Can a beer stay carbonated for 40+ years?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brewday, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (168) Dec 25, 2015 New York

The answer is yes and this video has some surprising results.

2. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (595) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Yes. I've drunk a 40+ years old Courage Russian Stout which was fully carbonated. And that was in a crown corked bottle, which isn't completely airtight.

3. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,236) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I have a Billy Beer from around 1977. I almost sent it to our emissary from Kiribati, but he had already gotten one. I will leave it as is. It seems kinda clunky, like sludge. Maybe it's fresh and delicious.

Bitterbill, Rug, Brewday and 6 others like this.
  4. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,475) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I have a Henninger Kaiser Pilsner steel can in my bottle collection that was full. I was concerned it might eventually rust from the inside and leak so I drilled the bottom to empty it. It had carbonation. I don't have a clue about its age, but it has a ring pull tab, so it's from at least the 60s or early 70s.

I couldn't pass up taking a chance and tasting it. A pretty weak-tasting pilsner is what I found.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,429) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

There is a TV show filmed in my area called What’s Brewing and in a recent episode they opened a 50-60 year old bottle of beer, and it was carbonated:

Cheers!

6. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,236) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Those German beers were my solace back in the bleak 70s. Then Bass Ale, Watney's Red Barrel, and always Guinness. I really liked Andeker from Pabst and Encore from Schlitz. They truly were eye-openers. Rheingold, National Premium, and Ringnes from Norway were fine beers.

7. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,724) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

My Billy Beer wasn't 'good', but it was far from terrible. Plenty of carb, as that's the topic of this thread, and my review is here: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22779/449441/

Bitterbill, Rug, Brewday and 3 others like this.
  8. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,345) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

One of you guys should add a picture of the can to the database! :grin:

Bitterbill, Rug, Brewday and 3 others like this.
  9. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I don't know how. The Billy Beer listed under F.X. Matt's listing has a pic, maybe a mod could just move it over to the Falls City listing where my review is. The beer was brewed at a few different breweries during its short life.

10. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,345) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Or, you could post a pic in the thread. I can download it from there (usually), re-size it to meet the requirements, and then upload it to the beer database, asking a mod to change the credit for the pic to you. :wink:

11. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

The pic was on the phone I got rid of a year ago. The cans all look the same, so it's no biggie.

Bitterbill and Peach63 like this.
  12. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (552) Feb 2, 2015 New York

I recently opened a black ale homebrew bottle from about 1980. The crown cap had been securely attached using a prohibition-era cast-iron capper. At the time I was bottling with low added sugar, shooting for moderate carbonation. Beer was poured into a glass and showed about 1/4 inch of head that fell quickly. Low but adequate mellow carbonation while drinking. I think the beer held up well (better than most commercial beers), and was enjoyable. Carbonation should not be an issue on intact commercial cans and bottles. There might be leakage if the glass was chipped at the closure, or in some cases with twist-offs.

ChicagoJ, Brewday, Rug and 1 other person like this.
  13. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (552) Feb 2, 2015 New York

The video is interesting. Here are some additional observations. Aluminum cans seem to be OK. I doubt that the white particles are metal. They might more likely be the result of the breakdown of the non-metallic linings of the cans. In one case the host observed high iron content and attributed it to an aluminum can. I suspect that he might have mistaken a drawn-and-ironed steel can for aluminum (these cans, with no seams, were used by some brewers in the 70s). I'm not sure whether to take the host's evaluation of the tastes seriously. My conclusion is that I'd like my 40 year old beer served from a glass bottle, preferably placed upright during storage.

PapaGoose03 and Rug like this.
  14. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,426) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I thought the same thing - one of many annoying aspects of that video, like the fascination with bar codes IIRC and I'd have thought the seams on the old steel cans would have been lead-free solder?. Then I wondered "Damn, what sort of junior basement amateur scientist doesn't own a !@#$ magnet?" :grin: ...before I turned it off.

#14 jesskidden, Feb 8, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    Bitterbill, PapaGoose03 and moodenba like this.