California and Colorado trips. Breweries needed

Discussion in 'US - West' started by skitchen89, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skitchen89

skitchen89 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2015 Pennsylvania

Next summer I am going to Boulder Colorado and Cheyenne WY / Yellowstone national park for vacation. Following summer were going to California for two weeks going from San Francisco to San Diego. Because I am a male and not the one planning the trips, my mom is asking me for the breweries I'd like to go to.

Obviously, Russian River, ballast point, Sierra Nevada, lagunitas, Avery and Oscar Blues are on the short list. What are other places you folks recommend

2. CMiesen

CMiesen Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2015 California

Sierra Nevada is kind of out of the way if you are going from San Francisco to San Diego. Like three hours north east out of the way.

3. Hophazzard

Hophazzard Disciple (323) Aug 16, 2014 California

A must stop is Knee Deep Brewing in Auburn. Some of the best IPA's in California, especially fresh. Cheers!

4. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (11,404) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

IN Colorado
    Ska
    Odells
    Funkwerks
    Loveland

5. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

The places Directory can be very helpful if you want to suppliment the list you get from your post.

6. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,843) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

I've heard great things about upslope in boulder you might want to look into that.
    If you're willing to drive down to Denver great divide is worth the stop. They have some great beers and yeti is absolutely incredible.

7. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (384) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Sante Adairius is three minutes off the coastal highway in lovely Capitola, CA. Do it.

8. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Zealot (505) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Poor Oscar never gets the attention like Oskar does.

9. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,789) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Another vote for Odell if you make it to Ft Collins.

In the city, Cellarmaker is a must hit. Knee Deep is a ways out of your way, unless you do go to Chico and SN.

10. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (203) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

Obviously subjective, but I would by no means classify knee deep under the must stop category.

11. GavinHarper

GavinHarper Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 California

Rare Barrel, Sante Adairius, Firestone, Barrelworks are all must stops IMO.

12. Alpha309

Alpha309 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 California

What years are you talking about here. I mean, two years out, the way this looks and a lot of things may change. A small brewery that is just starting may explode and become a must stop place.

As you are driving through Los Angeles, I would recommend you take the 405 south (not during traffic hours though) exit on Western and hit Smog City and Monkish, then get back on the 405 drive south and take a slight detour for Beachwood BBQ and Brewing in Long Beach, grab some excellent brews and BBQ, then continue south. I think as it currently stands, that would be the most bang for your buck there, and 3 good breweries. If you are staying in LA for some time there are other good places, but they are quite spread out.

13. Martin_carvalho

Martin_carvalho Initiate (69) Jun 13, 2014 California

If traveling down the 99, Tioga sequoia in Fresno is a great spot.

14. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Defender (612) Oct 5, 2011 Colorado

Melvin and Snake River if you roll through Jackson Hole.

Colorado:
    Crooked Stave
    Avery
    Oskar Blues
    O'Dell
    Comrade
    Great Divide and Breckenridge are about to open their new, bigger places soon too.

15. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (275) Oct 20, 2006 California

While in Boulder, go to Reuben's and Back Country Pizza. Those are the two best beer spots in the city (that I have been to).

16. CAcker

CAcker Initiate (168) Apr 16, 2012 California
    Trader

Hit Mountain Sun in Boulder for lunch for beers and good food. One of the things I miss most not living on the Front Range of Colorado. So many good breweries, if you only look for the big boys, in CA or CO, you'll miss a lot of awesome stuff, Don't discount good beer bars and bottle shops. Colorado is seriously Beer Mecca. Ft. Collins is great, you'll drive through to get to WY. Thai me Up is in Jackson, WY, seen there name around a bit in the Mountain west beer news. Look up lists of breweries that are on the way to places you are going.

Message me if you want more info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.