Can I get Some Love for Widmer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sacrelicio, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2010 New York

Nelson and X-114 are really good Ipa's, Galaxy was a nice Barleywine, and I always pick up a few Brrrbon's anytime I can. Nothing groundbreaking, but good solid brews.

2. ericlawton007

ericlawton007 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2006 Connecticut

The AB connection is purely for distribution purposes. There are a lot of breweries in this category that still produce beer under their own recipes and shouldnt be judged on their majority ownership. Definetly try the Nelson DIPA. Nowhere near the best of its kind, but is still a great DIPA worthy of an occasional 4 pack. Havent had the citra blonde yet, but summer seasonals usually arent my thing. Cheers!

3. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (524) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Nope. They chose to dance with the devil. Couldn't care less how good their new stuff might be. CBA and Goose Island are dead to me.

Providence likes this.
  4. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

Falconer IPA was an especially nice drank of beer, I don't care who ya are.

muchloveforhops3 and sacrelicio like this.
  5. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2011 Arizona

They brought back Pitch Black so we can only hope.

Then we have to hope that its as good as we remember it being. That seems to be the problem when I go back to Widmer brews that I used to like in my earlier days.

6. DonDirkA

See, now while I refuse to drink anything produced by AB (InBev) on moral grounds, I have trouble with this new distribution thing. They used to refuse to allow their distributors to carry anything but their beers so it was up to the few independent distributors and the MillerCoors local distributors to get the craft beers to us. But now that AB does it I am having a hard time. I mean, a lot of people like New Belgium but they are distributed by AB out in the East. And there's Goose Island, Kona, Widmer, Redhook... I've never been a big fan of any of them (never really tried GI as they don't bring much to AZ) but do you shun the breweries who only make a deal for distro or for minority ownership (like Widmer)? Its a moral conundrum for sure.

7. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,338) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Agreed. Other than the reserve stuff, the only one I rise was the hibiscus gose

There beer is very good though. I just like a little more extreme stuff.

8. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

Forgot to mention the rotators. Good IPAs. Each unique.

9. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (581) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Well made beer all around. Does ABIn really own them? I thought it was a minority/distro thing. Either way, I'm a fan, both for what they did for beer and what they continue to do. Christ, I feel like I'm perceptually beating the proverbial dead horse here, but, just because you don't like something, that doesn't make it bad. Opinions are like...we all know the rest.

10. DonDirkA

Yeah ABIn has a minority ownership (not purely distro but not a controlling share)

11. silentjay

silentjay Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2008 Massachusetts

12. milkbaby9

milkbaby9 Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Drifter is very solid, and I really like X-114. SxNW reserve was really freaking delicious, surprisingly quite nice. Almost everything I've tried from Widmer was at least drinkable, tho I've never had the famed hefeweizen...

13. dmoser

dmoser Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 California

that galaxy hopped barleywine was good. i never see anything except the hefe which has tarnished their reputation a bit among those looking for something more

14. sunkistxsudafed

sunkistxsudafed Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2010 New Mexico

their hefe is good for the price, the only rotator ipa i've enjoyed was the first one (x-114, i think). their black IPA turned me onto the style when i first was getting into craft a few years back. Their raspberry RIS is really good. I can't wait to try Kill Devil Brown and Old Embalmer. Oh and Brr! how could i forget their winter seasonal is really good.

15. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,257) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

That's not how CBA's 2011 Annual Report describes it, calling Anheuser-Busch, LLC "a significant shareholder", they note that:

16. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,257) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

AB's "100% Share of Mind" was an incentive program - they didn't "refuse to allow" their independent wholesalers to distribute other brands, which would most likely have been illegal under most states Three Tier and Franchise laws - and, as noted below, approximately 30% of AB houses didn't participate in it.

Coincidentally, CBA's Annual Report (which I had opened for a quote above) has an interesting reference to it:

I also think that, even among those who choose to not buy A-B-InBev products, there should be a distinction made between those brewers who sold all or a portion of their company to AB which includes an agreement for national distribution through AB's wholesale network and breweries that have local individual agreements with independent AB's houses. Like the New Belgium agreements you describe, in my region of NJ that includes brands like Anchor, Ithaca, Victory and many others. I don't consider them "AB" brands at all simply because they're warehoused and delivered alongside their brands.

JRCIII likes this.
  17. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

The mixed 12 pack, drifter, and rotator IPA were staples of mine this summer. Unfortunately, only the drifter pale ale can be found fresh in my area lately. I started out enjoying the rotator IPA the most, but have come away more impressed with Drifter after a few six packs of each.

18. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Cheers to the death of the ubiquitous SN Pale Ale knockoff....

This is the craft I've been looking for in craft beer - recipes that have been developed and refined (before being unleashed on a wider scale) to give a unique, drinkable, and flavorful experience without being cloying or over the top in flavor.

19. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

I have love for Widmer but mostly the stuff that does not see bottle release. Their one-off stuff is great.

20. ao125

ao125 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 Virginia

I liked the Galaxy hopped barleywine, but the raspberry stout and the Kill Devil were gross. The KD was an instant drainpour for me.

