Can you ID the hops in your beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by EdRoss, Apr 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BEERchitect

BEERchitect Poo-Bah (12,951) Feb 9, 2005 Kentucky
    Society

After homebrewing about 300 batches of hoppy styles, I feel that I have gotten a pretty good handle on the game. Having said that, I would only have confidence with the 20% or so of the more popular varietals. Most of the time, I'll guess at least to one of their reasonable substitutions if not the actual hop used itself. And I have also noticed that I only have a reasonable opportunity to guess hops in beers that only use 2 or 3 varieties, max. More than that and they all blur together. And it also helps if the hops have been used in a dry-hop phase so that the aroma, flavor and bitterness can help to triangulate a particular character that relates to specific hops. Also, some hop varieties are more distinctive than others, and those are easier to guess. In other words, I feel like I can do this better than most folks, but I'm still not particularly good at it at all.

2. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (524) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

Kinda. It helps that I brew and I know the hops that go into my beers. But I probably wouldnt 'do very well in a blind test.

3. timotao

timotao Disciple (300) Sep 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

Mosaic is the only one. It has a very distinct aroma and flavor that I don't get from any other hop.

4. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

nice thread. I can dial in on certain varietals like Citra and Mosaic. Others I have a harder time with.

5. bmeGT

bmeGT Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 Georgia

I'm so glad this threat got started. There are a few beers in particular that have been right up my alley but I couldn't pin point the hops in them. They give off that smokey taste. Anyone know which do this? The beers I can think of in particular that do this are Celebration Ale by Sierra Nevada and Vortex IPA by Fort George.

6. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (2,682) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Mosaic is the easiest for me to identify, because I don't like it very much, other than that, Citra has become easy as has Nelson

7. TWStandley

TWStandley Crusader (737) Jan 15, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

I can definetely detect some hops...i.e. Nelson, Citra, Sorachi...but some are so similar and masked by other flavors in a beer that it is damn near impossible.

8. Aaron_Kerkvliet

Aaron_Kerkvliet Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2014 Wisconsin

I would say most ID notes as apposed to specific hops. Do home brewers have better luck with this as they deal with the raw product?

9. Beer-Revelry

Beer-Revelry Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2015 Texas

Lemondrop and Sorachi! :wink:

10. Mark-Leggett

Mark-Leggett Poo-Bah (1,673) Jul 30, 2014 Missouri
    Society

I am not this cool, my palate has come a long way but can't do this yet

11. Kendo

Kendo Poo-Bah (2,959) Dec 23, 2005 New York
    Society

Can you ID the hops in your beer?

Nope. I just assume they're all 21.

Ilovelampandbeer likes this.
  12. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,460) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

13. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

Correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure i can identify motueka based on the onion character it gives off...pretty sure its the main hop used in all green everything by other half and hop ranch by victory

Can identify mosaic pretty well too because society and solitude 6 is one of my favorite single hopped (nearly) beers ever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.