California Wild Ales

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by ClippersSD, Jan 13, 2016.

1. ClippersSD

ClippersSD Aspirant (208) Jul 17, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Does anyone know about these guys?

Our Story
    California Wild Ales would like to thank you for your support and encouragement over the past year. We are so excited to begin this journey with you.

California Wild Ales was born out of our love of funky, sour beers. Having grown tired of the hop wars, we set our sights on producing something new while using old world brewing techniques.

Become a Founding Member
    We are proud to announce the inaugural sign up period for our Membership club, The Funky Bunch. We are excited to bring you this collection of limited, special release beers that we have been working on. These beers will be brewed in very limited batches, so as a member you will usually be the only ones to receive our Special Reserve Wild Ales

Join the Funky Bunch
    [​IMG]
    Twelve .375 ML bottles of limited, special release beer.

[​IMG]
    First rights to purchase any extra membership bottles.
    [​IMG]
    First rights to purchase any regular release bottles.
    [​IMG]
    Founding Members Glassware

[​IMG]
    Founding Member T-Shirt

[​IMG]
    Bottle release events fully catered with gourmet food pairings

[​IMG]
    Member ID card

Become a Member

2. Xtent

Xtent Aspirant (221) Jan 16, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Follow them on Instagram, still waiting to try some of their beers.

3. Coldstorage

Coldstorage Disciple (351) Oct 1, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

$200 for 12 splits makes this one of the most expensive clubs yet. Anyone taste anything yet?

KevSal likes this.
  4. kbenson

kbenson Aspirant (209) Aug 15, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm going to take a chance with them....because I'm crazy. Any of you haters want to be my trustee! :slight_smile:

5. Xtent

Beer Trader

Will not be joining this club upon learning who is behind it.

*Buyers beware

6. SDReaper

SDReaper Zealot (555) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Assuming that they got the place they were after they are right down the road from me in Sorrento Valley. I think their warehouse is a couple blocks from new English.

7. Djc410

Djc410 Initiate (176) May 9, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

anyone know where in SD they're located?

8. kbenson

Beer Trader

Let's do this!!!! chemann14 and Coldstorage are missing a prime chance to bitch about another beer club with us! :slight_smile:

9. kbenson

Beer Trader

10. Xtent

Beer Trader

Not sure if posting names is okay or not.
    Go to their website and look at their about page, Google the name of their "Head blender and Co founder"
    He has scammed people in the past.

11. Xul

Xul Crusader (768) May 18, 2008 California

No ABC License for that address yet, nor under the business name, and they just created their LLC five weeks ago. Interesting. I know they've been doing free tastings of homebrew and the blender/barrel guy has made some rather interesting comments in a Facebook group.

I guess if people will back Casa Agria and Dionysus, they'll probably back these guys too, but the trend of sour-centric breweries starting clubs before they even have their licensing in order, let alone beer aging in barrels, is not something I'd consider a positive.

12. kbenson

Beer Trader

In what context has he scammed people?

13. Sober_Drinker

Sober_Drinker Initiate (18) Mar 13, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

14. Coldstorage

Beer Trader

Christ.

http://chefcameronpryor.blogspot.com/

It's not like I don't believe in second chances but maybe after his first colossal crowd sourcing failure (fraud?) he should try developing a business models that involves brewing beer before taking peoples money.

15. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (509) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I'm not sure who I fault more. Him for scamming people at Burning Man, or people going to Burning Man

16. ac24

ac24 Initiate (178) Nov 17, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

That's a pretty big red flag. Good luck if you join.

17. kbenson

Beer Trader

Yuck. I just cancelled the charge with my CC company. What a bummer.

KevSal and daveafrank like this.
  18. SDReaper

Beer Trader

I was wrong on the location, that is about a mile from New English. Conveniently if they do open and have a tasting room I will have another place to drive to after work while I wait for traffic to die down.

19. Saxmusik45

Saxmusik45 Aspirant (260) Nov 18, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

After reading the story about this guy taking money and then never fulfilling orders, I would never consider paying up front for a membership when they don't have a license or product even close to being already in process. There's nothing to stop this guy from doing another "take the money and run".

pinkgrenade and 3SH33TS like this.
  20. SUBER

SUBER Aspirant (251) Jan 26, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Scamming the hipsters is one thing, but scamming the hippies?
    No Bueno.

Sebowski likes this.
  21. ryno09

ryno09 Initiate (177) May 1, 2010 California

Yep, AVOID! Give your money to another brewery making sour beer.

22. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Savant (979) Nov 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Interested, but i would have to have tired some of their beers first.

23. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,028) Oct 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I kinda hope they fail simply due to the lackluster name of the brewery

KevSal and lanedlr like this.
  24. Telly13

Telly13 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Did anyone notice they changed it from 12 375 to now 10 750?

