Buying Dogfish Head 120

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Helenasman, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

the only thing that would even be remotely close is Devil Dancer, but thats a bit of a stretch.

2. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,389) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Trader

Sure it's totally different from 90 Minute, but so are a whole bunch of other DIPAs made by other breweries. That doesn't say much IMO. Just because DFH's Triple IPA (as a lot of people call it) is way different from it's Double IPA, it doesn't automatically mean it's not an IPA.

No problem, respectfully disagreeing is what's it's all about.

Every single barleywine I have ever had (I've had a bunch of them) has had a totally different malt profile. Much more intense dark ripe fruit, rich and dark malt, and hops flavors varying. I can't say that 120 has any of those characteristics. It's sweet, very sweet and hoppy, very hoppy, but it's not dark in any way, flavor or color and it's not really "rich" in flavor. Sweet, yes. rich, no. It just doesn't seem to fit barleywines.

Now this is the most compelling argument of all, and one I can't really refute except to say that the 10% thing is outdated. What about Double Crooked Tree, Unearthly and PtY? All are over 10%. If you put a gun to my head and say "call 120 Minute a strong ale", I probably would. Put a gun to my head and say "call it a barleywine", no way.

3. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Devotee (474) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania

These two together suggest that for some reason, you think DIPA is a wildly broader class than barleywine. Why? Why can a beer that tastes nothing like other DIPAs be a DIPA, but a beer that tastes nothing like other barleywines not be a barleywine? Personally I don't think it's either, but I also think style guides are a bit silly.

4. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,389) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Trader

I agree a bit. But name me another barleywine that you think tastes even remotely similar to 120. I can however give you PtY and Unearthly that I think are remotely similar to 120, especially Unearthly. Big alcohol, big sugar sweetness and big hops, but it's just a lower abv.

5. RichardMNixon

I haven't drank barleywine or 120 minute recently enough or close enough together to help you there. I'd be happy to confirm what you say though if you could send me some PtY. :wink:

6. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

After trying it once at a tasting, I would probably never buy it myself.

7. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

That seems like a decent price though I don't know where you are. In PA, I think $10 seems to be the norm. But this beer seems to be easier to find lately, maybe just a PA thing? I have to laugh at the arguments above about what 120min is....it's funny how casual beer drinking people feel the need to make sure a certain beer fits nice and snug in a highly defined and clearly labelled compartment.

8. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (294) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

I bought 3 bottles and drank the first one right away. Sickly sweet for my tastes. Had the second bottle 2 years later, it was even sweeter. I really dreaded trying the last bottle, luckily a buddy took it from my beer fridge and drank it before I got home from work.

9. Dol39fan

Dol39fan Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2008 California

I have had it fresh and a 6 year old bottle. Fresh wasnt as good but worth drinking. Go for it.

10. jtmartino

jtmartino Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California

I had it last night again for the third time. Tastes a hell of a lot like a really boozy American Barleywine, and absolutely NOTHING like a DIPA. Not even Younger (I've only had Younger probably 14 times.)

No, the malt profile is not as complex as a standard barleywine, but it does share a lot of similarities with some pretty simple and one-note barleywines I've had.

120 Min is not terrible, but it's boozy for the sake of being boozy. Another "meh" product from DFH.

11. tabascosigned

tabascosigned Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2012 Virginia

I enjoy it.
    sweeter than Hopslam, however.

funny (not so funny) story.
    a couple local markets had it a few weeks back.
    one didn't have it shelved; you had to ask, they went in the back and brought you a single bottle.
    $10.99.
    a different (often better) local market had it for $8.99 each, so I bought 4.
    at the checkout, the girl thought it was a mistake, and overrided the scanner and charged me $1.99 per bottle.
    that's 8 bucks and change for 4 120's.
    but, since I'M STUPID, I told her they were actually $8.99, thinking/hoping she would give me the $1.99 good samaritan discount.
    she didn't.

CWinchell likes this.
  12. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,431) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Everyone loved it when it came out, but it is now seen as trendy so people don't like it now. I've always liked it since I first tried it. It's interesting and fun to experiment with aging.

People have grown in the craft beer world and think they are too cool for it. I'd get a few, one to try now and one to try each year for the next 5 years.

13. MichPaul

MichPaul Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Michigan

Hmmm... Their site seems to call it an IPA, scroll down till you see it: http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/index.htm

14. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've found after extensive research that a boot is the best drinking vessel for 120.

