Can a 2 1/2 inch draft tower be replaced with a 3 inch on the same kegerator?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Finn, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Finn

Finn Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2003 Pennsylvania

Hey folks, I recently inherited a kegerator, which has a 2 1/2 inch tower column. I want to upgrade to a nicer tower/tap setup but the options I really want are 3 inch tower columns. In your experience do kegerators generally accommodate both sizes or am I doomed to 2 1/2 inch towers with this specific kegerator?

Thanks for any input

2. matthewp

matthewp Initiate (153) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts

What brand and model of kegerator do you have? I have an igloo brand kegerator that had a 2 1/2 inch column which I used a piece of plywood as a "coupler" between the column and the existing hole.

3. Mayorofpreston

Mayorofpreston Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2016

Does anyone know if there are any lines running in the top of the Igloo kegarator's I need to bolt down my new dual head tower

4. matthewp

If you are replacing the original 2.5 inch tower with a 3 inch tower then I'd recommend using a piece of plywood as the coupler. I screwed the plywood into existing holes on my Igloo and then the tower into the plywood. Creates a solid connection and I haven't seen any degradation in cooling.

5. Mayorofpreston

Mayorofpreston Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2016

Thank you do you have any pictures of your installation

6. matthewp

I don't have pictures of before, only after but I used this thread as inspiration: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=311334

As memory serves where the existing tower connects into kegerator there are 4 screw holes where the gasket goes. If you look at illustration C and D from the manual at: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/6a/6a85566d-3650-4b48-939a-a36492e4da51.pdf

You should see 4 screw holes in the illustration mentioned above. I used those to screw the wood into. Since they are existing holes you know you won't go through any lines. I was able to create a solid enough mount using those. Then I screwed the tower into the wood using screws that were long enough to make a good connection but not too long that they went through the wood into the kegerator. My connection is solid as a rock and have been using it since April 2015. I believe I checked the temperature using an infrared temperature gauge that I use for detecting areas that need insulation in my house. Didn't notice an appreciable temperature change from the kegerator top to the wood. Keep on asking questions if this still doesn't make sense or if you run into any issues.

Mayorofpreston likes this.