BeerMoto likes this.
  25. ryno09

ryno09 Initiate (177) May 1, 2010 California

Greasy. :wink:

Tgilly likes this.
  26. Xul

They also removed the word "donation" from the membership page and reworded several things, and they're deleting comments on their Facebook page of people who bring up Cameron's past issues with crowdfunding/advance sales (they must not be familiar with the Streisand effect). At best, they're disorganized and lacking a solid plan.

fondyball20 and ryno09 like this.
  27. SDReaper

Beer Trader

I had a chat with Zack last night pointing out this thread just to give him a heads up. He was not super thrilled.

28. Coldstorage

Beer Trader

Holy hell, they just dropped their price from $1.31 per oz to $.78 per oz? That type of recklessness really speaks to their experience (or lack thereof) in a business environment. Would love to get a look at their business plan... oh wait I guess that's the nice thing about using your customers for loans instead of a bank... less red tape. (and no interest on the loan, and no accountability, and no risk, and...)

I seriously hate living in the crowd sourcing era of business.

29. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (262) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Even if this brewery wasn't backed by owners with previous shady business dealings, who the fuck would blindly give $$ to a brewery that has no license and has never produced a drop of beer for public consumption. A fool and their money...

Tgilly likes this.
  30. SDReaper

Beer Trader

Ask those ppl that went with Dionysus and CASA. Granted some ppl received samples but willing to bet that the majority of those that signed up did so blindly.

chcfan and Xul like this.
  31. Keyser

Keyser Initiate (164) Jan 27, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

How many releases could they even have in 2016 if they currently cannot legally produce/sell beer?

pinkgrenade likes this.
  32. Xul

If they're going to open a blendery rather than a brewery, where are they producing wort?

Have they announced any expected dates to begin delivering beer? Any sort of projected timeline for construction, licensing, etc.?

I don't really care about the answers per se, since there's 0% chance I'm going to join, but they're so short on details that I can't help but wonder if they've even written any of this stuff down or if they're just spitballing ideas.

If you're adjusting your business plan based on the suggestion of Facebook beer groups, you're well and truly fucked.

This whole chain started with The Rare Barrel (at least around here, J Wakefield is a beast unto itself) and each sour-centric club afterwards seems riskier and has more personal baggage than the last.

BeerMoto likes this.
  33. tyrsis

tyrsis Disciple (321) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

New Money will probably keep these guys flush.

34. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Aspirant (245) Aug 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

this. it seems like this will be yet another SD brewery making quick kettle soured beers and selling them as sour beer. thankfully a lot of us are armed with knowledge when it comes to styles and how they are produced and its unfortunate that they seem to think they can have sour beer in less than a years time with no license and no brewing as of yet.

at least we have 120 more breweries to choose from. this is going to be very interesting to see what happens with them attached to someone who apparently already scammed people out of money before delivering previously. enjoy your memberships, folks

craft_is_king, BeerMoto and ryno09 like this.
  35. Tgilly

Tgilly Initiate (70) Aug 8, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I think the crowd sourcing business model can work when done right. If I'm not mistaken isn't that how Modern Times got partially started with their first league? Just seems like you should have people with experience in the brewing industry first, this guy was a "chef" / homebrewer. Transparency is key when asking for futures.

Xul likes this.
  36. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Aspirant (245) Aug 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

sooo does this guy have actual brewing experience that goes beyond homebrewing? has he been homebrewing long? anyone know anything about them that gives them actual credibility? i understand that you can enter the professional brewing world from many different levels but i would be more skeptical of someone trying to make sours without much under their belt. does anyone have any info beyond this dude is a chef that someone was so pissed at that they made a page about how much they dislike him?

37. Xul

Modern Times had fully funded their core operation from other sources, the Kickstarter was funding enhancements and building excitement. Crowdfunding certainly can be used to good effect, but there needs to be some understanding of what it's funding - ie, whether the brewery will be functional without the crowdfunding money - and a brewery needs to be far enough along that there's a clear payoff in a short amount of time.

38. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (533) Jul 9, 2010 California

was it known at the time of the Kickstarter that Mike Tonsmeire would be developing Modern Times's recipes? Because that would be a pretty big stamp of approval

ryno09 likes this.
  39. Telly13

Telly13 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Here in the Southbay CASA was in full marketing mode. They were frequently spotted at Beachwood, Smog, Phantom, and other shares showing what they had to offer. Most people that joined did know something ahead of time. But on the other hand you do have Libertine who is a mess at the moment.

Skunkdrool likes this.
  40. Xul

Yes. Mike had been onboard for several months and Jacob already had a team (Matt, Alex, Derek) before he opened up the Kickstarter.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.