21. MusicaleMike

MusicaleMike Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2008 Pennsylvania

Their Hefeweizen (which is an American Wheat Beer) is a good beer, but plays well to people who like lighter styles. I personally have found their latest releases to be amazing: Citra Blonde, Drifter, Raspberry RIS, Kill Devil Brown, all of their Rotator IPA series...
    To the people that take issue with the AB connection, I find that mentality detrimental to the beer industry in general. Extrapolating from that point means that a lot more brands should be excluded from your drinking roster. Certainly, you need to stop drinking Goose Island, Terrapin, Kona, Widmer and Leinenkugel, but what about drinking beers from the beer distributors who stock AB/MillerCoors brands? Don't they make most of their money off of AB/MillerCoors, which helps them pay their bills, which allows them to get other craft beers out there? It just seems illogical to me to see craft beer drinkers avoid beers that they enjoy because they think they are helping out the beer world. I guess it doesn't really matter, and I know I've seen people usually conclude this type of argument/debate with the good 'ol "good riddance, more bcbs for me!" and that is where I will leave it haha

22. bcostner1

bcostner1 Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2010 Tennessee

SXNW was awesome!

23. Franch

Franch Devotee (451) Mar 22, 2011 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

kill devil is fantastic.

24. tronto

tronto Initiate (84) Dec 22, 2010 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Not sure why but in louisville we dont get anything but the ipa's.

25. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,014) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

You're in Minneapolis with Summit, Surly, even Schell at your disposal and you want us to understand your love for Widmer?

26. Douggo

Douggo Initiate (97) Oct 24, 2009 Minnesota

I like the Nelson, especially at its price point. And I bought KGB like crazy, priced about $13 a 12-pack. I find it curious that their bomber-sized beers are so expensive when their 12-ozers are so cheap. Kind of the anti-Stone in that regard.

27. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

Yes. They are good.

28. shand

shand Meyvn (1,424) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

The Rotator series has been consistently good and occasionally great, Drifter and Hefeweizen (yeah, Hefeweizen) are solid, and Nelson/Pitch Black are great when fresh.

Their latest release in the Brother's Reserve line, SXNW, is easily the best beer I've had from them though. Buy it if you see it.

29. smutty33

smutty33 Defender (627) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I liked Burr too w/the Simcoe action going on.
    I dug the x-114 as well,big citra fan here.
    Pitch Black is tasty,but there is a lot of old PB sitting on the shelves here.Some as much as a year old.

I don't love Widmer,but I like them.

Cheers

30. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2008 New York

I had their Dead Lift DIPA on tap early last year and thought it was very good. Don't know if it's still available in bottles.

31. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (463) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I've slowly been getting into more and more widmer brews. Glad that I have access to them in CT, however I think the thing that really stops me from buying more of their beers, is that I just don't hear too much about their brews and I don't know much about them.

I supposed I should check out their website and see what they're all about!

32. Norica

Norica Aspirant (237) Feb 2, 2006 Massachusetts

Okto is one tasty beer! Shame more US brewers don't make alts as it seems alts, oatmeal stouts, and nut browns were the go to styles of craft brewers in the early/mid 90's...miss some of those beers that were available in NE.

33. shand

shand Meyvn (1,424) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Deadlift was renamed to Nelson and should still be available.

34. DonDirkA

I just tried SXNW last night and it was really awesome. Their best beer, Brother's Reserve or not, that I have had.

[​IMG]
    Widmer SXNW (South by Northwest). Brewed with chilies, cocoa nibs, cinnamon and toasted pecans. Pours pitch brown (like a deep black/brown) with a rich brown head that dissipates to about 1 cm. Nose is cinnamon, a hint of chilies, those toasted pecans definitely come through and a bit of dark chocolate. There are also some notes of coffee, rich caramel and just a bit of dark fruit like plums. The taste is heavier on the coffee than the smell. Coffee, caramel, dark malts with only hints of chilies, cinnamon and some sweet, nutty flavors. The aftertaste reflects the spice notes from the chilies and cinnamon and some of the dark chocolate. This is definitely one of the best Widmer Brother's Reserve brews I have had. I have generally been disappointed but they always sound so good that I can't resist. Love it, but it could be more flavorful up front. All the spice notes come in well after
    on the back end.

IceAce likes this.
  35. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,433) Mar 18, 2010 California

What is the base beer supposed to be? Also, how much was the bottle?

36. DonDirkA

I'm not sure what the base is, they didn't say. It seemed to me like it was probably a brown ale though. The bottle was $12.75. Probably around $10.99 most places but this was from a local place that I love to support but their prices are usually .25-2.00 higher.

37. TheBoog013

TheBoog013 Aspirant (240) Feb 24, 2011 California

Alrhough I disagree, I respect those that have decided to avoid Widmer because of their corporate affiliations. That being said, i believe Widmer Bros. put out consistently outstanding products in their Reserve and Rotator series'. Kil Devil, Brrbon and SXNW are phenomenal in the Reserve series and Spiced IPA and O'ryely from last years Rotator series were fantastic seasonal IPAs. Widmer is always pushing bohndaries and taking chances, how many other breweries are making wheatwines and gozes? I think deserve more credit for thier portfolio and they've become one ofmy favorite choices.

38. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,699) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Okay, the Pitch Black is also very good but at about $9.50 a 4 pack, not THAT good.

39. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2011 Illinois

Kill Devil Brown was a drainpour...

abecall98 likes this.
  40. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (5,415) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Agree with the OP, Deadlift is pretty good when fresh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.