California West Coast IPA Thread (2022)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 3, 2022.

1. dcgunman

dcgunman Meyvn (1,335) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Rumor is that my local Beachwood does ship anywhere in California.

2. dcgunman

Society Trader

3. bcm119

bcm119 Champion (828) Feb 17, 2001 California
    Society

Urban Roots is at the top of my list of breweries to try that I haven't yet. Another one is Mad Fritz which I have a tasting appt tomorrow for, pretty excited about that.

Having a Drake's Denogginizer now that is decidedly old school, with big pine and bitter citrus pith. I love that style and it's boosting my transition from work to weekend mode very effectively.

4. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,080) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Is that a pizza port collaboration? I feel like they had a pizza port collaboration called Beach Run there last night but I'm not sure. As I understand it the cans we see are picked up personally by the bar owner in the bay area. He goes down and fills up a van with cans and kegs. And then their sold like draught pints for like $6-$7. So I don't mess with anything over 6 weeks or so, and usually not older than a month since it's such a premium.

I think the beach run cans were from December :confused:

I'm drinking some Dankful from 1/20 though and glad that SN is keeping that on the shelves relatively fresh. Hope it stays that way over the summer

jakecattleco likes this.
  5. BlameHouston

BlameHouston Aspirant (224) Aug 21, 2020 California

Bear Rupublic now dating via a PKGD vs previously Best By on 12packs of Racer 5, individual bottles which are still almost impossible to see. Good transition :slight_smile:

6. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Well I dropped in to Eel River brewing this evening to discover that today they released their annual organic dipa Earth Thirst. It's a solid enjoyable classic wc dipa. Glad to have a pour the day it's packaged and enjoyed a can at home too

7. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,668) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

I used to love Eel River when they had wider distribution in Oregon, them and Butte Creek ( are they still around?) for organic beers.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  8. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

They've pulled back a lot. Probably good for them, they've been catching up with the times as well. I actually tried a wc ipa dry hopped with blueberry puree last week and it was remarkably tasty.

I hope they can settle comfortably into their place as a solid local brewer

9. Reidrover

Society

I liked Eel River's Amber ale quite a lot for some reason. I wonder if they still have it on tap?

10. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

It was on tap today. They haven't abandoned many of their standards

jakecattleco and Reidrover like this.
  11. Reidrover

Society

I need to venture down to Fortuna this camping season

12. dcgunman

Society Trader

I believe Beach Run was a collab with Alesmith. PO did a collab version with BW called Beach Retreat. I believe it was the first one of the Neach Retreat. BW/PP version came out a month later? Now the new BW version of Beach Retreat.
    @unlikelyspiderperson > https://shop.beachwoodbrewing.com/

13. bcm119

Society

Butte Creek has been gone for a decade at least. They were bought by Mendocino Brewing (Eye of the Hangover, anyone?) which of course closed as well.
    I recall both Eel River and Butte Creek having a similar, not-so-good husky/grainy quality which lead me to believe high quality organic brewing ingredients were difficult to source. I don't know if that assumption was true, but that was many years ago. The Eel River beers I've had recently weren't bad at all. I'm glad they're still kicking, they have a great rebrand/logo!

BlameHouston likes this.
  14. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

This has gotten much better as far as malt goes, hops are another story. In order to get with the times in terms of hops they have begun making many ipas that are organic malt and conventional hops, from talking to folks there they've said that many modern hops have exactly 0 acres of organic cultivation going on.

That said, I just picked up their annual organic dipa - Earth Thirst - yesterday and it's nice. Not as bright as last year, when they prominently named the organic hop varieties used, but still a very enjoyable dipa that has a distinctly northwest vibe to it

bcm119, ChicagoJ and BlameHouston like this.
  15. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (6,124) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Next time we have a debate about fresh hops vs wet hops, I'm going to use this post as evidence that you have no idea what you're talking about.

16. BlameHouston

BlameHouston Aspirant (224) Aug 21, 2020 California

!tranquillo amigo, think loza farms :slight_smile:

17. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

:flushed::dizzy_face: I deserve that. As a devoted beer nerd I must deeply apologize to the community. This beer was briefly conditioned on blueberries. It almost tasted like the best beers wet hopped with Mosaic:innocent:

Reidrover, ChicagoJ and DefenCorps like this.
  18. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,382) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Kern Double Chuuurch! Bangs hard. Wow. This is insanely good.

ryno09, ChicagoJ, dcgunman and 2 others like this.
  19. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,382) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Had There Does Not Exist Psychic Advsor yesterday because of recommendations here. Awesome Westy.

bret27, ChicagoJ, jamesar and 2 others like this.
  20. dcgunman

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Yesterday was a Kern River kinda day. Chuurch!, canned 2-21 was so delicious. Finished off with Citra. The 3 C’s from KRBC. Today is going to be a RiiP day. Will check out their new location in HB.

21. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Crusader (708) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

22. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Defender (624) Jul 9, 2010 California

Damn that's a solid lineup

SoCalBeerIdiot, ChicagoJ and 310gts like this.
  23. dcgunman

Society Trader

Remember when you stood in line for knuckle sandwich? Remember when they moved to there new location?

UnknownKoger, ChicagoJ and SP23 like this.
  24. UnknownKoger

9pm or death!...metal

25. bcm119

Society

I was thinking of this reply today because I tried that Trader Joe's organic IPA called Farm Island, brewed in Maine (I'm guessing it's brewed by Peak Organic, but not sure). It's really not bad at all, especially for 7.99/sixer. Curious where they found decent organic hops. Or maybe you can get away with non-organic hops since they are such a small fraction by volume? Either way, it's a good deal.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  26. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

There are fairly solid organic supplies of many of the major hops used. It's (according to this one particular employee at a brewery that makes a fair bit of organic beer) mostly the new aroma varieties that don't have organic acreage.

And I'm not sure how they calculate the ratio but I believe processed food is allowed to contain 5% inorganic ingredients and still carry the usda label?

I know that Eel River does have a couple brands of ipa that are not labeled organic but claim "made with organic grain" on the label, so that leads me to believe that - for hoppy styles at least - using organic grain but not hops doesn't suffice for purposes of labeling

bcm119 likes this.
  27. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (231) Jun 13, 2006 California

I have determined that I need to steer away from any ales with Sabro hops. Beach Run (Alesmith/Pizzaport) and Remote Location (Pizzaport) and another one recently that I can't recall, all had Sabro. Something about Sabro tastes like sweaty gym socks dipped in old coconut oil = hard pass.
    Anyone else have this opinion of Sabro hops?

28. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (356) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Yep. I find single hop Sabro to be sunscreen flavored and undrinkable. The recent Remote Location is okay since it's not single hop but Sabro takes away rather than adds anything IMO.

SoCalBeerIdiot likes this.
  29. UnknownKoger

I don't know about that exact flavor profile but yeah I've never enjoyed Sabro beers

bret27 and SoCalBeerIdiot like this.
  30. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I'm not sure why, but I saw Waldos today and felt compelled to pick it up. In a lot of ways it reminds me of the classic Lagunitas that nursed my young hop addiction. Sweet with a pleasant but generic hoppy bite that could only come from some kind of hop extract, and surprisingly clean on the finish.

I don't know how long it will take me to get to the other 3. Wish I'd just bought a single

bret27 and ChicagoJ like this.
  31. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Crusader (708) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

One of my favorite events:

The LA IPA Fest is back!

[​IMG]
    The wait is over! At long last, LA's favorite beer festival is returning on May 21st, 2022 - and this year, we're going bigger with even more great California beers in a brand new location.

Join us at Brennan's in Marina del Rey for a full day of hops! Your ticket gets you 5 pours from our selection of over 60 of the best West Coast IPAs in the state, a chance to vote on which one will be the People's Choice winner, and a commemorative glass.

Not enough for you? Go VIP and you'll also get to rub shoulders with our panel of industry-leading brewers for an exclusive Judges' brunch at 10am. Then you'll get to view the first round of tasting with them as they select their choice for Best California IPA.

Will North Park Brewing repeat 2020's 1st place prize? Can Green Cheek Beer reclaim their trophy to score the threepeat? Find out with us at Brennan's!

Get your tickets now![​IMG]
    Psst! Early bird tickets are $9 off - but you've got to act soon! Prices go up after April 30th!

32. UnknownKoger

Grabbed a 4pk of KRBC Citra from Wine Country the other day. God it's good. I forgot how malty and sticky it is. Classic throwback

33. dcgunman

Society Trader

Got 2 cans left from a half case. So good.

ChicagoJ, RaulMondesi and Brent212 like this.
  34. 310gts

310gts Initiate (69) Jun 22, 2018 California

Latest batches of Hello LA and Competition from HPb are pretty great.

35. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (231) Jun 13, 2006 California

New Karl Strauss/Sierre Nevada collab : "What's cooler than being Cool?" Cold IPA = very good. Also bought new Societe IPA called Billboard Dreams and will report later when I open one.....

36. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,990) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

That’s a good one. Just don’t wait too long.

37. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,990) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Agreed. A year or so back I posted a thread called “hatred of sabro hop” or something like that.

38. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Your wisdom reached me telekenetically. I woke up after posting that with a new outlook on life. I finished the other 3 over the last two days. A nice throwback and gets you tore back

Resistance88, ChicagoJ and vurt like this.
  39. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (737) Mar 28, 2009 California

I didn’t buy it but it was sad to see Keene idea sitting warm on the total wine floor. Has anyone tried the green flash version of Keene idea? Used to love, love the OG version.

[​IMG]

bret27 and ChicagoJ like this.
  40. UnknownKoger

all they need to do now is ruin Bad Boy (if they haven't already)