Campden tablets or potassium sorbate to prevent fermentation

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GeeL, Jun 13, 2017.

1. GeeL

GeeL Initiate (153) Aug 27, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Hi. I want to back sweeten a saison that's been kegged and force carbonated.
    Campden tabs or potassium sorbate?
    Thanks.

2. telejunkie

telejunkie Disciple (314) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

it's pretty common for folks to go with both in the cider world...but if your choosing one, I'd say the metabisulfite route is the way to go.

3. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (186) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Which yeast strain(s) did you use? If you add a carbon source that it/they can't use, you can backsweeten without having to add KMS or NaMS.

Lactose or low DE-value maltodextrin (longer sugar chains) would be good places to start.

4. Drel

Drel Aspirant (280) Nov 14, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Just keep it cold. I did this with maple syrup about 3 weeks ago and it hasn't lost any sweetness to fermentation

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  5. GeeL

Beer Trader

Thanks everyone.
    I usually give more info, sorry I left out the yeast. It was White Labs Saison, 565 I believe.

6. GeeL

Beer Trader

Love the "right back to me" post.
    I did a quick search, but accidentally skipped over it.
    Thanks so much!

7. GeeL

Beer Trader

And thanks to you others for your replies. The yeast was White Labs Saison, 565 I believe.

8. plaztikjezuz

plaztikjezuz Zealot (588) Dec 19, 2004 Michigan

I have to point out that neither campden tablet/metabisulfite or sorbate "kill" the yeast. They do shock it and in wine combined with the finings generally pulling the yeast out of solution will stop renewed fermentation.

But understand that metabisulfite do not kill yeast at all. This is a common misconception in the homebrew world because the internet is full of know it all Uncle Buck types who say it does. Then compiled with the yeast shock and removal of most solid it seems to work most of the time.

I like to use artificial sweeteners for a lot of back sweetening now. They work the same as sugar for purposes of flavor/aroma enhancement and will not ferment.

Most commercial wineries do not use sorbate they sterile filter and use metabisulfite as an antioxidant/preservative for self life. I think this is why many homebrewers think they can just use metabisulfite. Which you can if you sterile filter.

but if it is going to be kept cold it whole life all that is moot.

dmtaylor likes this.
  9. EvenMoreJesus

While they don't kill it per se, they DO permanently interrupt their ability to metabolize causing them to go dormant, so, for all intents and purposes, they kill the yeast.

10. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

To clarify, this kegged beer is sitting at room temp, or is going into bottles? I think if you keep it chilled you can sweeten it up without worrying about neutralizing the yeast.

Stay frosty!

11. plaztikjezuz

plaztikjezuz Zealot (588) Dec 19, 2004 Michigan

Not permanently, sorry you are wrong there. While it maybe a slight chance, there still is the possibility of renewed fermentation. Sorbate is not 100%.

Every year I council wine makers on why their wine corks are popping out of the bottles. Reason the sorbate did not work. Either it was too old, they did not use enough, or there was a SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF YEAST left in the beverage.

They all say the same thing. I have been doing this for years and never had a problem. Why now?

12. EvenMoreJesus

I'd say that it's more likely that it doesn't affect all the yeast cells in solution than it is that yeast cells reanimate after going dormant.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.