Canada Canada to US then back to Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Eagleray, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eagleray

    Eagleray Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2011 Nova Scotia (Canada)


    I'm traveling from Halifax into Quebec and then down into the White Mountains of New Hampshire and back to Canada. I was hoping to buy some beer in Quebec to take home but will that cause me any issues going into the US? I know I'm allowed 8.5 Litres of beer per person when going back to Canada. But if I bought it in Quebec that shouldn't have duty (keep reciepts).

    My issue is how will the US feel if I enter with 24 bombers from Quebec? Anybody do this?

    Thanks in advance for the advice.
  2. Torontoblue

    Torontoblue Disciple (371) Jun 12, 2005 Alberta (Canada)

    Just declare the amount (liters or ounces) you’re bringing. Shouldn’t be a problem. I crossed a while back with 4 bottles of wine and some beers for friends. Just declared it to the US border guys and paid nothing.
  3. JeanPaul

    JeanPaul Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

    Bringing alcohol (including homemade wine) to the U.S. for personal use

    Can I bring back alcohol for my personal use or as a gift?
    Generally, one liter of alcohol per person may be entered into the U.S. duty-free by travelers who are 21 or older, although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more. Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and Federal excise taxes, which will be assessed and collected at the port of entry.
    Alcoholic beverages purchased in duty-free shops are subject to duty and federal excise tax when accompanying you into the United States. Note: Federal excise tax rates are for informational purposes only as actual tax or fee may vary according to a person's circumstances.
    It is not legal for travelers under the age of 21 to import alcohol - even as a gift.
    Most States restrictions on the amount of alcohol that can be brought into that State apply only to residents of that State. Usually people transiting a state are not subject to those restrictions, but sometimes regulations change, and if this is a matter of utmost importance to you, you can check with the state Alcohol Beverage Control Board where you will be arriving to find out what their policies are.
    There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol a traveler may import into the U.S. for personal use, however, large quantities might raise the suspicion that the importation is for commercial purposes, and a CBP officer could require the importer to obtain an TTB import license (which is required for all commercial importations) before releasing it. A general rule of thumb is that 1 case of alcohol is a personal use quantity - although travelers are still subject to state restrictions which may allow less.
    NOTE: The above information is applicable to homemade wine and follows the same procedure as store bought wine. The bottles should be properly labeled.
    Duty rates on alcoholic beverages can be obtained in Chapter 22, "Beverages, Spirits and Vinegar," in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule. bringing in alcohol
  4. ericj551

    ericj551 Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2004 Alberta (Canada)

    I've never had a problem going into the US.
  5. JonnyBeers

    JonnyBeers Disciple (326) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

    Have been to US probably 100+ times, never been asked if I'm bringing in alcohol.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

    Founded in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

    Learn More
  • Our Community

    Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

    Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

    Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.