which batch did you trade for? If it was b3, then it wasn't worth it for sure. b2 was quite something else and was amazing for me (had it 3 times and I didn't have to give up anything unreasonable for it definitely helped). If Treehouse Good Morning ever comes out again, see if you can track that one down. That one was neck and neck with MD b2.

14. pwdbyhops

pwdbyhops Initiate (145) Apr 1, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

For my group, Good Morning blew B2 out of the water.

15. not2quick

Trader

B4

16. mythaeus

It was a split for the side by side at a share I had with GM. I preferred MDb2 over GM mainly due to the thicker mouthfeel. That was the 2nd time I had GM as well.

Ahhh...still haven't had that one. Heard it wasn't as good as the previous batches except b3. You must have traded early in the release because MDb4 didn't trade really well 3-4 weeks after the release.

17. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Isn't MD B4 still trading at the level of FO/Rare/Half a VR, or whatever relative pricing you prefer? I didn't think this had gone down any.

18. mythaeus

It was trading 1.5-2x as that after lottery winners were announced and trading started. Considering how previous batches were trading, b4 "value" after the initial trading is/was the worst of them all, even after accounting for smaller bottle size (same as B1, though).

19. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Ah, I gotcha.

I was going to say, the cost of admission for MD is pretty high (for me), so although I ended up getting to try one as a result of a very considerate friend and BA, I don't think I would have been able to otherwise. That's the reason I haven't gotten to try any of the Black Magik's. I'd love to, but they just feel pretty hard to obtain for me. People really like to use them to trade up, I have nothing to really trade down for to obtain 1 or more, and anything of equal value or where I'd need to bundle, it seems like it would just take the right set of eyes.

mythaeus likes this.
  20. calir1

calir1 Aspirant (203) Nov 7, 2004 Maryland

I wAs kinda new to trading at the time. I didn’t really know what I had but I traded a Russian River Toronado 20th for a Lost Abbey Red Poppy. Had no idea the Poppy was a 375 to the 20th 750. It was good but not worth the trade.

Good thing I had six 20ths. I drank one to sulk.

21. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (98) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Scored a Coffee Abraxas last summer and it sucked! Love regular Abraxas and this is the only variant of it I've ever had, but way too many flavors clashing for the spotlight and nothing about it tasted cohesive. Maybe the 6-8 months or so of age did it in? Far and away my priciest drain pour after dutifully sipping away at it for 2 nights...

22. not2quick

Trader

If you drank it during the summer it was way past due. Usually released in late October. Best before three months.

gibgink, Number1Framer and Vidblain like this.
  23. Number1Framer

Trader

I usually don't have an issue with old coffee stouts and even prefer KBS with about 6 months on it. A 2 year old Big Bad Baptist I had a couple months back was absolutely fantastic. With the Coffee Abraxas I didn't get any green pepper or any of that vegetal stuff people usually complain about with coffee beers that have turned the bend, it just didn't seem to gel for me. I'd try it again fresh given the chance, but no way I'd pay the trade rate for it again after my first experience. Back in November I stumbled across a 10 month old bottle of Sump at a store. It's over a year old at this point, so maybe I should crack it soon and see how bad/good that one held up...

Beer_Economicus and FFFjunkie like this.
  24. not2quick

Trader

Sump will hold up as a good stout, but people drink Sump because it is a coffee saturated bomb. At a year old the coffee will be very faded from my experience.

As far as coffee Abraxas, I feel the coffee is subtle anyway. So easier for the coffee to fade and give way to the other stronger adjuncts. Coffee wasn't too hard to get last year. reach out to me in early October and remind me. I should have no problem getting one for you.

gibgink, montman, 7irondave and 3 others like this.
  25. Number1Framer

Trader

Fair enough assessment. You've obviously had it many more times than I. If I still remember this conversation and to reach out to you 7 months from now I will do just that! Cheers!

OakvilleKGB and not2quick like this.
  26. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,384) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Back when I was a serial trader I never went after hype so much as the best small batch local IPA's and IIPA's from across the country, and the times I thought, 'damn the beer I sent is much better than this,' were more than a few.

27. stouts4everyone

stouts4everyone Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2016 Georgia

Assassin 16. Beer was cherry flavored. I'll never trade for TG again.

28. nograz

nograz Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Premium

You may have been had, there was not an Assasin 16.

ECCS likes this.
  29. Browntown35

Browntown35 Initiate (59) Dec 24, 2016 Minnesota

Purple wax is considered 2016.

Boldbrew and OakvilleKGB like this.
  30. nograz

nograz Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Premium

Dang, I checked one site quick and it listed it as 17. Joke failed. :slight_frown:

31. Browntown35

Browntown35 Initiate (59) Dec 24, 2016 Minnesota

Who knows, Assassin '16 was released in '17. Assassin '18 released in '18. Hard to keep up.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  32. Boldbrew

Boldbrew Initiate (125) Jun 26, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

My recent pre trade for Assassin '18, I went way over and now regret it...

Vidblain likes this.
  33. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Do you mind sharing what you mean? Are you just referring to your (personal) taste of it vs. what you paid, or ?

34. Boldbrew

Trader

In my mind I put too high of a value on aquiring an Assassin IP at the release. If I had waited I could have saved myself some bottles. Speaking $ for $ I was over quite a bit. The ratio was 7:1

35. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Ah, thanks!

I thought I saw your completed post as BA$$, Fat Joe, and MD (most recent) - 3:1.

Thanks for the response!

36. Boldbrew

Trader

Yeah, that was the trade I didn't regret!

Beer_Economicus and Vidblain like this.
  37. Boldbrew

Trader

To clarify (don't laugh too hard) the second trade I lined up for Saturday was:

BA $ticker $hock + Fat Joe + BCBS Reserve + Ground State '17 + (3) IPA Crowlers = (1) Assassin '18

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  38. Vidblain

Premium Trader

Ouch. The BA$$, Ground State, and Reserve hurt. Sorry, man!

Pre-trades suck - I always recommend against them, for a plethora of reasons.

OakvilleKGB and Boldbrew like this.
  39. Boldbrew

Trader

I let the greed cloud my decision-making!

Number1Framer and Vidblain like this.
  40. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Aspirant (280) May 13, 2014 California
    Trader

Generally, I simply don't trade away stuff that I really want to drink. As I look back, I've made some bad trades based on current value.

The one that really still upstets me is trading for Not Your Fathers Rootbeer a couple years ago. While I think I traded some Pliny for it, I still traded for it. SMH. It wasn't even the high proof stuff. <sigh>