Can any other brewery, Belgian or not, top these 5 from Unibroue?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lookrider, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,405) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Comments like this make me wonder if the author of it has even truly tried one drop of beer from Unibroue. If you prefer Ommegang, thats fine. But to say that every single beer from Unibroue has been a drain pour? C'mon man, thats utter nonsense.

BobZ and fredmugs like this.
  2. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2012 Arizona

I care for Lost Abbey a great deal. But then again, I dont know if that makes it better...Both solid breweries, but lost abbey is very reasonable for the quality

davemont likes this.
  3. keithmurray

I prefer Unibroue over Ommegang. Fin Du Monde by itself is the best beer that either brewery makes. La Terrible is incredible and doesn't get much love in these parts. Maudite, Trois Pistoles, Don De Dieu and Blanche de Chambly are all very good.

To Ommegangs credit, their Abbey Ale and Hennepin are very good, but none of their other beers measure up against Unibroues catalogue.

4. keithmurray

I prefer Unibroue over Ommegang. Fin Du Monde by itself is the best beer that either brewery makes. La Terrible is incredible and doesn't get much love in these parts. Maudite, Trois Pistoles, Don De Dieu and Blanche de Chambly are all very good.

To Ommegangs credit, their Abbey Ale and Hennepin are very good, but none of their other beers measure up against Unibroues catalogue.

5. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

Agreed. When I started drinking Belgians I blindly bought a Unibroue sampler that had La Fin du Monde, Don de Dieu, Trois Pistoles, and Maudite in it (the Apple was horrendous). It was one Holy Shit moment after another. I haven't broke open my Grand Reserve or La Terrible yet.

6. lookrider

lookrider Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2007 Pennsylvania

Good call but what I meant was "Belgian or not" brewers brewing Belgain styles

7. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,121) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Brewery

My bad. Deleted the post.

8. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (261) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

You are the first person in the history of the world to think La fin du monde is a drainpour.

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  9. BobZ

BobZ Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2009 Massachusetts

Great beers for the value! IMO "La Terrible" is the Jewel in the Unibroue crown!

10. char005

char005 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2011 Pennsylvania

did you mean michael bolton?

TheBeerAlmanac and Hanzo like this.
  11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,804) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Beauty is in the eyes of the beer holder my friend.

12. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Poo-Bah (3,154) Oct 19, 2010 California
    Society Trader

No. I'm not a fan of it either. Used to like it, but these days there are so many better beers in my cellar, I don't bother with it. Plus I get that vaguely copperish-metalic taste from it, like I do from most of the Unibroue beers.

13. tut2528

tut2528 Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2008 Illinois

I blame Unibroue for getting me into this beer madness.

14. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (261) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

"not a fan of it" and pouring it down the drain are two very different things.

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  15. Cyrano41

Cyrano41 Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2009 Virginia

Been there and I'd choose Hennepin everytime. (Twice if they'd let me)

Stignacious likes this.
  16. ghostly

ghostly Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2011 New York

...and the cork that says "Unibroue". Just kidding. I agree with your post. I think their consistency over a wide range is impressive, and the pricing is great. Very few Belgian breweries bother to make such a wide range.

17. Stignacious

Stignacious Defender (674) Aug 24, 2011 New York

Allagash isn't even readily available in much of the state. Gotta go with what you can buy

18. --Dom--

--Dom-- Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2012 Missouri

I stand by every word, and yes I've tried almost all their beers.

19. beertasterb

beertasterb Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2010 Michigan

La Fin Du Monde is the reason i fell in love with beer still one of my faves

20. Flatlands

Flatlands Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Missouri

La Fin Du Monde is hooked me and I use it to introduce those less tasteful to the world of good beer. You can get it at Trader Joes! Unibroue and Ommegang are two brewers that I can enjoy in the middle of the USA. Boulevard's Tank 7 (saison) and Long Strange Tripel are my fav's but they are my hometown brew. If you can get them, they are wonderful. Tank 7 is one complex brew.

21. BKBassist

BKBassist Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2013 New York

Allagash White is everywhere in NYC, even the least crafty spot. Wits arent my cup of tea, but having had most of all three breweries line ups, I'd go Allagash, Ommegang, Unibroue. Mainly I think the first two are more willing to change and experiment. But Maudite will have a special place in my heart as one of the first beers to really wow me, going on 13 years ago

22. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,297) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

^^Amen

nothing against Unibroue, but I'll take the Ommegang lineup

23. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

I see you got that memo! Don't forget the cover letter :wink:

Hanzo likes this.
  24. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

Unibroque is solid, thanks to Chimay :wink:. I still would argue however, While their brews are excellent, Nothing they make strikes me as being the best of the best. Something about a Belgian being actually fermented in Belgium makes it better to me. For North America though they are far superior and more old school. One of the very first Belgian beers I had back in the day was a La Fin Du Monde.

25. lookrider

lookrider Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2007 Pennsylvania

Lots of good opinions for sure but I still haven't seen one that matches Unibroue for all four criteria of depth, quality, availability and afforability

26. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,146) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

La fin du monde is one of only 3 beers I've given a perfect score. It's amazing for a belian style beer and inexpensive. For price point I think it may be one of the best on the planet.

27. DarthGuitarHero

DarthGuitarHero Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 Minnesota

I love to sample North American brewers attempts at Belgian styles. I think all of these brewers are tremendously successful at their craft (in no particular order):

Unibrou
    Ommegang
    Jolly Pumpkin
    Funkwerks
    Anchorage
    Russian River
    Allagash

I have gotten tremendous enjoyment out of just about every brew I've tried from each of these, and I feel sorry for those who haven't. I love Unibroue, but I can't make the case that their Belgian-style offerings are collectively better than the others on the list above.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.