HopFace, CWinchell, cavedave and 2 others like this.
  15. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,351) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I love DFH 120min. If a grocery store by me had it for $8 a bottle I would certainly buy at least a handful.

16. r0nyn

r0nyn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 New York

I was at the Pony Bar in Hell's Kitchen last week when they had it on tap. They served it in these adorable little 5 oz snifters. Kept my distance though, since I've had it fresh before and it's just one big, sweet boozy mess.

This guy at the bar put away five glasses though. No idea how he stomached that much in the span of the hour I was there.

17. ObiWanKushnobi

ObiWanKushnobi Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2011 Minnesota

I love 120 although it is much better with age. Buy 2 bottles drink one now and age the other for a few years.

18. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,888) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Has anyone done verticals with these things? I have a 2008 that I'm tempted to open soon. From this thread it sounds like 5-6 years is the upper end that people have tried. Has anyone gone longer?

19. TheNoodleIncident

TheNoodleIncident Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2012 New York

Yeah, this exact thing recently happened to a buddy of mine at Whole Foods. He had a few bottles, the first one rang up at $9 or whatever, and she assumed that there was no way a single bottle of beer could cost that much, so she charged him $9 for the 4-pack. He didn't take the good samaritan route, in fact I think he tried to buy even more.

20. mrk829

mrk829 Initiate (194) Aug 1, 2008 Georgia

i am interested in finding out too, i bought 2 in 2009, drank one...and i did really like it and have been aging the other.

for the op, yes it is a buy at $8 for sure.

21. NoLeafClover44

NoLeafClover44 Defender (667) Feb 24, 2011 Delaware

Looks like I am a little late to the party, but the cheapest I have found it in Delaware is a little liquor store in Wilmington that always has 120 and WWS on the shelf for $7.99. Every other store around here carries it, but $9.99 or $10.99 is almost always the price point.

22. Providence

Providence Champion (801) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

When I have seen DFH 120 cheap it's usually failry old.

23. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2008 Missouri

Isn't that like, 1? 2 at most. How many beers can you fit in a hand?

TheNoodleIncident likes this.
  24. TheNoodleIncident

TheNoodleIncident Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2012 New York

Grab them by putting the necks of the bottles in between your fingers. Can get at least 4 that way....

25. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2009 Maryland

Everytime I read this thread title, I think it says 'Burying Dogfish Head 120', which, in my opinion is not a bad idea. They used to suggest that on some of their labels. Grab a shovel, get to diggin!

26. OldCrustacean79

OldCrustacean79 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2012 Connecticut

8.00 is a good deal!!! Its 7.65 at the store I frequent. Ive seen it as high as 14.99

Its a sweet tasting, low carb IPA. I def would stay in for the night if you plan on drinking more than 1

27. CWinchell

CWinchell Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2011 North Carolina

At that price I say snag up a couple 4 packs.
    Like others have said even if it ends up not being your cup of tea there always seems to be people on the lookout for it.

28. HopFace

HopFace Aspirant (248) Feb 29, 2012 Colorado

8 bucks at the giant eagle in Pittsburgh. I picked up a couple last time they had it.

Why doesn't any ever mention the calories in this thing? 450!!!! It's not something I usually care about but 450!?! That's a ton for 1 beer.

29. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Disciple (300) Jan 28, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

I doubt it's low carb.

30. OldCrustacean79

Low Carbination

31. MaxSpang

Trader

Lol I know, just couldn't resist being a smartass.

32. OldCrustacean79

Lol !!! Hard to tell sometimes, I see alot of trolls just begging for attention!!!

33. MaxSpang

Trader

Oh I'm definitely one of them.

In any case, just to keep things relevant, I think fresh 120 is better than aged 120. After a few years all the high-abv Dogfish beers kinda start to taste the same. That being said, I'd drop $8 on a bottle in a heartbeat.

34. RichardMNixon

Care to share?

35. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,351) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I have very large hands.

36. Barrelsnbeer

Barrelsnbeer Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012 North Carolina

120 is definitely a weird one, ive had it fresh on tap and aged 5 years. After 5 years it takes on a liquid fig newton flavor. Whats funny though is in NC I i cant get it at all and i get asked for it every single day but in oregon the bar i worked at had it on tap at $5 for a 10oz pour and i couldnt give it away. I do tend to think its priced a little high but with all the attention it gets, sam can ask whatever he wants for it. Is there anyone here who can dispute that its a beer that must be tried at some point?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.