CANarchy Craft Brewery Collective to Operate as Monster Brewing Company

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by jesskidden, Feb 1, 2024.

1. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

https://www.streetinsider.com/related.php?id=22701344&type=pr

2. cryptichead

cryptichead Grand Pooh-Bah (3,813) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

MutuelsMark, PapaGoose03, Rug and 3 others like this.
  3. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, it's something, huh?

I went looking for it (maybe someone else read it, too?) but I swear within recent weeks one of the industry news sources, maybe around the time of the BBC 3Q results stockholder communications, said that Truly and Twisted Tea have swapped places in the BBC line-up, with Twisted Tea now the majority of their barrelage, followed by Truly. (Apparently they still brew beer, too.)

This comment does not specifically say TT is their #1 brand but:
    4Q results don't come out until the end of the month.

4. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Pooh-Bah (2,629) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This will be confusing for consumers as most in craft think of InBev as the monster brewing company…

MutuelsMark, pjeagles, Rug and 2 others like this.
  5. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Grand Pooh-Bah (3,200) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The times, they are a changin'

As long as @Todd doesn't ditch BA and start a site for Twisted Tea variants, I can only sadly shake my head. The future implication is that more "hard" sodas and teas and energy drinks will supplant beer on shelves and in production. Also implies fewer beer drinkers, thus adding to the business reasons not to brew as much beer.
    So our task is obvious: we must educate people of the beauty and history of our favorite beverage. You know, actually advocate for it.

6. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,850) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The sign that my import honey hole was about to dry up was when they added these monster alcohol things by making space on the import shelf, and they put these demonic cans right at eye level. Above the Ayinger and Samuel Smith.

7. cryptichead

I've tried the Monster and Hard Mountain Dew tall boys. They're selling them everywhere out here at a very good price point. I can see why the younger generation would be into this stuff over beer. If I had a choice as a 16 year old to drink 40s of Olde English High Gravity or Hard Mountain Dew, I'd definitely pick the latter. It doesn't taste like punishment and is basically just soda with very little, to no alcohol bite. So I get it...but, of course, I'm also annoyed that it's just eating into the beer real estate in all the stores.

8. Rug

Rug Grand Pooh-Bah (3,300) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I definitely enjoy energy drinks (especially when I was younger) but the Hard Monster I had was so cloyingly sweet I'm not sure if I even would have enjoyed it when I was 16

9. Munimortal

Munimortal Initiate (95) Sep 13, 2018 Oregon
    Trader

I was just so disappointed with the Hard Mountain Dews being back sweetened with aspertain. They taste so close to the real thing, but the diet real thing. I find it hard to believe that they could not pasteurize then sweeten with real sugar.

10. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Pooh-Bah (2,262) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Wait....I thought our task was to drink more beer? :wink:

11. zac16125

zac16125 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,358) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That is really surprising, mainly because anyone that’s ever drank a Twisted Tea could vouch for the fact that you can’t drink more than one in a sitting.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  12. Hockeyguy

Hockeyguy Initiate (119) Jul 9, 2021 Texas

Of course, we all know that no 16 year old will be drinking either of these, because 16 is five years below the legal drinking age............:grimacing:

rgordon, jasonmason, ChicagoJ and 3 others like this.
  13. chrisiswhothisis

chrisiswhothisis Zealot (679) Dec 15, 2011 California
    Society

I'm a big Mtn Dew fan and could definitely see my younger self drinking this on the slopes (or before or after).

As far as a comment on the product itself goes, I feel like these drinks have been around forever. What's the real difference between these and St. Ides, Zima, Smirnoff Ice, etc etc? It's sweet and approachable to younger people and it has a name on it that people actually care about. No offense to those little cocktail four pack bottle things that used to be in back at the local liquor store.

14. cryptichead

St. Ides...those bring me back...I think the real difference is that the younger generation already has a solid connection with the brand (Mountain Dew and Monster) since the age of 13 (or whatever)....so it's a natural transition from soda to booze in one brand....vertical integration, get them while young, etc.

It's as if Marlboro had chocolate cigarettes readily available....which they probably did before regulation stepped in

ChicagoJ and chrisiswhothisis like this.
  15. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,146) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

Interesting. Seems like a pretty quick action to take for a beverage that has a strong chance of being a passing trend. Not like CANarchy was a particularly great name, either.

bluejacket74 and ChicagoJ like this.
  16. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Damn. Just saw a post from Wayne Wambles stating that Monster eliminated his position (Brewmaster, Cigar City) last week.

17. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Pooh-Bah (2,629) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Monster- Because isn’t beer better when brewed by members of the C-suite with Ivy League MBAs and attention to the bottom line than someone who has spent their life brewing for passion and flavor.

18. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,850) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Damn, at one point I really thought that an arrangement like canarchy was a good model for these nearly national brands going forward. Pretty sure I even pointed to canarchy as an example of it working. I was so naive

ChicagoJ likes this.
  19. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,146) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

That suuuucks. He deserves as much credit as anyone for pioneering modern big stouts.

20. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well, it didn't work out for the breweries or some of they employees, but it worked for the investment firms that put together and then sold CANarchy - Fireman > Growcore > Highbridge Capital Management > HPS Investment Partners