California Craft Beer, Fremont

Discussion in 'US - West' started by Rzzzzz, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SageO

SageO Aspirant (201) Jul 13, 2010 California

Yup, I went there when I was up in NorCal a few weeks ago - I think they had literally been open <2 weeks when I went. Great place, reasonable prices, nice to do a flight, furnished beautifully, and REALLY nice staff.

2. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Poo-Bah (2,037) Nov 26, 2008 California
    Society Trader

That's the one directly across the street from Ohlone, right?

Really nice setup, looked to be a few taps there (biercafe style). The selection was decent, but nothing I can't find in Whole Foods. I'll definitely check it out a few more times; I have family in the area, and Mission Pizza is fairly close by. I hope they expand their selection, though, and refrigerate their IPAs.

3. hophead247

hophead247 Disciple (378) Jan 27, 2008 California

There is good and bad....

Met the owner, his daughter, and some other guy they brought in to help out. The owner and daughter are awesome, friendly, and can hold a conversation.

The 'other' guy, not so much. He comes off as cocky and seems like he gets irritated when you try to start a conversation with him. I corrected him on a number of different beers and he seemed to take offense to that. I told him straight up that he needs to have some sort of knowledge if he's going to be working at a craft beer bar/store...as well as communication skills. I said it kind of jokingly and he went on to help someone else.

2 other friends of mine had the same experience with him. One asked why they don't update on Facebook or a site like this. He said he updates all the time on Facebook. When we looked, the last update was basically a layout of how the place was going to look.

The place has promise, a decent beer selection, and a nice owner and daughter. Hopefully the other guy will straighten up or just leave.

4. Arbitrator

Society Trader

Correcting or informing a thin-skinned store owner is likely to get you banned. Trust me on this one.

afrokaze likes this.
  5. hophead247

Ha ha...The owner and his daughter got a chuckle out of it, so I may be good for now.

Diego from Perry's actually got hired to work here, but turned them down after he was offered more from Harpreet and his family.

6. jtmartino

jtmartino Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California

A good sign of a store that doesn't deserve your business :slight_smile:

7. hophead247

I never let one person ruin my mood. The skills he lacks in were more than made up from the owner and his daughter.

8. drgarage

drgarage Disciple (393) Aug 19, 2008 California

In fairness, you're also intentionally abrasive, at least based on how you post around these parts.

9. Arbitrator

Society Trader

It probably doesn't help that I usually walk into a store, punch people in the face, and break a bottle or two.

largadeer and jtmartino like this.
  10. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Devotee (452) May 19, 2011 California
    Trader

Well, as long as you told him 'kind of' jokingly... /koj

11. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Devotee (408) Nov 10, 2007 California
    Society

As long as you punch them in the face kind of jokingly I don't see what the problem is.

Arbitrator and hophead247 like this.
  12. drgarage

drgarage Disciple (393) Aug 19, 2008 California

People are usually fine with that so long as you don't correct the opinions of the people whose faces you punch.

Arbitrator likes this.
  13. Arbitrator

Society Trader

I will say, since my tasting group isn't here to contradict me, that I'm much nicer in person than on the forums.

afrokaze and KevSal like this.
  14. mjl21

mjl21 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2008 California

You should put a list of stores/bars you are banned from on your profile page.

15. bauers

bauers Disciple (399) Feb 6, 2011 California
    Society Trader

Fremont - finally - seems to be experiencing a bit of a craft brew expansion. We've had - thankfully - Mission Pizza for quite a while. But in the last year or so Mission Liquors has installed around 12 taps to complement there excellent selection in bottles, and CCB on Mission has opened with around 16 taps, a nice bottle shop, and a nice vibe most of the times I've been there. And the folks at Das Brews are brewing some very good beers (they're on Grimmer I believe.) If Jack's/Fremont Brewing Company would amp up their game a bit (better beers and kitchen) Fremont could give Hayward a run for the money in terms of being the place to go in Southern Alameda County for good craft beer.

16. BayAreaBeers

BayAreaBeers Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2011 California

huh, some knowledge I wasn't aware of.

17. BayAreaBeers

BayAreaBeers Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2011 California

Jacks is horrible. I live across the street and cant stand their food or their beer.

18. bradybeer

bradybeer Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2005 California

where does Das brews brew?

19. hophead247

Somewhere on Grimmer blvd in Fremont. I believe you can order kegs from them or even have them delivered, but I don't believe they have a tap room. Everything I've had from them has been just ok so far.

EDIT: Here is a past link about them
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/das-brew-fremont.2627/

20. bradybeer

bradybeer Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2005 California

thank you for the update-seeing if they allow visiters.

21. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2011 California

In addition to the previously mentioned Mission Liquors which is great, I have found another very good bottle shop in Fremont. Cork n Bottle Liquors behind Denny's on Mowry has a pretty killer selection. I stepped foot into this place a couple weeks ago for the first time since High School and was pretty blown away by what they had.

22. AnnaNutBread

AnnaNutBread Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2013 California

Hey beer heads!

Just wanted to let you guys know that California Craft Beer has a new manager now and things have been a-changing. Here is the updated Facebook page where you can find out what's happening:

www.facebook.com/californiacraftbeer

and the Yelp page so you can read about them:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/california-craft-beer-fremont?sort_by=date_desc

There was recently an article about them and you can read that here:
    http://www.examiner.com/article/california-craft-beer-proves-that-craft-beer-can-flourish-fremont

Cheers to you all!

#23 AnnaNutBread, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  23. m34josh

m34josh Initiate (76) Oct 19, 2009 California
    Trader

Welcome to Beer Advocate!

24. AnnaNutBread

Thank you so much!I'm currently drinking the Drake's Jolly Rodger! It's quite delicious =) Happy Friday!

25. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Initiate (179) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

Great place now that the fat white guy is gone (terrible lsocial skills) . The short white guy which I beleive is the poster above a boyfriend is a solid dude. Had some good convo with him last time I was there. Definitely worth the trip!

26. AnnaNutBread

Lost Abbey's Agava Maria will be ontap this Sunday if anyone wants to join me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.