CA Growler Fills via tags?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by OMsweetOM, Apr 9, 2013.

1. OMsweetOM

OMsweetOM Feb 1, 2011 California

A recent recap of the current state of things in CA regarding growler fills with info on Russian River's idea to use tags to adhere to the law.
    http://beerpaperla.com/beer/26-will...st-keep-trying-to-change-the-law#.UWN1mKIf7hd

I like the tag idea. Covering an existing label should be easy enough; a tag would make it easy for the breweries since they wouldn't have to worry about how large to make logo stickers.

Television77 likes this.
  2. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Mar 23, 2008 California

The article says Eagle Rock has a tag out for approval right now?
    In their blog post they seemed pretty against it.

I'll be there the first weekend they start filling blanks.

MikeTen likes this.
  3. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I'm with you tjensen. I can't get myself to drop $20 on a growler glass there, but give me the option to fill a blank growler and I'll be picking up a growler fill every other week.

MikeTen likes this.
  4. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Apr 16, 2005 California

Baby steps in the right direction but just asinine how much nonsense we've had to wade through given how seamlessly simply allowing the fill of any growler works in the vast majority of other states.

Would it satisfy the breweries and ABC if I just brought in a growler wrapped entirely in red tape?

MikeTen, stupac2, tjensen3618 and 2 others like this.
  5. jodan

jodan Jul 24, 2008 California

As will I, but there's no way in hell that I'm spending $20 on growler there until then.

6. Television77

Television77 Jan 8, 2011 California

Haha! Maybe the CCBA should've recommended '3" opaque red shrink wrap' instead of '3" opaque black shrink wrap'

7. JasonFromLA

JasonFromLA Jan 9, 2013 California

Love seeing progress on this issue!

8. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I was informed by an employee that Triple Rock has tags out for approval, which presumably means that Drake's does too. It's good to hear that a few people are quickly hopping on board, that's what we need to convince the doubting breweries that this is worth it.

Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  9. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Oct 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Keep 'em coming!

tjensen3618 likes this.
  10. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Feb 14, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Actually from past dealings with the abc I think we are lucky that we can walk into a brewery and walk out with a growler of beer. In a sense we are walking out with an unsealed container of alcohol and then driving with it in our car. My car does not have a trunk so I am technically breaking the law.

11. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Aug 9, 2011 California

My local brewery has been using tags for a few months now and was using painters tape to cover growlers well before that.

12. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Mar 23, 2008 California

Who?

13. stupac2

Beer Trader

I've heard of a few bay area ones filling outside growlers for forever. I think one was Ale Industries. They're never the super popular ones, of course.

14. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Hell, the bruery filled blank growlers for a while. It just depends on how big a brewery is before they start giving a fuck about cashing in on glass and name branding their product.

15. OMsweetOM

OMsweetOM Feb 1, 2011 California

It wouldn't meet the requirements since the growler must be identified by the establishment filling it - and technically with the contents. That's where the tags/stickers come in but the breweries have to have them ready for you.

I've considered printing brewery label/graphics to tape over my growler engraved content... but my printer was out of ink the day I intended to do it.

16. jtmartino

jtmartino Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Sante.

17. TicoCali

TicoCali Jul 25, 2010 California

18. stupac2

Beer Trader

Apparently the tags are now in use at Russian River.

19. MssrTussaud

MssrTussaud Apr 17, 2013 California

They'll fill blanks or appropriately covered growlers from other breweries now?

/Runs out to garage, smashes 40 growlers

20. stupac2

Beer Trader

I dunno, I wasn't there, but a friend was and told me they were using the tags now. Presumably this means they'll fill anything, but you'd need to ask.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe